Natwest £50 savings cashback loophole

Options

Comments

• obsessed_saver
    Options
    Dagobert wrote: »
    I spoke to NatWest and they confirmed that setting up a standing order from an external account will qualify me for the offer. It was also confirmed that the SO can be set up AFTER the account has been opened; in other words it does not have to be set up the SO via NatWest.

I have a recording of the call.

I have also just been told this on the phone about 15 minutes ago. I was calling to see if I can get them to send me an SO form, but the lady went offline to speak to someone, and came back to say all I have to do is put in £100 every month by standing order.

I have no idea how they will find out whether it's just a regular payment I'm clicking "Send" every month from my external current account, or whether it's an SO.

Anyway, I'm glad Dagobert has a recording of the message. We might need it in a year's time. :D
  • RoughRook
    Options
    How long have applications taken to process?

Myself and my wife applied 3 weeks ago for the Young Savers accounts for our 2 young kids. The only ID we initially sent was our kids birth certificates.

My wife (she's not on the electoral register) received a reply last week asking for ID evidence. She sent back a Child Tax credit letter addressed to herself.

I have yet to hear anything about the application for the account i'm trying to open in trust for my son.
  • Dagobert
    Dagobert Posts: 1,625 Forumite
    Options
    Dagobert wrote:
    it [the SO] does not have to be set up the SO via NatWest
    I have no idea how they will find out whether it's just a regular payment I'm clicking "Send" every month from my external current account, or whether it's an SO.

They don't. A SO is just a repeated payment for your convenience. It uses the underlying payment mechanism (BACS or possibly FP these days).

I have had dozens of regular savings accounts, most of which state that payments need to be made via SO. I make all payments manually and they mature nicely.
    I'm glad Dagobert has a recording of the message. We might need it in a year's time.
    Ofcom on phone recordings: The relevant law, RIPA, does not prohibit individuals from recording their own communications provided that the recording is for their own use.
    Dagobert
  • Dagobert
    Dagobert Posts: 1,625 Forumite
    Options
    You can only set up payees online if you request a card and card reader.

If you set up a payee over the phone, will this be available for online payments?

Payees the RBS has set up over the phone for me are not available online.
    Dagobert
  • LongTermLurker
    Options
    Dagobert wrote: »
    You can only set up payees online if you request a card and card reader.

If you set up a payee over the phone, will this be available for online payments?

Payees the RBS has set up over the phone for me are not available online.
    Yes - see my post on 15 Aug: Just phoned them, asked to set up a payee, logged out, logged in and transferred a quid

You say it's not available online - give them a ring tomorrow to check it has gone through properly, but mine was available instantly I logged back in.
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • John_0771
    John_0771 Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    So, I want to get this straight, I can put £100 in each month after doing so I can take it out again and place it in another bank.
    Would it be possible to 'Recycle' the £100, for example if I put £100 into it from my Nationwide account then took it out and put it back into my Nationwide then next month do the same?
  • LongTermLurker
    Options
    John_0771 wrote: »
    So, I want to get this straight, I can put £100 in each month after doing so I can take it out again and place it in another bank.
    Would it be possible to 'Recycle' the £100, for example if I put £100 into it from my Nationwide account then took it out and put it back into my Nationwide then next month do the same?
    Yes, that's what a lot of people (I suspect) will be doing. I'd suggest you leave £1 in, and leave the money in at least 24 hours before transferring it back out again.

(edited cos YB pointed out I'm a div! :o )
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd suggest you leave £1 in, and don't forget to leave the money in at least 24 hours before transferring it back out again.

I think you may have missed a couple of words out LTL? ;)
  • LongTermLurker
    Options
    I think you may have missed a couple of words out LTL? ;)
    Ah, you know what I meant ;). Actually, I put in a word too many :p

Reminds me of a quote on a certain fund manager's website (I shouldn't say who): "Past performance is necessarily a guide to future returns" - DOH!
  • oscarhugo
    oscarhugo Posts: 492 Forumite
    Options
    I opened accounts in (1) my name and (2) wife's name a coupla weeks ago & filled in the forms to set up S/Os. The S/O in my name has appeared OK in my Halifax current a/c but, more than one week later, wife's S/O still fails to appear in her cahoot a/c. So, we have got fed up of waiting & have set up the cahoot S/O ourselves on-line [now that we know the Natwest a/c no. & sort code].
    Expect the worst & hope for the best...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport