Avoiding Nuisance Callers

Options

Comments

• pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Azari wrote: »
    If you think that continually phoning someone who has said they are not interested day after day deserves kudos, you must have an exceedingly odd idea of kudos.

They are out working, which is more than 2.65 million other people are. The fact that they are doing a job, which lets be honest, isn't a job most of us would choose to do, rather than claim benefits deserves kudos IMHO and if you think that doesn't deserve it then I personally feel its you who has an exceedingly odd idea of kudos.
  • handydock
    Options
    We are Ex Directory and TPS but it makes no difference. Some idiot named Franklin from Coventry applied on line for Loans and put our number on the form. You can imagine how many calls we get now the number is on the "Sucker" list. The way we have got around it is to put any number we get into the contacts list as `cold call` and then dont answer it. Works for most. If we do get caught out we use the `Hang On` ploy and they go away.
  • bailey70
    bailey70 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Well, hows that for poor timing. I only posted on this thread a few days ago and literally just got the first nuisance call in a long time.

It didn't come in on my land line (which I only use for Broadband and to plug my Sky box into so doesn't have a phone attached), nor did it come in on my mobile. It came in on my VoIP service!

The VoIP line was set up for work... I work at home and didn't want to have to hand out my personal numbers so I used sipgate. I saw an 0845 number appear on the caller ID so didn't answer it. I hoped that whoever was calling would get the message.

But no. Instead I get a minute long recording of an automated calling system asking a question and complaining it's not getting a response. Course you're not getting a response!

It's a TPS registered number too. According to the Internet the caller was something called "Curved Air Marketing Solutions" who do market research so apparently not covered by TPS.

I really do wonder why TPS makes the distinction. The reason I added my numbers there is that I don't want nuisance callers - I don't care if they're selling or asking me questions, to me it's the same. If I've handed out my number to somebody then it's an invitation for them to call, if I haven't then there is no implied invitation.

The argument that you can pick up the phone and say a polite "No thank you" is not good enough in my opinion. If I'm working, cooking, eating, watching the latest movie on DVD or just generally spending time with my family I don't want to be disturbed and I don't want to have to unplug the phone in case somebody calls me with an emergency - or in case a family member or friend wants a chat, because they're invited.

To be honest, while TPS is partly useful it doesn't do the job it really should. If TPS has to differentiate then they should have a second list for market research and let people join that too.
  • amiiwilde
    Options
    Unfortunately there are some areas where the TPS cannot help, areas where the owner of a telephone number appears to have lost their right to privacy.

The three areas I have come across are:-
    1) The previous owner of the number has not bothered or does not want, to update companies with a change of number.
    2) The previous owner of the number is STILL giving out the number as theirs!
    3) Someone vindictively gives out you number with a view to causing harassment.

18 months after changing my number after point 3, I am still having problems with points 1 & 2. I have been called a liar and my family threatened when I tried to tell one company that this is not that persons number and I do not even know who the person they are looking for is.

The police cannot help as I do not know who the person at the other end of the call is (the number is withheld). The only blessing is that I was 'given' my number rather than take over the number and property. So the caller does not know who I am or where I live.

TPS have advised me that there is nothing they can do to help me, the law presumes that if someone gives out a number they have the owner of that numbers permission to give it out. This 'permission' is still in place even if the number changes hands or if the number is given out AFTER it has been registered with the TPS.

My landline provider has said they can change my number again!!!!! BUT they cannot guarantee me that I would not have the same problem with any new number and that means that I would have yet another new number, 4 in 4 years! all because of inconsiderate idiots who either want to cause problems, escape their own problems or just cant be bothered to change their contact details.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can refuse to accept calls from number withheld.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • yangptangkipperbang
    Options
    1. Buy a 'phone that:
    a: enables you to bar incoming calls
    b: has an answerphone
    c: has a display
    2. When the 'phone rings - look at the display.
    3. If you recognise the name/number answer it.
    4. If you don't recognise the number/withheld/international/out of area, let it go to the answer machine. If it is a cold call they WILL hang up at this point. I have NEVER had anyone leave a message if it is a sales call
    5. If they start to leave a message you can decide to answer it then or later.
    6. If the cold call did come from a UK number, Google it and see if it is a known cold calling number.
    7. If it is, put it into your 'phone as a barred number.

Simple............never answer an unwanted call again...........
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dazzler_4u wrote: »
    TAKE DIRECT ACTION

I'm registered with the TPS and my number is ex-directory, yet I still get these calls.

I used to wait and ask to be taken off their database, but it didn't seem to work.

So I decided to take direct action

I have got a spare smoke alarm near my phone now, and, I'm not sure why, but when these people call me, I have an uncontrollable urge to put the phone next to my smoke alarm and press the test button.

The smoke alarm starts emitting its high pitched noisy beeps. Suddenly the people on the other end seem to disappear!

I hope they're not wearing ear pieces - wouldn't it be awful for them if they bust their eardrums - and wouldn't it be awful for their employers if their employee sued them for their busted eardrum!

so come on everyone, get a spare smoke alarm and start fighting back and let's all of us bust a few eardrums!!

LV insurance have just succesfully had someone prosecuted for abusing staff so maybe this isn't the best idea
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • Kristin
    Kristin Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    The telephone preference service worked great for us. There is also one for the post service to stop junk mail. Link below http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/

Now all I need is one for e-mails.
  • pryland
    Options
    Hi Martin.
    Being ex directory is irrelevant. It does not mean your number is withheld. If you are ex directory, your long lost friends will never find you. I have tried to find people who are ex-directory in emergencies and the Directory enquiry service "will under no circumstances, even danger to life" give out any info. I therefore request that you are NOT ex- directory!
    Also please get rid of the number withheld option if it is set for all outgoing calls.

My answer to cold calls and others is "NEVER ANSWER A CALL FROM A WITHHELD NUMBER".
    It has become fashionable to put "withheld" on outgoing calls from small exchanges. I can see NO valid reason for this. They will never get through to me. (sorry health centre, sorry school!)
    Even banks were using this option for a time, but many have now stopped. You MUST NOT give out sensitive info to anyone calling from a number withheld! Just common sense..................!!
  • cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    Options
    This guy has successfully claimed in the small claims court against nuisance callers. I guess it would be difficult for overseas callers though?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20068927
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport