References

Options
How can you get around if your former boss seems to stop you getting any other job because they don't like you? It seems a tricky one as you must have your most recent employer as a ref.
:beer:

Comments

• embelliss
    embelliss Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    I believe employers, when asked for reference, are not allowed to give a bad reference...
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you starting this thread, just to start a thread? Or do you have real grounds to think it is happening to you? If the latter, how many jobs have you applied for where your application has gone well up until the point where references were sought?
  • aurora_borealis_2
    aurora_borealis_2 Posts: 13,477 Forumite
    Options
    Employers must give a truthful reference.

I won't give them.
    de do-do-do, de dar-dar-dar ;)
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    embelliss wrote: »
    I believe employers, when asked for reference, are not allowed to give a bad reference...

What do you mean by "a bad reference"? If you mean one which is truthful but "negative" then I'm afraid your belief is incorrect.

Employers can give whatever reference they want - but would be well advised to consider the consequences of giving one which was factually incorrect or gave unsubstantiated opinions.

On the other hand, an employer shouldn't give an "excellent" reference if it were actually misleading a potential employer because the employee had performed badly in their employ.
  • studentphil
    studentphil Posts: 37,640 Forumite
    Options
    This has happened to me got a job, 1 good reference and then some negative comment on the other reference and that is it, no job.
  • studentphil
    Options
    As I understand it, what has happened is because I had two nasty customers whilst working there that that means my ref says I am not suited to customer facing jobs and yet I dealt with hundreds or thousands of other people successfully- so it is not right reflective.
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Put down different referees. There's no law which says you have to put down that employer.
  • studentphil
    Options
    Conor wrote: »
    Put down different referees. There's no law which says you have to put down that employer.

Most application forms ask for the most recent employer.
  • tinkerbell84
    tinkerbell84 Posts: 5,323 Forumite
    Options
    Oh dear Phil. Do you mean your social housing job offer has been withdrawn?

What happened with those one or two problematic customers that your old boss has commented on?
  • studentphil
    Options
    Oh dear Phil. Do you mean your social housing job offer has been withdrawn?

What happened with those one or two problematic customers that your old boss has commented on?

It does.

They shouted at me a bit and they complained to the boss because I said I wouldn't deal with them if they were going to be off hand.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport