edited 15 June 2010 at 2:33PM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
190 replies 81.1K views

Replies

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    44.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    misst1954 wrote: »
    can u claim childcare cost if it's a grand parent that looks after your child?
    Fliss_M wrote: »
    no. You can only claim childcare costs when they are supplied by a registered child minder or nursery. Even if the grand parent registered, they would have to look after more then just your child. Tho I am surprised grand parents would charge, certainly the type of amounts that would mean you got credits (about £130+ per week)
    Actually I think that's yes, you can claim if a grandparent looks after your child, BUT only if they register as a childminder AND look after other children. and if you want grandparents to provide as much childcare as you'd have to pay £130+ for elsewhere, expecting to get it on the cheap would be very unfair on the grandparents!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Help! My child is due to leave primary school in July and as a result I will no longer need to have child care vouchers. I stopped subscribing to the scheme quite some time ago and due to changes in circumstances my amount of child care i require has dramaitically reduced. This has now left me with a large amount of credit and I need to know how to reclaim this back. I am aware that I haven't paid tax on this money. I have paid all the vouchers to my child care provider so the 'scheme' doesn't have any of the outstanding credit.
  • izoomzoomizoomzoom Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Am I correct in understanding that the childcare provider has already received these voucher payments. If this is the case, you need to ask the childcare provider to refund the funds back to the voucher company who in turn can refund it to you / your employer and then you will pay the applicable tax.

If the voucher company is sitting on the credit, just ask them to refund it to you ...
  • Frosty39Frosty39 Forumite
    2 Posts
    If a child can have 15 hours free care the term after their third birthday, does this get reflected when claining for childcare tax credit? For example a parent states on the form that their child attends a nursery for 5 days a week at a cost of thirty pounds a day. does the child tax credit office pay a percentage based on the hundred and fifty pounds paid a week by that family or do they take off the amount that child gets free (15 hours a week) and then pay the percentage based on this new figure?
  • onlyrozonlyroz Forumite
    17.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would imagine it was based on the amount the parent actually pays for childcare.
  • GobbledyGookGobbledyGook Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Frosty39 wrote: »
    If a child can have 15 hours free care the term after their third birthday, does this get reflected when claining for childcare tax credit? For example a parent states on the form that their child attends a nursery for 5 days a week at a cost of thirty pounds a day. does the child tax credit office pay a percentage based on the hundred and fifty pounds paid a week by that family or do they take off the amount that child gets free (15 hours a week) and then pay the percentage based on this new figure?

They pay the percentage of what the parents are actually charged. So if their bill goes down due to the free hours they should let tax credits know accordingly.
  • Fliss_MFliss_M Forumite
    688 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    they dont take the amount off for you, you need to take it off and tell them the new amount. but its more complicated then that. My nursery costs have gone down by £52.50 per week (roughly) and I pay full time figures. But they gov pay a set fee. But also it doesnt cover full time. so I have had to work out my nursery costs till March next year, divide that total by the number of weeks till the next tax year and that gives a good weekly figure for the tax credits.
    Back to my comping ways :beer:
    3 beautiful daughters, a hairy bear 🐻 and a big blue Barry :love:

Praying for that Lotto win! :rotfl:
  • Question: I currently do the maximum £243 salary sacrifice on childcare vouchers and am a 40% tax-payer, and want to know whether when I change employer, still in same tax bracket, I can continue at this rate or will I have to reduce due to changes introduced in April 2011? Any advise welcome, thanks
  • onlyrozonlyroz Forumite
    17.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question: I currently do the maximum £243 salary sacrifice on childcare vouchers and am a 40% tax-payer, and want to know whether when I change employer, still in same tax bracket, I can continue at this rate or will I have to reduce due to changes introduced in April 2011? Any advise welcome, thanks
    I think you will have to change once you set up a new scheme.
  • Hadwin_2Hadwin_2 Forumite
    6 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I'm a longtime reader first time poster.

My wife and I are toying with the idea of sending our son to Private School. He's 8 years old. Can we use child care vouchers? If not, Why not?
    If the answer is no, which knowing the HMRC it prob is, what's the most tax effective way to pay the fees and can I get tax relief.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides