PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    th_3c1078fd.gif

goodnite all see you tomorrow

KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Sosh
    Sosh Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Have already spent £170 :eek: . I have had to spend in hospital cafes. Thankfully the hospital visits are now over.

I have also spent the last 2 weeks without a kitchen, so have had to resort to takeaways. My new cooker was installed earlier today so i can now cook again :j
    Thanks to all the lovely people on here I have managed to cut my hours down to 2 days a week, allowing me to spend more time with my gorgeous Children. :j
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Options
    NSD for me today.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • gsysezz
    gsysezz Posts: 557 Forumite
    Options
    I had an expensive day as bought lots of spices. But I made a gorgeous Chicken Jalfrazi which even with the spices was probably on a par with a takeout cost wise. Next time it will be a bit cheaper :-)
    Toxic & Tired - Starting 2010 afresh :beer:
  • heatherbelle_3
    Options
    I got lots of bargains in the reduced section of Mr T's to then get home and realise I forgot the milk..grrr! It all adds up and my corner shop certainly doesn't help!

Though I'm on £81 so far, and OH is away next week so I can do an essentials shop living on basics while he is on buisness eating out for free each night!
    I miss using my infinite coupons at Tesco!
    2010 was the worst year ever :(
    But 2011 so far has been a lot of fun! :j

• Brighton_belle
    Options
    curry queens currybase+ korma is fab and has helped me make some chicken go a long way. Picked up 4 pigs trotters for free from my lovely butcher to try out next week:D . Hopefully have now bought all meat for the month, had major stock up on mail order spices and only need f&V and milk for the rest of the month. So over half the budget spent in week one but biggest spends done.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I made the mistake of popping in to Home& Bargains :o Spent £10.51 :eek::eek: £5 on travel passes for the day (but since we made 11 bus journeys they paid for themselves ;) Approximate cost of the buses would have been £25 otherwise :eek::money::D )

Spent an additional £5.86 (£3 on sunglasses for DD :rolleyes: ) which I hadn't budgeted for at all. Time for a couple of days at home I think to try and off-set the spending :o

Current standings :
    Groceries = 34.92/40.00:eek:
    Travel = 9.85/20:D
    Non-budgeted = 5.86:o
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi I've had a couple of nsd, hubby bought some milk to I've taken it off my total.
    I'll probably spend at Home Bargains tomorrow though, hubby needs some cans of coke.
  • Flylady_Flower
    Options
    Evening all.

Well, have just updated spends :eek: - teach me not to make sandwiches for work eh! - guess what I'll be doing next week....

Am having a clearout this weekend - cooking, cleaning and nagging - I can see it now - dogs hiding in the garden, hubby hiding in the garage and DS hiding in his bedroom 'tidying' ... :rotfl: hehe, I love it, they've both been home all week while I've been working and the place has turned into chernoble after the bomb... :eek: , even after they've supposedly 'tidied' up!!!... (stacking stuff in the corner does not constitute tidying up in my books! :mad: )

Anyway, moan over - :j :j Hubby has a job that he starts Monday :j :j so panic over thank goodness... Money would have run out by end of next week but I work for a wonderful, wonderful friend who is paying me now for the whole of August to see us through, so, in the words of Gloria Gaynor 'We will survive!'

After scareing myself half to death over the spends this week, I am on crackdown now - we have loads of HM 'readymeals' in the freezer and I am baking this weekend so should not need to spend much - top up tomorrow (hate shopping on a Saturday) and hopefully nothing else.

Have a great weekend everyone - Den x
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • gillaman
    gillaman Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    Another NSD for me today - 6 in a row so far. Had to go to chemist for pescription and passed Mr T on the way there and on the way back to the car without going in. It's a small shop and I never buy "proper shopping" there but often get myself a maple and pecan pastry, or a cheese twist (or two!). Shows what the GC does for you!

Put some more yoghurt on last night and it worked. Found this website recently http://www.mamtaskitchen.com and there's a yoghurt recipe on there which requires you to boil the milk, then let it cool down to tepid then add the starter. I did this, but also added a dessertspoon of skim milk powder before starting to boil the milk. Put the yog in the fridge this morning and it's now very rich and creamy. I made a chickpea and courgette casserole for dinner this evening and added a dollop. Tasted good.
    Dec GC £100/76.61/16.46/10.19 - £103.26
    Jan GC £100/64.20/20.91 (£14.89 left)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family