To Change Or Not To Change

Options
I am thinking about changing to broadband but am not sure if it's worth it. I currently pay 14.99 per month on wanadoo anytime and am looking at their broadband package. Some days we don't use the internet at all but others it could be up to approx 5 hours.

Am I correct in thinking that your computer is connected to the internet 24/7 if it's switched on or not. If so, is it safe? I have Norton Internet Security 2005. Also what does the 1m, 2m connection mean?

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Comments

• alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    Options
    Why not stay on dial-up and switch to https://www.fast4.net for £6-99 a month unlimited
  • Spinner
    Spinner Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    It's definitely worth switching to broadband, with costs as they are now. I would suggest a service like Tiscali's, which costs just £14.99 a month with no limits on downloads. However, their customer service isn't that good, so look at the other options.

I would steer clear of Wanadoo for broadband - they were fine for dial-up (used them before broadband) but all of their packages have download limits - not something I like.

Regarding safety and always-on connections - you should be OK with Norton Internet Security - just make sure you update it regularly. The computer isn't at risk when it's switched off.

256Kb, 512Kb, 1Mb, 2Mb, etc, refer to the speed of your connection. Opt for 512Kb or more - 256Kb is rather slow by broadband standards. 512Kb is about 9-10 times faster than dial-up; 1Mb is about 18 times as fast. The faster the better (duh).

Ditch dial-up - you won't look back!
  • seaniboy
    seaniboy Posts: 1,435 Forumite
    Options
    broadband? try BT, some great offers just now ;)
    If I helped or saved you money - Thank me
    If I helped you spend some money - spank me
    If I done both - :lipsrseal me:eek:
    :D
    ;)
  • Irishorangutan
    Options
    most definitely worth it. Even for less frequent use. you will be amazed at the difference.
    26/09/2017 - Started comping again. Wins so far: 1!
    11/10/17 - Capture Kill Release on DVD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport