Broadband help please.

Options
I am currently on AOL dial up and am really bored with the slow speeds and what not and am ready, finally, to get broadband.

I have a desktop computer in my bedroom which is roughly 15 metres from my phone box.

At christmas, I am getting my son a desktop for his room and am also getting a laptop (I've been waiting years for one, whoooooooo hoooooooo) ... ahem, anyway, obviously I will want all 3 connected to the internet.

Now, being absolutely useless at techy stuff, I need some advice.

What sort of broadband/wireless/thingy do I go for? I noticed Wanadoo do a wireless thingy, but have read some of the posts in here and they don't seem very positive. Does anyone know of any other wireless thingys I can get and where from?

As for usage, I'm guessing once my son gets his computer it will be up and running forever, and he'll be downloading music for his iPod and other stuff. I am doing a distance learning course and will obviously be online a lot and also have to download stuff.

Sorry it's long and drawn out but I've no idea where to start or what to do, and I have until Xmas day to get it sorted ... the clock is ticking ...

Thanks guys, all advice appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The best site for completely independant advice on broadband in the UK has got to be https://www.adslguide.org.uk You should be able to find pretty much every broadband supplier in the UK on there. If you click 'compare' (on the menu at the left hand side). You can compare up to 6 ISPs next to each other for speed, reliability and customer service (hover over the results bars for the amount of votes and percentage). You can refine your search by many terms (price, speed, length of contract etc). Each ISP has also got a message board, this is worth a look at so you can see if existing customers are having many problems or not. This is a good place to check out if you want to sign up to broadband, or switch suppliers.

The above site is completely independant. I've seen some comparison sites recommending certain broadband packages because they have an interest in promoting them (affiliate link etc).
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • meerustar
    meerustar Posts: 8,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thankyou, I've had a look and it has helped me a lot. Cheers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure