can you still make some money selling at car boots?

Options
i have a load of stuff to get rid of and wonder if i should bother. thanks in advance.

Comments

• sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A friend and I go about twice each Summer, I don't make a huge amount (average £40) but then I don't have a lot left to sell! We choose a nice Sunday, go to one which starts at 10 am - very civilised - we take her DD and my DGD and lots of drinks/snacks as the trailers there are so expensive. For sitting outside on a fine day I can make enough to feed myself for a couple of weeks, money I wouldn't have had if I stayed at home.

I'm sure others will post who take it more seriously but for me it's a nice way to earn a few pennies and keep my house free of clutter.
  • ScENeYmE
    ScENeYmE Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    I've done a few lately and took over £100 on each one. It's definately worth a try, it's not bad pay for a mornings work anyway :)
    Pigsback - 500 points, Happyfly - £37.92, Juicy Brains - £1.25, Valued Opinions - Zilch, Casback Rewards - £2.78

Getting Married October 3rd 2009!!

• Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    My DD has done a couple of car boots lately & has made £40 each time, which isn't bad, all she's getting rid of is clutter.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • mrs_lds
    mrs_lds Posts: 4,103 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    I have done only 4 car boots sales and each time made on average £140 after pitch fees, . I think in terms of paying music fees for the kids and food for week. That is my incentive
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This is really a how long is a piece of string question.

Depends on
    what and how much you have to sell
    Where the car boot is
    Day weather etc
    People present.

Not done any car boots this year as the weather on the days i can do has not been good enough.

When I do car boots Im pulling in on average c£250, but then I am selling high volume low cost with a few high value items also included (monitors, portable tv's, hifi's etc).

Choosing the right carboot is also crucial.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • shopaholictiedtheknot
    Options
    We did one in Dewsbury a couple of weeks ago and made £120 and DD made £35, people these days do want something for nothing and a pint of your blood to go with it though!!:rolleyes:
  • SpendCurber
    SpendCurber Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a good car boot in London? Pref north, but I'm willing to travel!! TIA!
    January 2014 - £20,340
  • sammy452
    sammy452 Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did one this weekend in Stanmore, Middx which was really busy, it seems everyone wanted clothes which did surprise me. Definitely going to do it again in a few weeks, a great way to make some extra cash.
    Nyks Interest Beater £29/£260
  • scattymam1
    scattymam1 Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with Marvin - it depends on how much you have, where it is and what the weather is like.

I do one or two a year - when I have built up a decent amount of stuff to sell(stuff that would be a waste of time putting on ebay). I watch the weather forecasts. I price my things cheaply as I'd rather sell something for a quid than not sell it at all and I make sure I have a few high value items in there too (£10-£15) to bunk up my total. I always make about £100 and I enjoy it.

So I say go for it.

I remember one year I found an old office chair in our back lane so I took it to the boot sale and someone gave me a fiver for it!
  • Deals_2
    Deals_2 Posts: 2,410 Forumite
    Options
    any tips appreciated. thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business