PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Save Zillions On Cleaning Products

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    After reading all the great uses for vinegar and bicarb, I was wondering if anyone has any good ways to get rid of snails in the garden (they keep eating my herbs). I also have hedgehogs so wouldn't want to harm them.
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    put some beer in a jar or can

bury it up to its neck in the soil

snails go right to it fall in cant get out agan

hedgehogs cant fit

;D
  • alicardinal
    alicardinal Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    I've been using the cheapest own brand dishwasher tablets and white vinegar instead of rinse-aid in my dishwasher since Christmas - works a treat!!

Even better if you stick half a lemon in with the plates :)
    Mortgage Pig: Gertrude
    Gertrude's estimated September accrual - £120
    Gertrude's actual accrual - Revealed October 1st!
  • System
    Options
    To remove grease spots from tiles use a blade scraper, Wilkinsons, B&Q etc and just scrape them off and then wash over, this wrks on oven glass doors as well
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    re the dishwasher

I dont buy dishwasher powder  (ive posted this elsewhere)  my cuz works in unilever ellesmere port and told me its just soap powder  without the perfume
    so for 11 years Ive been using a teaspoon of soap powder in the dishy  daily. and ive got sparkly plates

sometimes you can smell the perfume  so  I usually turn it to a rinse again  and its fine

vinegar in the rinse aid  and once a month run a vinegar wash  

voila   ;D ;D

and the dishwasher is fine, if it conks out now ive had it since may 93 so I dont mind ;D ;D
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    After reading all the great uses for vinegar and bicarb, I was wondering if anyone has any good ways to get rid of snails in the garden  (they keep eating my herbs).  I also have hedgehogs so wouldn't want to harm them.

Salt works a treat on huge big slugs that invade my garden...best not watch what happens though 8)
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Really great tips!  

I've tried using the vinegar in my laundry washing but am unsure at what stage I should add the vinegar.  And do I still add softner?  Can I add vinegar and softner simultaneously?

I haven't checked this out yet but maybe somewhere like Makros, Bookers or Costco would sell larger quantities of white vinegar (5 Lts) in their catering sections - but this means having access to these warehouses.

the idea is to use the vinegar in the last rinse instead of a softener

I use about half  a capful
    (softener capful that is or about 2 tablespoonfuls)
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    snails and slugs leeerrrrve beer

bury a jar with some beer in the bottom up to its neck in the garden hither and thither

then the snails and slugs climb in get drunk and cant get back out

then you tip them out the next morning

;D
  • System
    Options

the idea is to use the vinegar in the last rinse instead of a softener

I use about half  a capful
    (softener capful that is  or about 2 tablespoonfuls)

Doesn't this make your clothes smell??
  • cathy_3
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    when they first come out of the wash there might be a slight smell but that goes COMPLETELY when they are dry

you can make your own softner thingy if you wet a flannel or sponge soaked in a bit of diluted comfort then squeezed out (save the squeezings for next time)
    and put that in the dryer if you want

but the vinegar gets all the soap out of the washing and there is no need for softner then

also borax in the wash at first gets all the harmful chemicals out that the powder puts in
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback