Usb Dongle For A Pc That Is Not Able To Take Wireless Router

Options
victory
victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
just spent 3 hours on virgin media help line, got their netgear wireless router today but it will not go wireless only works wired up so son cannot have x box upstairs in his bedroom, finally they decided that the packard bell tower is not compatible with wireless and to go and buy a usb dongle:rolleyes: no idea what that is where to get one will that work? What was the point of spending £40 on a wireless router that will not work other than being plugged into the back on the comp? Please help someone, son is threatening to come downstairs to plug in his x box and that is not happening:rotfl:
misspiggy wrote: »
I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)

Comments

• espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    victory wrote: »
    just spent 3 hours on virgin media help line, got their netgear wireless router today but it will not go wireless only works wired up so son cannot have x box upstairs in his bedroom, finally they decided that the packard bell tower is not compatible with wireless and to go and buy a usb dongle:rolleyes: no idea what that is where to get one will that work? What was the point of spending £40 on a wireless router that will not work other than being plugged into the back on the comp? Please help someone, son is threatening to come downstairs to plug in his x box and that is not happening:rotfl:

Have you assumed that your Packard Bell tower has wireless capability? What is the model number? If it is not WiFi enabled it will need either a PCI wireless card fitting or a USB dongle to allow a WiFi connection with your new router.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure if I'm unsderstanding correctly, but most desktop PCs don't come with wireless capability. They need a wireless card (e.g. http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=588596) or USB dongle (e.g. http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=588512) to make it wireless "capable" in order to talk to the wireless router.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • phildamb
    phildamb Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    I used to work for VM and the routers arent great with compatibility with other USB dongles. Go to PC world and tell them the model number of the router (its on the bottom of the router on a silver sticker) and they can tell you which usb dongle will work best.
  • espresso
    Options
    phildamb wrote: »
    I used to work for VM and the routers arent great with compatibility with other USB dongles. Go to PC world and tell them the model number of the router (its on the bottom of the router on a silver sticker) and they can tell you which usb dongle will work best.

Any make of router, dongle, PCI card will work together as they are all made to conform to the same 802.11 worldwide standard.

:rolleyes:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • phildamb
    phildamb Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    Any make of router, dongle, PCI card will work together as they are all made to conform to the same 802.11 worldwide standard.

:rolleyes:

Im afraid not. I speak from years of experience of dealing with the netgear routers. the 802.11a/b/g standards only cover the communication standard not the software standard which is what the netgear routers have the issue with. They need to support the same encryption methods.
  • superscaper
    Options
    They need to support the same encryption methods.

Which are also international standards. :confused:
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • espresso
    Options
    Im afraid not. I speak from years of experience of dealing with the netgear routers. the 802.11a/b/g standards only cover the communication standard not the software standard which is what the netgear routers have the issue with. They need to support the same encryption methods.

You seem to be saying that Netgear are crap! What particular encryption can they not cope with then?
  • victory
    victory Posts: 16,188 Forumite
    Options
    we bought a £60 wireless router adaptor for the x box from game, we bought today from virgin media netgearG router WGR614 v9 the packard bell tower is old model type UTOW -SUN model name IMEDIA 1508/2 IF ANy of that helps will be very grateful,the x box router is CE 0984
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • superscaper
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    You seem to be saying that Netgear are crap! What particular encryption can they not cope with then?

I've used netgear routers (and others) for years. I've yet to find a wireless (wifi) device that doesn't communicate with them or any mixture of manufacturers in fact. If it doesn't work then the settings/password are wrong. The encryption is not proprietary.
    Moss
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport