Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > How to replace UPVC window handles/locks (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How to replace UPVC window handles/locks
Views: 100,474
# 1
teepoo
Old 31-05-2008, 5:55 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Question How to replace UPVC window handles/locks

Hi All,

Can someone tell me how difficult/easy this would be?

I have one window that does not lock shut and another whose handle just broke off (leaving the spindle behind).

I think I need to buy two of these to fix these problems:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/38799/...e-Spindle-40mm

Can someone please confirm?

Thanks,
Pete.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to teepoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
ukwoody
Old 31-05-2008, 6:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

it varies. If your sort has a locking sytem built into the window (a multipoint, which has brass rollers that move) then yes that will be fine. If it is a more traditional sort where par of the handle comes down and sort of pull the window in, like the old fashioned wooden windows, and you have a wedge of plastic inside of the frame that the handle locks against then no you need a slightly different sort like these http://www.handlestore.com/product_list.php?cat_id=7

woody
City & Guilds qualified Wood Butcher
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukwoody For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
dmxdave
Old 31-05-2008, 6:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to dmxdave

The handles are no problem - just two screws. The one that won't lock do you mean the key doesn't lock it or the handle doesn't work? I have used http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/windowsupplies in the past and if you ask they will give good advice
Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to dmxdave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
dmxdave
Old 31-05-2008, 6:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via MSN to dmxdave

Sorry Woody you posted while I was still typing
Dave
# 5
teepoo
Old 31-05-2008, 6:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks.

The windows have a brass rollers that acts as the locking mechanism.

The window that is stuck has restricted movement in its handle, consequently the rollers do not move at all.
# 6
ukwoody
Old 31-05-2008, 7:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Are you SURE it is the handles then on the restricted one? If it is, then yes it's the sort from screwfix and it's a two min job.

DMXdave, it's alright I'll just slap you! LOL

woody
# 7
teepoo
Old 01-06-2008, 4:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The brass rod is stuck - is there anyway I can loosen it?

Is it simply a case of using WD-40 to loosen the joints?
# 8
ukwoody
Old 01-06-2008, 5:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

teepoo, if the brass rod is stuck, it may well be the multipoint gearbox that is knackered.. However, yes try wd40 (though if you've got it silicon spray is FAR better). Spray down the brass bar, in and around thoses rollers. Spray a LITTLE into the spindle hole as well (too much and wd40 will remove the proper grease in there. If all that fails, it's likely you will need a new multipoint.

woody
# 9
Jonesya
Old 01-06-2008, 6:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Interesting thread - the handle broke on one of our windows, I didn't realise you could replace them easily I'd assumed they were a custom item.

Picked up a handle from the DIY store this afternoon, easy to fit but I did have to saw 5mm off the spindle to get it to fit flat onto the frame - they'd only got handles with 15mm spindle.
# 10
teepoo
Old 02-06-2008, 2:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks Woody - I will pick up some silicon spray and have another go tonight.

By multipoint gearbox, do you mean something like this:
https://www.upvc-hardware.co.uk/lock...x-cam-376.html

Or is it best to disassemble the window to find out which type it uses?

Thanks,
Pete.
# 11
woodbutcher
Old 02-06-2008, 3:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

There are several different types made by different companies.There is a gearbox to which you attach arms for the roller catches.These arms come in different lengths and can be cut to length to suit varying sizes of sash.The whole thing is screwed to a channel in the framing.They wear out eventually and are not difficult to replace as long as you have the correct parts.The same principle is used on PVC doors but they are usually a bit more involved with hook locks etc.
# 12
ukwoody
Old 02-06-2008, 6:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The best way, is to remove it from the window, take some pictures of it and e-mail them over to a couple of companies to identify. If there are any names or markings on them besure to mention them. Also measure the overall length and, the distance from the front face to midle of the spindle hole on the gearbox.

These guys are usually quite helpful http://www.upvcwindow-doorparts.co.u...?categoryID=41

regards
woody
The Following User Says Thank You to ukwoody For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
SuzSaver
Old 18-06-2008, 2:40 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Our house is only 4 years old and already 4 of the window handles have broken. And we're not heavy handed!

I called the company that installed them and they offered me 4 new handles to fix myself (20 total) or to send an engineer at 54 an hour!

I had no idea I'd be able to do this myself. Well, fingers crossed anyway...

Should save me a fortune!
# 14
Dime-04
Old 23-08-2009, 12:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have a UPVC window with a multipoint locking system where the handle has become stuck so that the window cannot be opened.I have seen the previous responses but because I cannot open the window cannot see whether or not the rollers or the brass rod(I take it that this is the one that joins the rollers and locks into the sides of the frame at the bottom)are moving or not.consequently I am not sure whether to replace the handle or the gearbox and if it is just the handle how do I remove the plastic cover that conceals the screws?
Any responses will be greatly appreciated.
Dime-04
# 15
chrissydava
Old 03-12-2009, 2:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Dime-04

Hi Dime-04,
Did you manage to sort out your problem?
I obviously don't know who manufactured your UPVC lock, but it definitely sounds like a gearbox problem. If you can get the window open, take a couple of pics and send them across to total locks. They were able to identify the lock for me and advise what replacement I needed. I didn't have a clue how to fit, but they managed to talk me through that bit too.
If you can get in to see it, go to the multipoint locks section of total-locks.com - it helps you identify the multipoint lock yourself.
Hope this helps anyway. Any questions about how I fit the replacement, reply here!
Chris
# 16
blissfulbabe
Old 06-12-2009, 12:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks to the replies on this thread I have saved over 100!

I'm not very DIY savvy and when I broke the handle on my bathroom window the first thing I did was get a couple of quotes to supply and fit a new one - quotes ranged from 108 (incl VAT) to 138 + VAT. After reading this thread I decided to have a proper look at the window - all I had to do was remove two screws, have a quick scout on the internet to find the right size handle, wait two days for the handle and just fit it, by the way of two screws - no muss, no fuss!

The handle cost less that 6 incl postage and the acutal time spent fitting the handle was less that 10 minutes. I am really greatful to the people who replied to this thread as I don't have a 100 spare and, more importantly, I am starting to realise that (provided gas, electric or water are not involved) I can do much more around my home than I realise!
Don't judge people on they way they look, the way they speak or what they're called because they can't help that.

Only judge people on what they say and what they do.
# 17
duophonic
Old 20-04-2010, 4:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I've resurrected this thread as I need a bit of assistance.

I've broken my upvc living room window.

The window opens by turning the handle to the '9 o'clock' position to open like a door inwards into the room. It can also tilt inwards from the top leaving the bottom of the window sealed by turning the handle to the '12 o'clock' position.

The other night after the window had been open all day I noticed that the frame hadn't been closed properly. The seal wasn't secure and there was a draft. I slammed the window shut and tried to lock the window using the handle and the handle didn't budge.The window is stuck in the tilt position and my husband is sure that it isn't the handle that's at fault that I've maybe jammed the mechanism that slides up and seals the window shut.

We're both diy novices and tried googling etc to no avail. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and could advise, I'd be very grateful.

I'm sorry but as a newbie I can't post a photo of a similar window.

# 18
loracan1
Old 20-04-2010, 5:32 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I think I know the sort of window you mean - I have a huge window in the bedroom similar and find I have to manouvre the window shut to get it sealed properly, very very difficult to shut once I try it in the fully-opening position so I tend to only ever use the tilt. Can you move the handle at all when it's in the tilt position - I've sometimes found that if I 'jiggle' the window about I can get the handle to turn.
# 19
ormus
Old 20-04-2010, 6:30 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

my auntie has simiilar windows in her tower block flat.
try jiggling the handle a bit whilst opening/closing the window. that usually works.
Get some gorm.
# 20
duophonic
Old 20-04-2010, 6:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks both.

The handle won't jiggle at all, it's locked in the tilt position. The window itself is sealed shut at the bottom as it would be correctly in the tilt position so I fear breaking the unit completely if I force the window into the 'open' position.