Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    beachbeth
    Seller adding Paypal Surcharge - what should I do?
    • 3rd Nov 04, 6:02 PM
    Seller adding Paypal Surcharge - what should I do? 3rd Nov 04 at 6:02 PM
    I have recently bought an item from a seller on Ebay and, as he did not state any postage I contacted him to ask how much. He replied saying that if I paid through paypal then he would add a 4% onto the cost and postage was free.

I replied, telling him that it was against Ebay rules to add a surcharge for Paypal and gave him the link to the page that states this. He then thanked me and said he didn't realise he wasn't supposed to do this. However, he then sent this email: (name omitted from the end)

Thank you for taking time out to send me the information as I requested. Although it is common practice to charge for the use of Paypal it does appear to be against ebay rules and I will amend the wording to my postal and packaging instructions on my future auctions. A 4% charge will now be made towards packaging costs for all Paypal users. Packaging however will remain free to bidders providing a personal cheque as a form of payment. Your postal cost will therefore be. Payment by cheque 14.95p total or 15.60p via Paypal a charge of 65p being made for packaging. Please forward me your preferred option and I will invoice you accordingly. Regards

He is, therefore, still adding a surcharge for Paypal as well as postage now. If it was up to me I'd forget the whole thing but the item is for my dad, so I don't want to upset the seller too much. What should I do next? Pay by cheque?

Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,969Posts Today

8,420Users online

Martin's Twitter