follow on from cautious manged fund enquiry

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
2 replies 449 views
kevin09061960kevin09061960 Forumite
7 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
Many thanks for imput so far muchly appreciated I have taken on board your advice and comments......
On visiting the Halifax tied rep today he informs me that my cautious managed fund is under performing due to the weight of my portfolio in Bonds and somewhat guilts as well as the fall in stock market shares (a double wammy as he likes to call it)? he has advised me to pull a percentage of funds out of bonds (more like a deposit account with risk) and reinvest in stocks and shares as historically long term these are a better option but with a greater risk? both me and my wife have exactly the same portfolio in class c shares as follows: we invest £400 per month each into our plans:
£ £
Fund No of shares price per share value

Uk growth 753.319 .4163 313.607
Uk equitiy income 660.982 .4646 307.092
Corporate Bond 1,422.375 .2331 331.556
Int growth 454.898 .2331 165.264
cautious manged 37,336.268 .2686 10,028.522

We are both in our mid 40s and have sufficient funds in case of emergency's we also have a collective investment plan worth £6149.77 which we froze back in March 08 and have lost money on that also..... I need to release £6k of my funds in Oct 09 but apart from that can carryon investing for the next 2 -3 years at least, again has anyone any advice PLEASE....as I don't want to make the wrong decision, but then again what is right or wrong??????

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    So, the tied sales rep is telling you to switch money in a lower risk fund into a higher risk fund? (at least I hope its switch as telling yo to take the money out and reinvest would be a mis-sale - if you were to complain).

Still not convinced and doesnt change the fact you are with a bank with a very poor fund range that doesnt cover enough sectors and doesnt give enough choice. You are concerned with capital loss in the short term so going higher risk on a larger amount only makes the potential for short term losses much greater. It may go up quicker in the short term but it will go down quicker as well.

So, I am not impressed with the sales reps response.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    again has anyone any advice PLEASE....as I don't want to make the wrong decision, but then again what is right or wrong??????

Go and see an Independent Financial Adviser and get him to re-register your funds with a fund supermarket. Then he/she can advise what would be best for you too.

As has already been said the Halifax is a rubbish place for investments.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals