Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • M4RKM
    • 5th Jun 08, 8:22 PM
    • 5th Jun 08, 8:22 PM
    none of these are useful these days.. it's all about dubloons..

umm.. i might as well put some seriousness to this post..
    from reading other threads on here, it really depends on which part of turkey you are going to, as to which currency they prefer!

do a quick search and i'm sure you'll find some useful info!
  • MrsE
    • 5th Jun 08, 8:24 PM
    • 5th Jun 08, 8:24 PM
    none of these are useful these days.. it's all about dubloons..

umm.. i might as well put some seriousness to this post..
    from reading other threads on here, it really depends on which part of turkey you are going to, as to which currency they prefer!

do a quick search and i'm sure you'll find some useful info!
    Originally posted by markymoo
    Even the areas that favour Euros are still happy to take pounds.

With the pound so weak against the Euro, there would be no point in changing at this time.
    • soco1
    • By soco1 8th Jun 08, 3:08 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    soco1
    • 8th Jun 08, 3:08 PM
    • 8th Jun 08, 3:08 PM
    When in Turkey I tend to spend their own currency!
    Change your sterling when you get there.
  • bringmeshoes
    • 8th Jun 08, 3:28 PM
    • 8th Jun 08, 3:28 PM
    i tend to take mostly travellers cheques because they are insured if anything happens to them, i also take about 100 of local currency to see me through the first day and give me chance to see where i get the best rate to exchange the travellers cheques
    The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about - Oscar Wilde
    Big sister to Hayley11 and Before Hollywood and adopted daughter of Vikingero
    • alanrowell
    • By alanrowell 8th Jun 08, 4:20 PM
    • 5,224 Posts
    • 1,990 Thanks
    alanrowell
    • 8th Jun 08, 4:20 PM
    • 8th Jun 08, 4:20 PM
    I find New Turkish Lira useful in Turkey.

I also prefer not to have the cost & hassle of Travellers Cheques
    • dzug1
    • By dzug1 8th Jun 08, 4:24 PM
    • 13,354 Posts
    • 6,113 Thanks
    dzug1
    • 8th Jun 08, 4:24 PM
    • 8th Jun 08, 4:24 PM
    Hi,

My wife and a couple of friends are off to Turkey for a week's holiday later this month. What is the best currency to take with them?
    The choices are Turkish Lira, Euro, US dollar or pounds.

Of course there is also the further options of loading a pre-pay credit card - but I suspect they won't get such good deals if paying by plactic.

thanks,

Steve
    Originally posted by sukstr
    Unless they already have the $$$ or the there's no point in incurring double exchange costs by taking them to exchange when they get there
    • simpywimpy
    • By simpywimpy 8th Jun 08, 4:57 PM
    • 1,954 Posts
    • 1,336 Thanks
    simpywimpy
    • 8th Jun 08, 4:57 PM
    • 8th Jun 08, 4:57 PM
    just been to turkey last month and was under the impression that dollars would be the best but it didnt really matter to be honest.

You get slightly better rate there than at home but I would go for the lira as there really isnt much in it.

If you are flying back from bodrum airport by any chance the bar prices are horrendous so take water - they let you through with it. Duty free was really cheap too.
    • aardvark65
    • By aardvark65 8th Jun 08, 6:11 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    aardvark65
    • 8th Jun 08, 6:11 PM
    • 8th Jun 08, 6:11 PM
    We go regularly and always change up sterling to Turkish lira whilst there. Agree there is no point in changing twice - you always lose. If you have euros already they maybe useful for duty free etc.
  • doelani
    we are going to turkey tomorrow for third time and we take a few hundred pounds in turkish lira and the rest in sterling. I also take bank card as back up in case we have no money left got duty free on way back lol I have only ever used a credit card once in Turkey and the guy in the shop " just had to go next door to use their machine" lol I was straight on phone afterwards to make sure only one transaction was put through and cancelled card.

We do tend to spend in sterling as many shops have prices marked in and Euro's , helps us gage what we are spending and if it is worth it.

OK I admit it my hubby buys the " 4 tshirts for 10" lol
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb
    • whu
    • By whu 9th Jun 08, 11:19 AM
    • 22,725 Posts
    • 60,620 Thanks
    whu
    depends where in Turkey you are going - in Kalkan it is better to have local currency - change it there
  • MrsE

If you are flying back from bodrum airport by any chance the bar prices are horrendous so take water - they let you through with it. Duty free was really cheap too.
    Originally posted by simpywimpy
    You think Bodrum is bad?

Have you used Dalaman

I think its a little worse
    • DGJsaver
    • By DGJsaver 9th Jun 08, 1:24 PM
    • 2,716 Posts
    • 1,115 Thanks
    DGJsaver
    so guys

if its commison free to get euro travellers cheques but NOT commision free to get sterling cheques , is it worth getting euro cheques if your confident of using them all ? exchange rate wise at the turkish end i mean ?

Dan
    • whu
    • By whu 9th Jun 08, 1:53 PM
    • 22,725 Posts
    • 60,620 Thanks
    whu
    You think Bodrum is bad?

Have you used Dalaman

I think its a little worse
    Originally posted by MrsE
    agreed Dalaman is very expensive - definately take your own water etc
  • MrsE
    so guys

if its commison free to get euro travellers cheques but NOT commision free to get sterling cheques , is it worth getting euro cheques if your confident of using them all ? exchange rate wise at the turkish end i mean ?

Dan
    Originally posted by DGJsaver
    If you are happy to carry your holiday money as cash (& use the hotel safe over there) then I think its got to be the easiest & cheapest way.
    You can source the best exchange rate yourself.

Even if you get them commission free this end, won't they charge you to chane them?
    • DGJsaver
    • By DGJsaver 9th Jun 08, 2:09 PM
    • 2,716 Posts
    • 1,115 Thanks
    DGJsaver
    If you are happy to carry your holiday money as cash (& use the hotel safe over there) then I think its got to be the easiest & cheapest way.
    You can source the best exchange rate yourself.

Even if you get them commission free this end, won't they charge you to chane them?
    Originally posted by MrsE

when we were there last year they didnt charge in the jewellers etc to change sterling travellers cheques

im just wondering if the rate the turks give for euros is better than for ???
    • ttoli
    • By ttoli 9th Jun 08, 3:06 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    ttoli
    You get a far better rate locally than in the UK, the rate here today is 2.5 YTL= 1.00GBP.
    • DGJsaver
    • By DGJsaver 9th Jun 08, 3:09 PM
    • 2,716 Posts
    • 1,115 Thanks
    DGJsaver
    You get a far better rate locally than in the UK, the rate here today is 2.5 YTL= 1.00GBP.
    Originally posted by ttoli

hi

what is the euro to ytl rate at the moment ?
    • Backbiter
    • By Backbiter 9th Jun 08, 8:46 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    Backbiter
    Any advice on curency for Istanbul? Going there for one day on a cruise in August. Are pounds and Euros readily accepted there?
  • MORPH3US
    Number one travellling tip I have ever been given.... GET A NATIONWIDE CURRENT ACCOUNT.....

Sorry to shout, but that is a seriously good tip...

Free cash withdrawals abroad at good rates. Add to that, from most cash machines I have used in turkey, you can choose to withdraw Lira, pounds or dollars.

Oh and it also means you can withdraw it as you need it so its more secure.

If you really can't do the above though, I would take GBP with a little bit of Lira for the first day until you find somewhere to change your cash to lira over there (NOT at hotel because crap rates).

Most shops and restaurants will accept lira, pounds, dollars or euros, but if you pay in anything other than what the bill is in (usually lira) be prepared for them to calculate at rubbish rates...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,525Posts Today

5,130Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm signing off for the evening. Have a wonderful weekend and try and say something nice to someone who voted the other way to you!

• There's no crystal ball but if its the right house for you and you can afford the repayments - why not? https://t.co/3YMd7hTneJ

• RT @dylcojones: @MartinSLewis your video posted this morning gave me a bit of hope that things might be ok!

• Follow Martin