Hard Water Question...

(by the way, be gentle this is my first post)

Along with a lot of the country I live in a hard water area, Middlesex. I am hopeing to complete on a new house in Feltham before Christmas however I am concerned about the really large build up of Calcium/Limescale? on my taps, appliances and plumbing.

I have rented in the same close as I am buying and have experienced many problems with this build up on my taps etc.

The obvious solution is to buy a filter however (and this is my question) there are a couple of Companies offering different types of filters that fit onto my water inlet at different costs and I have no idea how to compare the pros and cons, yet I don't want to just go on their word or waste money!

I understand that an electromagnetic derived system would appeal in the long term (low running costs and keep good bits found in hard water) but not sure which one.

TIA
Kenny

PS I will be asking for a water meter (thanks to MSE), changing energy supplier (thanks to MSE) and also decided on MDLA (thanks to MSE),
so thank you x 3

Comments

• djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    This is from a thread I posted on back in April, with slight modification:-

I also live in a hard water area and fitted a Salamander Microwave over 2 years ago. Similar to the ScaleWatcher. I can't believe the difference. Used to have to clean the shower head at least every 3 months and haven't had to touch it since. And the kettle is still clean. I bought mine from Travis Perkins at a discount for £49.94 but think the retail price is around £80. I think if you go direct to Salamander they will sell for around what I paid. I seem to remember being told that when I contacted them after I bought mine.
    In addition to having a 5 year warranty against faulty workmanship it also has a 6 months unconditional satisfaction or money back guarantee. (Proof of purchase required)
    Salamander(Eng) Limited
    Reddicap Trading Estate,
    Sutton Coldfield,
    West Midlands,
    B75 7BY
    Tel: 0121 378 0952
    Or 0121 378 4508

I should add that the electricity consumption is negligible.

I had better say that I don't have any connection with this company whatsoever except for being a very satisfied customer.
  • Hey up!
    I had a scalewatcher installed but i'm afraid these (electromagnetic) devices don't live up to the hype. Basically they only work if the water is constantly flowing..if you go away for a while you will find that scale will start to build up again. In the end i bought a water softener and the water is absolutely luxurious... :) You can pick up water softener starting at about £300 (homebase) to £1000 depending on type but sometimes you can get them even cheaper on ebay.

Hope this helps
    Telabria Skylink 3Mbps
    3364 Kbps Download
    605 Kbps Upload

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts