Blocked Sewer

Options
Hi All,

I would be very grateful for some advice on the following situation:

My neighbours have had some sewage backing up into their property and called out some drain guys on Saturday to have a look. They were there a while and now need access to all the properties in the terrace. No problems, but yesterday my neighbour has said they are returning to look at the problem from the other end of the sewer as there is 'no problem' at his end.

Now they haven't found the blockage yet, but if it is under our property will we be expected to pay? I haven't noticed a problem with our systems and I wouldn't have called them out over the weekend as it's really pricey.

The terrace is one of five so would we all be liable for our share (20% of the bill)?

What's the legal and/or moral case for this?

Thanks,

Earl

Comments

• coljacks
    coljacks Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I have had the same situation. It depends on who your provider is e.g. mine is United Utilities and as my property was built before 1930 the responsiblity remains with U.U. You can look online at your service provider f.a.q. and that should give you more info.

Also if there is a fault which requires a dig- as mine did, take pictures before and as work is going on, incase as they did with me, they make a mess off it.

Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport