IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Best time to cancel Sky TV?
Closed Thread
Views: 11,790
# 1
LeeUK
Old 24-06-2008, 1:04 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Best time to cancel Sky TV?

I subscribe to 5 mixes from Sky at £20 per month. Lately there has hardly ever been anything on to watch and I seem to be mostly watching the free channels now.

My Sky direct debit goes out of my bank account on the 12th of each month, what is the best date to ring up and cancel? I don't want to get stung by being cut off 1 day into a new billing month and still having to pay for that month or something like that.

I've had Sky TV for 2 years now so not in any contract.

Thanks.
Lee's No More Kebab Club No.1
# 2
Bobsworlduk
Old 24-06-2008, 1:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I don't think it really matters as you have to give 30 days notice anyway. When you cancel they will just adjust your last payments so you only pay for the days you have sky.
# 3
Simon Pugsley
Old 24-06-2008, 1:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

If you call them and tell them you want to leave, they will offer you a discounted rate, or even 3 months free.
# 4
frugallass
Old 24-06-2008, 1:25 PM

Excuse my ignorance here but this thread caught my eye and I've got a question to ask....

I currently pay £19 a month and, like the OP, feel as if there is hardly any choice and would love to put the £19 to better use.

If I were to cancel my Sky subscription do I still receive the free channels - how does that work? The area I live in has a terrible TV reception and I always thought I had to get Sky to even watch the basic channels. Can I still get free digital connection then?

Sorry for butting in OP
# 5
neilD
Old 24-06-2008, 1:30 PM
MoneySaving Convert

BBC & ITV are free and many more. If you want to test what you can get just pull the sky card out of the box and look at what is still watchable.

You will still see all the channel listed on the digibox but if you select a none free one it will tell you so.
The Following User Says Thank You to neilD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
frugallass
Old 24-06-2008, 1:39 PM

That's great thanks - I'll speak to hubby tonight to see what he reckons, DD finishes school for the summer this week and at least I know she won't be sat at home watching TV all day haha - dunno how I'll cope without Miami Ink and Lisa Williams tho
# 7
SickStu
Old 24-06-2008, 4:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Leave the card in and you'll also still get the FTV channels like C4, C5, Sky3, Setanta Sports News etc. as well as the FTA.

explanation here:-

http://www.vowles-home.demon.co.uk/Sat/SkyFTA.htm
# 8
mpython
Old 24-06-2008, 4:44 PM

Frugallas

You will be able to get BBC 1, 2, 3, 4, HD, CBBC Cbeebies, ITV 1, 2, 3, 4 Channel 4, More 4, E4, Film 4 (and their +1s), Channel 5, 5 US, fiver, and all the 'dross' shopping etc channels.

You do need to keep you Sky card (but no longer pay for it) as Channel 4 is scrambled and you won't be able to see it without it. Although its free they broadcast it scambled to stop it being seen in Europe.

From speaking to people on other forums, the biggest loss is not the channels but sky+ as Sky will turn this off when you cancel and you cannot access anything previously recorded, even if it was on a free channel.
From MSE Martin - Some General Tips On Holiday Home Organisations and Sales Meetings

DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THEM WITH A BARGEPOLE!
The Following User Says Thank You to mpython For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
LeeUK
Old 24-06-2008, 6:49 PM

C4/E4 are no longer scambled since the BBC Freesat service was launched last month so I read.

I haven't got Sky+ so haven't got that to worry about. I'll be phoning up tomorrow to cancel or see if they offer me a reduced fee or 3 free months.

Thanks
Lee's No More Kebab Club No.1

Last edited by LeeUK; 24-06-2008 at 6:53 PM.
# 10
Fourcandles
Old 24-06-2008, 7:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I cancelled sky and no longer get channel 4 and 5 through sky, although I did for the first few months..
'andles for forks...
I have CDO. It's like OCD but alphabetically correct.
Littlewoods-£1000, Ace-£500, Credit Union-£4000, Family- £200.
Debt free for 2012.

# 11
Clive Woody
Old 25-06-2008, 11:10 AM

I cancelled SKY a few months back, since then the offers to come back have been getting better and better, this month they are now offering SKY+ with free installation (last month they wanted to charge me £60 installation). I am looking forward to seeing what they offer next month to get me to come back to them.

Rugby Union - The Greatest Game
# 12
oursus
Old 30-12-2011, 12:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Freesat from Sky

There is a service called "freesat from Sky" - not to be confused with "Freesat" - if you buy a card from Sky for £25 then you can have all the Free to view channels plus the encrypted free to air channels. I have had this for about 6 years and find it better than freeview, much better than freesat.

Just call 0844 241 0595, for a card. Or 020 7126 7020 if you don't like 08 numbers (courtesy of saynoto0870)

The Following User Says Thank You to oursus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Nile
Old 30-12-2011, 1:29 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Watch the New to Forum? Guide

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
Closed Thread