Custome And Excise Seize My Goods? ? ?

Options
i have saved up for months to go on a booze cruise to save on tobacco alcohol and cigarettes.i went this weekend and spent a total of £700 including travel.i brought back the recommended amount set out by customs only to have it confiscated .there argument was it was not for my own personal use.if i appeal and lose it would cost me £1500 or more .can any one help ,iam very angry as this was for me and my partners own use and parents

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You say it was for your own use and then you say it was also for your partner's own use and your parents. I think own use means just that..

However, I'm sure someone else will be along shortly who will understand the terms better than I.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • magpie1892
    magpie1892 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    in their guidelines it states personal use as "your own consuption or as gifts
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Can you elaborate on what you bought?

IMO a gift is a 200 pack of cigarettes, and if on a budget, that would be between two.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • magpie1892
    magpie1892 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    3,200 ciggys and 3kg of tobacco and 13 cases of fosters,they let me have the beer (nice of them) probably so i could drown my sorrows.i do this trip every 6 months.as we save hard to save cash .we save roughly £750 every 6 months on purchases doing it this way.in this country it would cost in the region of £1315.this is within their guidelines.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    magpie1892 wrote: »
    3,200 ciggys and 3kg of tobacco and 13 cases of fosters,they let me have the beer (nice of them) probably so i could drown my sorrows.i do this trip every 6 months.as we save hard to save cash .we save roughly £750 every 6 months on purchases doing it this way.in this country it would cost in the region of £1315.this is within their guidelines.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Thats personal use?
  • Twopints
    Twopints Posts: 1,770 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    3200 in 6 months is less than 20 a day
    Not even wrong
  • taxiphil
    taxiphil Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    Options
    :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Thats personal use?

Cigs and tobacco can be stored for years, so even if the OP was a very light smoker, it seems perfectly reasonable to me that it's for personal use.
  • G-G_4
    G-G_4 Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    Options
    magpie1892 wrote: »
    .we save roughly £750 every 6 months on purchases doing it this way.

Not this time you didn't! :laugh:

I hope you get it sorted, but I doubt they would have confiscated it if they wern't allowed to. :confused:
    :D BSC Member 155 :cool:
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    taxiphil wrote: »
    Cigs and tobacco can be stored for years, so even if the OP was a very light smoker, it seems perfectly reasonable to me that it's for personal use.

Seemed a lot to me, but, it seems that 3,200 is the limit along with 3kg of baccy for personal use.
    Apologies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport