Fight back

Options
Gorgeous_George
Gorgeous_George Posts: 7,964 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Why doesn't somebody organise a campaign against the energy suppliers?

Not like the HGV drivers driving through London. How thick were they? Using fuel (and paying tax) to try to make their point.

What is needed is a campaign to move customers 'en masse' away from the first three companies to increase their charges. Maybe an intermediary could be authorised to change their members' suppliers on their behalf (I'm not volunteering).

GG
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.

Comments

• kermie101
    kermie101 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Why don't we all just use less? A concerted move to make sure all non-essentials are turned off (oops, I'm using juice on this PC right now!!!), nothing left on standby, all light bulbs are energy saving types, heat is turned down, layers are worn, curtains are closed to retain warmth, maybe we all take up old-fashioned hobbies instead of watching junk on tv just because it's on ....you know the sort of thing!

Then we pay them less, and maybe they figure out we're fed up paying through the nose for a UTILITY, not a luxury.
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    Maybe.

Or maybe not. The sceptic in me says that if we use less, they will charge more per unit. They need to maintain profits for shareholders.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • DGJsaver
    DGJsaver Posts: 2,777 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe.

Or maybe not. The sceptic in me says that if we use less, they will charge more per unit. They need to maintain profits for shareholders.

GG

You got that spot on GG
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    kermie101 wrote: »
    Why don't we all just use less? A concerted move to make sure all non-essentials are turned off (oops, I'm using juice on this PC right now!!!), nothing left on standby, all light bulbs are energy saving types, heat is turned down, layers are worn, curtains are closed to retain warmth, maybe we all take up old-fashioned hobbies instead of watching junk on tv just because it's on ....you know the sort of thing!

quote]

:T :T :T Totally agree :T :T :T As the saying goes when it comes to heating if your head and feet are warm then the whole body is warm. :T :T
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Maybe.

GG

GG,
    It is all too convenient to blame the huge rises in energy on "Profit for the shareholders."

2 points to consider:

Firstly Ebico are an excellent no profit company. Yet their prices are, on average, no cheaper than any of the other companies. Cheaper for low users and more expensive average/high users.

If excess profit is the reason for high prices, why can't Ebico undercut everone?

Secondly. BG increased their profits by 500% in 2007 and thus made approx £35 on each of their customers. In 2006 they made £7 from each customer. Not a huge factor I suggest.
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    Oh it is easy to get confused but I am surprised at you Cardew.

In 2006, British Gas' parent company, Centrica reported profits £1,442 million followed by operating profits of £1,950 million. It's easy to moderate profits when you choose to move the hideously high profits from the delivery company. Petrol Stations tell us that they make a penny per litre on fuel. Oh, that's ok then.

GG
  • DGJsaver
    DGJsaver Posts: 2,777 Forumite
    Options
    What kinds of a country do we live in?. I am brassed off as an englishman my country stinks. We have a bunch of dithering numptys in charge and the utility companies are just daylight robbers. These people are still making profits even without a rise in prices and we the sheep will just go on paying and they know it. Its time the regulator set a profit limit on the utilities above which they will be winfalled better still re-privatise the lot of them
    they seem profitable so a good investment...
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Oh it is easy to get confused but I am surprised at you Cardew.

In 2006, British Gas' parent company, Centrica reported profits £1,442 million followed by operating profits of £1,950 million. It's easy to moderate profits when you choose to move the hideously high profits from the delivery company. Petrol Stations tell us that they make a penny per litre on fuel. Oh, that's ok then.

GG

GG
    I am not confused.

I agree that Centrica are the parent company and their profits are high; however thats because their assets(energy) have risen in value because of the rise in world world energy prices.

Surely that is no different to say a property development company who finds it housing stock has risen in value.

You can hardly expect Centrica to sell its energy for below the world market price to BG, when it can get a higher market price from abroad or other UK companies.

In the same way you couldn't expect the property company to sell its assets at below the market value.

However leaving aside the above argument, even if you take Centrica's profit of £1,442 million. That is still less than £100 per BG customer.

So the entire Centrica and BG profits are not the reason for the huge increases in price we are paying.

Also as discussed in another thread, gas prices in UK were amongst the lowest in Europe. Doubtless these latest rises will put us up the 'league', however it is a fair bet that the price will rise in other countries.

P.S.
    I clearly believe that there is scope for international scrutiny on how the energy price market operates - but to expect any individual company to sell below market price is just not realistic.

The Parlimentary Committe on Energy supply that sat recently makes interesting reading - all available on the Web.
  • GhostHunter_3
    Options
    :mad: The cosy fat cats are alreasy preparing to curl up by their well stoked fires without a care for the rest of us. Then they boast to us next year about their multi million pound profits and pay increases. Its then we kick up a fuss as to the number of us having to go without, suffering fueal poverty. Babies and 'oap's' struggling with ill health in turn pushing up the strain on the NHS.

Isnt it about time we reverted back to 1 of everything and stuck with it?

IE 1 gas supplier, 1 electricity board, 1 flat rate council tax, 1 water board, 1 waste water company etc etc etc.

We all want to live in a fairer world so on the other end of the scale maybe minimum wage should be brought to all AND set mortgages.

Its easy to see how other countries are at war and suffering under their governments.

:eek:

Rant over ok so I made a fool of myself but at least ive got warm jumping up and down on the spot :o;)

I just cant help but rant when my energy supplier wont care enough to help. Because of their 'estimated' readings theyve increased my monthly bill from £50 to a whopping £133 a month. I am struggling to pay £50, I have a debit with eon of £333 so cant ditch and switch to save money (lol thats a laugh) and all eon can say is contact my benefits office to arrange a 3rd party deduction so they take even more money off me reducing my already low income. I have more going out than I have coming in on priority debts alone, before food / shopping and price hikes!

now I hear soon the res going to be yet another price hike of 35% (?)and I bet thats not going to be the lasat one this year! :(
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    It's a virtual monopoly.

I remember when council houses were sold by the Tories to buy votes. Housing stock was sold for less than market value then (and still is) - I guess that was ok?

GG
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure