Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales > Seller adding Paypal Surcharge - what should I do... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Seller adding Paypal Surcharge - what should I do?
Closed Thread
Views: 3,854
# 1
beachbeth
Old 03-11-2004, 6:02 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Seller adding Paypal Surcharge - what should I do?

I have recently bought an item from a seller on Ebay and, as he did not state any postage I contacted him to ask how much. He replied saying that if I paid through paypal then he would add a 4% onto the cost and postage was free.

I replied, telling him that it was against Ebay rules to add a surcharge for Paypal and gave him the link to the page that states this. He then thanked me and said he didn't realise he wasn't supposed to do this. However, he then sent this email: (name omitted from the end)

Thank you for taking time out to send me the information as I requested. Although it is common practice to charge for the use of Paypal it does appear to be against ebay rules and I will amend the wording to my postal and packaging instructions on my future auctions. A 4% charge will now be made towards packaging costs for all Paypal users. Packaging however will remain free to bidders providing a personal cheque as a form of payment. Your postal cost will therefore be. Payment by cheque 14.95p total or 15.60p via Paypal a charge of 65p being made for packaging. Please forward me your preferred option and I will invoice you accordingly. Regards

He is, therefore, still adding a surcharge for Paypal as well as postage now. If it was up to me I'd forget the whole thing but the item is for my dad, so I don't want to upset the seller too much. What should I do next? Pay by cheque?

# 2
wackojackouk
Old 03-11-2004, 7:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Re: Seller adding Paypal Surcharge - what should I

He is definately in the wrong but it's only pennies and if you must have the item then pay him the extra 65p.
# 3
beachbeth
Old 03-11-2004, 8:41 PM

I will pay him. Its not the money I mind. Its the principle of it. I usually avoid people who add a charge for paypal.
# 4
Old 03-11-2004, 8:53 PM

Once feedback has been left report them.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/contact...ction+Problems
# 5
soolin
Old 03-11-2004, 10:40 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I agree with the other posters that in this case you probably need to just pay up and move on.

Unfortunately buying an item without confirming post and packing first leaves you open to all sorts of added extras. I personally would never bid on an item where post and packing charges are not clearly shown, one of my first purchases on ebay several years ago got me stung for high postage on a video as I just assumed the seller would be 'fair' as he had good feedback. Never again.

However much you want an item never bid unless the seller will confirm the exact post and packing he/ she will charge you.

Having said all that I have an irrational dislike of people who surcharge for paypal. It always seems to me that if they are willing to bend the rules by surcharging they might be bending the rules in other ways as well.

Soo

# 6
robnye
Old 04-11-2004, 12:39 AM

personally send him a crossed postal order.......

he would have to pay it into his bank account.......

then let him leave feedback first..... that way if he diss's you , you cen leave negative.

also report him to ebay after you have received the item.
# 7
soolin
Old 04-11-2004, 9:05 AM

Agreed, I would definitely report him to ebay once you have the item. Send them a copy of his email as he clearly trying to get round the rules by surcharging under a different name.

It probably won't do any good though, I reported a couple of sellers that had huge paypal surcharges in a category I often buy from and they are still there, still surcharging weeks later on their items. The listings I reported never did get pulled either.

The only good thing is that the surchargers in this category get considerably less for their item even including the surcharge than the others, and that makes me feel a bit better.

Soo
# 8
scheming_gypsy
Old 04-11-2004, 10:32 AM
PPR

peersonally i'd weigh up the pro's and con's of paying 65p surcharge or delivery.
# 9
scrouge
Old 04-11-2004, 4:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Also BEWARE of goods that seem really cheap on BUY IT NOW....
Many add a ridiculous amount for P&P..
I almost bought a SKY box for 50 which was reasonable.. then spotted P&P at 49.99 !!!!!!

Obviously they have less commission to pay to EBAY by keeping the goods cheap. They make all their profit in the P&P..
Why rip people off??
# 10
scheming_gypsy
Old 04-11-2004, 5:25 PM
PPR

Scrouge... sometimes it's worth looking where you're buying it from... I've noticed a lot of international sellers do that, but on the good side, if it's an international seller then you're going to save on the duty.
# 11
soolin
Old 04-11-2004, 5:54 PM

If people want to charge excessive post and packing then let them, no one is forcing us to bid on their auctions. In fact, maybe we should all start to ignore any auctions where the P and P is excessive, that should ensure that sellers would have to amend their practice to stay in business.

Soo
# 12
andrew_b6k
Old 04-11-2004, 9:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

where's the page that says it's not allowed to put 4% on the auction value to cover paypal?
# 13
scheming_gypsy
Old 04-11-2004, 10:13 PM
PPR

3. eBay Fees: Sellers may not pass onto buyers any eBay selling fees including but not limited to listing fees, listing enhancement fees and final value fees

There's one bit from
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policie...urcharges.html

can't find the exact bit but sure i've seen it somewhere
# 14
robnye
Old 05-11-2004, 1:34 AM

Quote:
eBay has adopted the following surcharging policy in the interests of ensuring that all buyers receive clear and accurate pricing information when trading on eBay.co.uk. This surcharge policy applies only to items listed on eBay.co.uk.

eBay prohibits surcharging by sellers except where described below. Surcharging occurs when sellers pass the charges they incur for using eBay or third party services such as payment services onto buyers.

Specific examples are explained below for your guidance:

1. Electronic Money Services: Sellers who accept electronic money services as a means of payment for an item purchased on eBay, may not impose a surcharge.

Electronic money services include, but are not limited to, services such as PayPal, Nochex, FastPay or Moneybookers.
# 15
Fuzzy
Old 07-11-2004, 10:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've seen one tonight asking for 4%, want to report but also want to bid on item. Would the seller know I've reported them? As of course you can only report if you're logged in, which Ebay will have your ID tag, would they pass it on to the seller?
# 16
knight-on-the-town
Old 08-11-2004, 5:40 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Ebay did indeed change the rules in respect of Paypal earlier this year.

The issue I have is the commercial relationship between Ebay and Paypal... they are one in the same as I understand it.

I personally think it fair if sellers wish to charge extra for using Paypal because they have to bear the cost - about 4%... PROVIDE it is clearly stated in the listing AND the winning bidder has alternatives i.e. cheque, cash etc which don't cost extra. !If the winning bidder is willing to pay for the convenience of Paypal it is their choice.

This effectively applies in many types of transactions. !Try buying cinema or concert tickets... the add ons e.g. service charge, handling fees etc are ridiculous and for most they cannot be avoided. !At least on Ebay you usually/should have a choice.

As for astronomically high postage the solution is simple... exercise your choice and don't bid on it! !I decide the total I am willing to pay, inc P&P and thats it. !Cheap postage is no help if the winning bidder has bid 'over the odds' in the first place.

# 17
beachbeth
Old 09-11-2004, 4:22 PM

Quote:
I personally think it fair if sellers wish to charge extra for using Paypal because they have to bear the cost - about 4%... PROVIDE it is clearly stated in the listing AND the winning bidder has alternatives i.e. cheque, cash etc which don't cost extra. !If the winning bidder is willing to pay for the convenience of Paypal it is their choice.
I really don't agree! It is just as much for the sellers convenience for someone to use paypal when buying from them. I have sold quite a few items recently and bore the paypal costs myself so the last thing I want is to also bear the paypal costs when buying something!(It also isn't allowed on Ebay and you could get kicked off for doing it!)

After all, if you sell something through the ads in a newspaper you don't expect people to pay for the item and the cost of your advert too do you?
# 18
payless
Old 09-11-2004, 4:57 PM

I have decided to take paypal option off my auctions -
1.fees adding up,
2. heard of a few alledged "unwarrented" claimbacks
3. Recently took them over 3 weeks to process a withdrawal !

most people have online banking - takes 2 days for an inter bank credit , or immediate in paid into any branch of my bank

# 19
Hintza
Old 09-11-2004, 6:52 PM

Not convinced you are right Payless. I offer a discount for bank transfer and no one takes me up on it as of yet.
# 20
1jim
Old 09-11-2004, 7:18 PM

i wonder if no one takes you up on direct bank transfer because they are worried re safety of their bank accounts,
i have just started using ebay and am happy with paypal to buy goods although would be unlikely to want to pay more to use paypal.
i also think i am right in saying that by sending money by direct bank transfer (over internet) you coulnt see my bank details but somehow it doesent seem as safe!! i know thats a bit strange (and i use internet to buy most things, i guess its the unknown of the auction site/vendors etc)
Closed Thread