Barclays have lost cash i paid in, where do i stand?

Options
Hello to everyone and thankyou in advance for your replies.

I paid £490 in cash into my local barclays branch on Monday, at 12.10pm.

I deposited it in the drop deposit box as the Q was massive.
I kept my tear off slip portion of the envelope and everything was filled out correctly, including the paying in slip.

Come 7pm the same eve i checked my online statement, and the money hadn't gone in. I rang the 0845 number to speak to someone and they informend me that nothing was showing at all.

The next day my rent came out along with me tv licence (i dont have an overdraft).

After speaking to the branch i paid it into, they checked all the envelopes for one matching the serial number i have on my tear off slip, but couldnt find it, so told me it must be stuck in the machine somewhere and that i had to wait till friday (tomorrow) for an engineer to come out and look.

A moment ago i got a call from the assistant manager, informing me the engineer had been and that my envelope was not in the machine.
He then proceeded to ask me what i was wearing that day etc, i presume to check cctv.

As it stands, i have £490 missing in barclays somewhere (or as i think in a member of the staffs pocket) i am £450 overdrawn, without an overdraft limit.
I have had 2 £30 charges put on (today and yesterday) due to going overdrawn.

I am so stuck and i dont know what to do!!
Can anyone help, does anyone know where i stand on this matter????
is officially a GLEEK

Comments

• Jvic28
    Jvic28 Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not really sure how these deposit boxes work but would the money have gone into you're account that day anyway. Therefore you may have received a charge if your rent came out the following day anyway.

The matter stands though that you are still missing the £490. I suppose as long as they can verify that you did deposit the money (cctv maybe) then they would have to compensate you accordingly.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.

x
    DMP Mutual Support Thread Member No 190
    17/05/08 - Total on DMP: £10025.70
    07/05/14 - Total on DMP: £1666.20 DFD: July 2017!!
    Baby Tomos born 5th June 2009 - 6lb 5oz :j
    Weight Loss Target - to lose 60.8lb by NYE 2015 - 37.6lb TO GO
  • doodledoodle24
    Options
    thanks, yes, they have a sign above it saying if you put cash in before 3pm then in goes in your account the same day.
    is officially a GLEEK
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks, yes, they have a sign above it saying if you put cash in before 3pm then in goes in your account the same day.

You are going to have to wait until Barclays verifies if the money has gone in by seeing if you where in the branch by looking the at the images from the CCTV cameras.

If they don't come back to you shortly then I suggest you contact customer services in writing. I don't know how long banks keep their CCTV tapes before recording over them.

In the mean time you need to contact Barclays and arrange an overdraft.

If the CCTV shows that you were in the branch then you can ask for the charges to be cancelled.

If the CCTV cameras show that you were not in the branch then unfortunately you have lost your money, and there is nothing you can do.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • Turtle
    Turtle Posts: 999 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I hope you get your money back. I realise this isn't a helpful thing to say right now but I would NEVER pay cash in through a machine, at least with a cheque there's an audit trail.
  • doodledoodle24
    Options
    thanks, i do too, but being heavily pregnant, in a rush and havin a 3 year old running around, i thought it was the easiest option! Safe to say i wont be doing it again!!!!
    is officially a GLEEK
  • hustle90
    hustle90 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Cash Deposit Boxes are unsafe because they are manually emptied by a member of staff, counted and then added to your account. A staff member could take your envelope and your money and no one can prove a thing.

I hope you get your money back and in the future, use the registers to pay money in. :)
  • PBA
    PBA Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Options
    hustle90 wrote: »
    Cash Deposit Boxes are unsafe because they are manually emptied by a member of staff, counted and then added to your account. A staff member could take your envelope and your money and no one can prove a thing.
    Except that, if the bank have CCTV that can prove whether or not the OP made a deposit, that same CCTV will show the person emptying the box and sticking the envelope in their pocket.

I'm not familiar with the deposit boxes at Barclays. Are they actually machines like HSBC have, where you swipe your card and get a printed receipt, or are they just a postbox? If it's the latter there's obviously no direct proof of a deposit being made, but the CCTV should tell them exactly what OP did in the branch, and then exactly what happened to the envelopes when the box was emptied.
  • Sammz
    Sammz Posts: 3,406 Forumite
    Options
    Don't know about all banks but I know Bank of Scotland have two people checking the envelopes.

Hope you get it fixed.
    OD Girls On Tour
    Barcelona 2008 - Dublin 2009
  • doodledoodle24
    Options
    you pull a handle down, which opens a shoot, you then put your envelope in it beeps to register it and you close the shoot.
    I re opened it to make sure it had dropped down, which it had.
    You dont put your card in or get a receipt.
    is officially a GLEEK
  • pamplemousse
    Options
    sorry to read about your problem withh barclays. thiis seems to be happening in quite a few banks. the problem is , that there is no proof of how much money you deposited .l believe you put the money in as you said, but unless they have a camera on the envelopes being emptied and counted showng your details they can say there was only £10 in an envelope. where is the proof? there was a similar post recently an after a lot of hastle the person got their money back l believe. the said as the money has gone missing the bank must report it to the police. dont let it go. ..... surely there must be a better system than this . good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure