Renting and Meter Readings

Options
keithmdw
keithmdw Posts: 61 Forumite
Bit of a basic question, but we have never rented before so any advice is most welcome.

Just signed the tenancy agreement this weekend (which looked like it was a standard form the estate agent uses). We don't get keys for another week.

The property is unfurnished, so there is no inventory, but it also says on the agreement that we (the tenants) are responsible for meter readings.

Now when we were signing we thought this simply meant letting the relevant companies come and read the meter, but now we have thought that maybe it means the initial meter reading prior to our moving in, especially since we haven't been given one yet.

We haven't got the keys yet, and we know the current tenants are still resident, so a final meter reading would not be possible yet.

What does everyone think?

Should we get one when we pick up keys? And if we don't, what should we do?

Also, it says we cannot change utility suppliers without notifying the landlord (fair enough), but how do we find out who the current suppliers are so they can bill us?

Thanks

Comments

• daveboy
    daveboy Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I moved in, I rent also, I was provided with meter readings by the estate agent. I was also provided with the companies that were billing the property.

My tenancy agreement also states that I cannot change the utility company - although I verbally asked my landlord and he didn't mind. I think strictly speaking you're meant to get it in writing but my landlord wouldn't kick up a fuss.

All I can suggest is taking meter readings the moment you get the keys. When it comes to water it'll be easy, but I can see how electricity and gas might be a problem. The estate agents should provide you with this information as the tenancy agreement will state it is your responsibility to pay all bills.

Additionally, I send meter readings to the companies I use every 10 to 12 weeks online (I'm metered for water). I find it helps me keep on top of bills.

If the agent can't or won't give you this info, then make sure you stand your ground as you can't fulfil the agreement without it.
  • gary38uk
    gary38uk Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dont worry, all you need to do is take meter reading as soon as you move in.
    telephone supplier to tell them reading to ensure you only get billed from that reading.
    previous tennent should had informed them of final reading.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure