Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Biffer
    Warning: Tyre Insurance Ripoff
    • 28th May 08, 1:06 PM
    Warning: Tyre Insurance Ripoff 28th May 08 at 1:06 PM
    I just bought a used car from our local BMW dealership. They tried to sell us a whole load of protection policies that cover paint, gap insurance etc. We said no to all of them, but the tyre protection policy looked like a really good deal.

For just 299 they would replace up to 5 damaged tyres over a period of 3 years. This car had Run Flat Tyres (RFT) and knowing that RFT's cannot be repaired after a puncture (I've got them on my other car) and that they're almost twice the price of normal tyres, we decided to sign up for this one. A single tyre on this car can cost over 250, so we thought this was a no brainer. Thinking it was too good to be true I studied the small print before signing but all seemed fine.

I got the full policy document through yesterday and guess what? It was too good to be true! The limit on the policy is 300, which is enough to cover just one tyre, not 5. In fact I can't think of any recent BMW's that you could replace 5 tyres on for 300. I just double checked and there was nothing about policy limits on the document I signed. I'm now trying to cancel the policy.

So a warning to others, don't just read the small print, ask for the policy limit to be confirmed before you sign anything.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,347Users online

Martin's Twitter