Is a Cellar classed as a 3rd bedroom???

Options
Hi

i need to know if a cellar is classed as a 3rd bedroom. i moving and i have found a house in a good price range with 2 reception rooms ( one is a dining room)and a celler.

i am working so HB is only to help me, but i dont know if the house is too big cause i am only allowed to have 2 bedrooms.

please note that the house is advertised as a 2 bed.

hope this makes sense

thanks.

Comments

• alwaysonthego_2
    alwaysonthego_2 Posts: 8,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why is it decked out as a bedroom? I can not imagined it would be classed as a bedroom, I have never heard of anyone wanting to sleep in a cellar out of choice, It would need to be damp proofed and would think it would be classed as a storage area.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Why is it decked out as a bedroom? I can not imagined it would be classed as a bedroom, I have never heard of anyone wanting to sleep in a cellar out of choice, It would need to be damp proofed and would think it would be classed as a storage area.

I know someone who has a cellar as his bedroom. Scares the life out of me (maybe that is a hint that I shouldn't be in there ;) )!

I also know someone that has a bar and disco set up in their cellar, and they live round the corner from Freddie Mercury's mum! (I'm really going off at a tangent now!)

If you are moving house it will prompt a change in circumstances, and so your HB claim would be moved over to LHA. Therefore the eligible amount is set, and it will not be adjusted due to the property not being the correct size.

You can find out more about LHA here, and you can also find out the LHA for your area on the same site.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • lolo06
    lolo06 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    the house has 2 bed rooms, i dont think the cellar has anything in it.i do think its just for storage but i just need to double check.

does the rent officer still come out to check the property??
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    i *think* a bedroom has to have a window to be classified as such, in that case would your cellar count?
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    clairec79 wrote: »
    i *think* a bedroom has to have a window to be classified as such, in that case would your cellar count?

I thought that too.

Why does the OP not check with the local planning office they are normally very helpful.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    My parents have their bedroom in the cellar... It is very nice down there though!

I guess a lot depends on whether it is plastered and has a proper floor in - that type of thing?

If we are talking about stone/brick walls and bare concrete floor, with all the household pipes visible in the ceiling area (thinking of the one at my parents before they did it up) then I can't see it can be classed as a room iyswim?
  • alwaysonthego_2
    alwaysonthego_2 Posts: 8,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dmg24 wrote: »
    I know someone who has a cellar as his bedroom. Scares the life out of me (maybe that is a hint that I shouldn't be in there ;) )!

I also know someone that has a bar and disco set up in their cellar, and they live round the corner from Freddie Mercury's mum! (I'm really going off at a tangent now!)

If you are moving house it will prompt a change in circumstances, and so your HB claim would be moved over to LHA. Therefore the eligible amount is set, and it will not be adjusted due to the property not being the correct size.

You can find out more about LHA here, and you can also find out the LHA for your area on the same site.

Is it more of a dungeon :eek: :eek: with leather whips!!!!
  • milliebear00001
    Options
    I think there are legal rules about using cellars (and attic conversions) as bedrooms. There are fire regulations that come into play in terms of adequate escape routes and so on. If this cellar has not been properly converted, and has no paperwork showing it has the appropriate fire reg provision, then it is doubtful that it could be legally described as a bedroom. Estate Agents (for example) cannot describe a house as 'three bedroomed' unless they have seen the fire reg paperwork for any attic or cellar conversions. Even if the room is used as a bedroom and has been plastered, veluxed, heated etc, it can still only be described as a two bed house on safety grounds.

I'd say 99% that you will be fine with this house as a two bedder.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Is it more of a dungeon :eek: :eek: with leather whips!!!!

No ...

He's got a separate room for that.
    :p;):p
    Gone ... or have I?
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you are moving you will only be paid a maximum of what they will pay for a 2 bedroom regardless of the size of the property.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure