BT dial up internet and Apple Macs

Options
Can anyone help?
My partner is using an iMac with OS X 10.2.8 and Mail 1.2.5 and has been trying to get going with Bt Yahoo Anytime for the last week or so without success.
I was told yesterday that many of these packages, although saying that they are Mac compatible, in fact are not.
Does anybody have any experience of this or know a way round it?
Broadband is not an option yet where he lives.
All suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• patflanel
    patflanel Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    You can connect a Mac to most ISPs. What most ISPs mean when they say you can't connect is that we don't have anyone who knows abut macs so we can't give you any help.

Can you give more info please.
    Can you connect to BT yahoo ?
    If you can connect can you get web access?
    Can you get mail?

See here for setup info
    http://www.filesaveas.com/btyahoo.html
  • Cathi_2
    Cathi_2 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    He has spent many happy hours talking to the technical helplines of both Bt and Apple with no success. The strange thing is that it worked in a fashion at the start with internet access, sending (although it scrolled through all former servers first) and receiving but now nothing is working.
    All the settings are as shown on the link that you gave.
    Any more ideas?
  • patflanel
    Options
    Can you explain what you mean by "although it scrolled through all former servers first" ?

Can you connect to the isp via internet connect?

Can you surf with safari ?
  • Cathi_2
    Options
    All the previous account servers present themselves as outgoing mail servers before the message could be sent.
    Initially he could get a connection and surf with safari but not since Friday.
    I don't know what has happened.
    Last night he reconnected a previous email account and can now access his bt email through that but can't dial up with the bt account.
    Does that make sense?
  • patflanel
    Options
    I think we need to get you connected and surfing first.
    Go to system preferences and select network. Add a new location and click the PP tab to use with the internal modem. Enter the dial-up details eg phone no, password etc. Click the TCP/IP tab and set it to PPP. Make sure that you have the correct modem settings eg Apple internal modem and the country settings to UK. apply this.
    Now you should be able to dial-up and surf using Safari, Firefox or whatever.
    Can you try this and let me know.
  • Cathi_2
    Options
    Thank you - I've passed that on and I'll let you know what happens.
  • Cathi_2
    Options
    Ok now he's tried to set it up again following your suggestion and it dials up and connects.
    Where to now?
    I notice in one of your other posts you suggested Freedom2surf as a good ISP that was clued up on Macs - do you think it would be any better?
  • patflanel
    Options
    OK that's sorted. I take it he can surf using Safari or what ever.
    Next thing to do is to clean out mail or whatever he is using.
    Delete all the accounts and mail servers and reinstall only one for BT.

That should do it (hopefully)
  • Cathi_2
    Options
    A but thereby is the problem!!
    I'm not access Safari yet. As I explained in the private message we are 500 miles apart so this is all being done by remote!
    Exactly where are these to be found?
    There are some that show up which don't feature in the list of accounts when you open up the mail preferences - so where are they lurking?
  • patflanel
    Options
    Please Check PMs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills