Easyjet add Insurance Automatically

Options
I see when you cost a flight now with Easyjet they automatically add £10 per person travel insurance.
Bloody nerve.
It`s then up to you to remove it if not needed.

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    A lot of travel companies do this not just Easy Jet. It just shows that you have to be awake these days when making an online booking.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I thought they were an airline, not a travel insurance sales shop!

It is annoying.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    richardw wrote:
    I thought they were an airline, not a travel insurance sales shop!

It is annoying.

But lucrative!
    Around a third of the premium before Insurance tax is their commission.
    Eric
  • kevinyork
    kevinyork Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I personally dont resent this as much as others. There are regular stories of people travelling abroad and needing medical care or even worse repatriation and not having travel insurance.

Low cost flights have made it so easy and cheap for people to travel short haul and I think many may overlook the need to think about insurance.

If nothing else seeing it on the website will make people think about insurance whether or not they pay Easyjets price for cover.

Also nowadays many website add on possible extras when buying online e.g. currys add on a printer lead automatically when buying a printer online and you have to tick to remove it.

Even if someone does miss the Easyjet inclusion of insurance there is a cancellation period, usually 14 days, so people can cancel the insurance bit.

Kev
  • GH
    GH Posts: 366 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Get a life people. If you've got the intelligence to post on here you've got the intelligence to not pay for unwanted insurance.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Easyjet are not the only one who "link sale" with insurance. The trainline.com website does the same on train tickets.

I recently booked a holiday with Eclipse (First Choice direct division) and they added a voluntary charity contribution on, which I didn't want to join in with so I cancelled it.

As long as it's up front and you have the opportunity to cancel, I can't see what the problem is.

It's no different to Woolies offering a low price DVD when you're at the checkout, or Holland and Barret trying to sell you their healthy magazine etc.
    Here I go again on my own....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport