Water Company Rip Off

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
4 replies 4K views
CHATS_2CHATS_2 Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
At last, I am pleased to see a forum exists to air views on the scandal of Water Companies charging customers for a service they do not provide.
Your readers may or may not be aware, that they are charged for the discharge of storm water into the sewers.(This is the water that comes off the roof of your house) My experience and a lot of people I have spoken to is they have soak aways (Holes in the ground adjacent to your property). This means that customers can get the money back for this charge. Remember the Water Companies are private businesses and your money goes to service the profits. I think it is scandalous for any company to charge for a service they do not provide. A simple check is to mix up some food colouring and tip it down your outside drain. Get a colleague to look into the sewer manhole. If the coloured water does not come through apply for your rebate.Please be aware the Water Companies make this process as difficult as possible for customers, and it could take months for you to get a rebate, but be persistant. Best of luck CHATS :

Replies

• I think you are right about being ripped off by these water companies we are in dispute with ours United Utilities their name and they certainly are united in what they do. I have been reading some of the messages posted on here, and the thing that stricks me is no one as really a clue about Meters including us. Let me tell you we have 2 water meters one on the side of the house so we can read it and one in the path outside, but get this they don't have the same reading so United Utilities takes the reading from the highest reading which is the meter on the path outside, we are at the moment being overcharged £280. This is enough go dispute about but as soon as this is sorted I am sure going to check on this top water. Their investors have had enough out of usTony
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Salfordman,

I appreciate you are new to the forum, but do you realise you have posted the same message of a couple of posts that are years out of date.

The last contribution to this thread was over 3 years ago!

In any case looking at your original thread on your dispute with United Utilities, it is by no means clear that they have made a mistake in your case.

Whatever you feel about the water supply industry being privatised, at least the Regulator(ofwat) has got teeth and has shown that he is prepared to use them.
  • I think you are right about being ripped off by these water companies we are in dispute with ours United Utilities their name and they certainly are united in what they do. I have been reading some of the messages posted on here, and the thing that stricks me is no one as really a clue about Meters including us. Let me tell you we have 2 water meters one on the side of the house so we can read it and one in the path outside, but get this they don't have the same reading so United Utilities takes the reading from the highest reading which is the meter on the path outside, we are at the moment being overcharged £280. This is enough go dispute about but as soon as this is sorted I am sure going to check on this top water. Their investors have had enough out of usTony

salfordman1. What you will find is that what United Utilities had tried to do some time back was when they installed a meter in the ground to include a remote reader that was above ground to allow easy access for customers to read the meter. Unfortunately it was later found that these remote readers were incorrect and is not something that they install any longer.

If you feel that you are being charged for more water than you use why not run a test.....the final 3 numbers in the meter read (should be red) are litres.

Fill a bucket with a set volume of water (say 10 litres) and check if the meter moves by 10 litres.

If you are unable to do the test yourself or find that it does not read the correct volume UU can perform a meter test for you HOWEVER if they find that the meter is OK you will have to pay for the test. (do your own first)

Thanks
  • withabixwithabix Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Let me tell you we have 2 water meters one on the side of the house so we can read it and one in the path outside, but get this they don't have the same reading so United Utilities takes the reading from the highest reading which is the meter on the path outside, we are at the moment being overcharged £280. This is enough go dispute about but as soon as this is sorted I am sure going to check on this top water. Their investors have had enough out of usTony

All of the above ground meters were abandoned several years ago (for reliability issues, just as poster above mentions). They were only ever for guidance only and were never used for billing. It might not even be connected to your water supply any more, especially if your underground meter has been replaced.

Your meter in the footpath will be accurate unless it has been somehow damaged.

How many people live in your house and what is your annual water bill?
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals