Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Health & Beauty MoneySaving > Cheap Smell-alikes - Cheaper alternatives to Expe... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Cheap Smell-alikes - Cheaper alternatives to Expensive Perfumes
Views: 386,660
# 1
Tigersilly
Old 20-04-2008, 4:19 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Cheap Smell-alikes - Cheaper alternatives to Expensive Perfumes

Hi, I have been searching for a cheap smell-alike to Dolce Vita EDT perfume. It costs around 30 for 50ml and the smell doesn't even linger for that long (sadly there's no EDP version to save re-applying).

Does anyone know of a Dolce Vita Smell-alike? or of any other smell-alikes?
Could you list them in this thread?

Thank you xx

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Tigersilly; 12-09-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Tigersilly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
anniewoo
Old 20-04-2008, 11:23 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I ordered from this site a while ago and can recommend it

http://www.perfume-parlour.co.uk/ind...od&productId=2

They are perfume oils rather than liquid perfume and come in a roll on,there are various sizes.

I ordered 3 different designer(type) ones and they all smell virtually identical to the real perfume.They are very reasonably priced and I see Dolce Vita is on the list so it is worth a try.
The Following 61 Users Say Thank You to anniewoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Tigersilly
Old 20-04-2008, 1:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniewoo View Post

They are perfume oils rather than liquid perfume and come in a roll on,there are various sizes.

I ordered 3 different designer(type) ones and they all smell virtually identical to the real perfume.They are very reasonably priced and I see Dolce Vita is on the list so it is worth a try.
These look brilliant - I hope they are safe to use on the skin, I'm paranoid about these things. Do you wear it directly on your skin? How long does the fragrance last without you having to top up - I'd like to know because then I can work out how many I should buy.

xx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tigersilly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
cwp500
Old 20-04-2008, 2:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default low cost spritzer of your fave perfume/aftershave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigersilly View Post
Hi, I'm probably not the best person to create this thread, but I have been searching for a cheap smell-alike to Dolce Vita EDT perfume. It costs around 30 for 50ml and the smell doesn't even linger for that long (sadly there's no EDP version to save re-applying).

Does anyone know of a Dolce Vita Smell-alike? or of any other smell-alikes?
Could you list them in this thread?

Thank you xx
Anyone ever get those mini spray samples in the post or from the orange faced women at makeup counters?

When they are empty, remove the top and pull out the spring plunger (you may need some pliers here but its not rocket science). Be careful that the little spring doesnt get lost - it looks like the ones in pens.

squire a few drops of your fave perfume or aftershave guys into the bottle, top up with plain water and replace spring plunger.

Dead easy and you have a nice little portable spritzer to carry with you at all times.

I have loads of these so can have different scents at all times.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cwp500 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
cwp500
Old 20-04-2008, 3:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:

The amounts are quite small and I would be concerned that if the claims are true, these concentrates may damage jewellery, delicate fabrics, watches, and sensitive skins.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cwp500 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
anniewoo
Old 20-04-2008, 6:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigersilly View Post
These look brilliant - I hope they are safe to use on the skin, I'm paranoid about these things. Do you wear it directly on your skin? How long does the fragrance last without you having to top up - I'd like to know because then I can work out how many I should buy.

xx

I don't have a particularly sensitive skin,but I didn't have any rashes or any other problems using these.You apply the roll-on directly to the skin.

The fragrance of the three that I bought all lasted well,as long as a normal perfume would,bearing in mind that some perfumes smell stronger than others anyway.The Issey Miyake type lasted nearly all day from one application.
The Following User Says Thank You to anniewoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
anniewoo
Old 20-04-2008, 6:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwp500 View Post
The amounts are quite small and I would be concerned that if the claims are true, these concentrates may damage jewellery, delicate fabrics, watches, and sensitive skins.

The amounts don't sound very much,I agree.I bought the smallest size because I wasn't sure if I would like them,the roll-on is about the size of a lipstick.They only cost a few pounds however.

As I said in my reply above,I haven't had any skin reactions,but if you have sensitive skin,it may be wise to contact the website if you have any concerns.I avoided getting any of the oil on jewellery.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anniewoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
ali-t
Old 20-04-2008, 7:42 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunnygirl View Post
, I got Boudoir (Jean Paul Gaultier) and Spirit of Shadow (Ghost)
That is strange that they would call a copy of a perfume the same as an original by another perfumier (sp). I wear boudoir by vivienne westwood so was getting excited that there might be a cheaper way to smell divine
If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got

If my posts are a bit ropey with dodgy spelling and grammar, it's because I'm on a tablet or mobile and can't type properly on it.
# 9
nunnygirl
Old 20-04-2008, 7:46 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Sorry, just checked the bottle and it's not boudoir!! It's Bondage......makes so much more sense!!!!
Sealed Pot Challenge Member 1216 -
2011 Total - 526.62

2012 Total - 503.87
# 10
Tigersilly
Old 20-04-2008, 11:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

http://www.directcosmetics.com/detail.cfm?code=34507

Directcosmetics sell Boudoir EDP 50ml for 21.99 if that's any help to anyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tigersilly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Fern Merkin
Old 21-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:

just registered today and 1 is credited to the account! P&P is free! Found Cinabar which I've only seen for about 50 before and CKin2U which is still overpriced in most shops.

Both for 3.50 all told. Very happy, Thanks anniewoo
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fern Merkin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
pattycake
Old 21-04-2008, 5:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I am a real perfume snob I'm afraid and love my designer smells. This site looks amazing but I am worried that the aroma will match the price. The sizes would be just perfect for holidays however. I think I will just hang on until I have got some feedback from you Fern Merkin. Don't forget to come and report back. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to pattycake For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
nicky29
Old 21-04-2008, 9:01 PM
Awaiting Authorisation
MoneySaving Convert

Just registered & got an automatic 1 credit and free postage at checkout so a 3ml Issey Miyake for 1.25!! Got to be worth a try Thanks OP
# 14
MXW
Old 24-04-2008, 1:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi,

I ordered some perfume from the perfume parlour a few days ago, I opted to pay by cheque by mistake so contacted them and said I wanted to pay by debit card, they asked if I had a paypal account (which I had) so sent me an invoice and I paid, the money has now come out of my account. According to my account my order is still pending, even though I have paid and the money has gone from my account. I have contacted them several times but have received no reply. Has anyone had problems with this company? Is the pending order normal, when the money has been taken (I have not received a receipt for my payment.)

Many thanks
# 15
Butternut
Old 24-04-2008, 6:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just ordered 3ml Joop for DH and Kenzo Flower for me!not bad for 3.50 total - will update once i receive them.
I find that ordinary perfumes dissappear after a hour or two, so hoping that these will be longer lasting.
Thanks for the tip!
Win 2008 for 2008 member No 678 62/2008 so far
# 16
random456
Old 25-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Poundland, its in a blue box called stitch, i forget the number of it but it's identical to angel I buy it all the time, bargain.
Fr. Stack: While you were out, I got the keys to your car. And drove it into a big wall. And if you don't like it, tough. I've had my fun, and that's all that matters.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to random456 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Fern Merkin
Old 25-04-2008, 4:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXW View Post
Hi,
I have contacted them several times but have received no reply. Has anyone had problems with this company? Is the pending order normal, when the money has been taken (I have not received a receipt for my payment.)

Many thanks
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I have found their communication quite good as one of the items I ordered was out of stock and they helped me pick another I would like. My order has been delayed by this so not received yet.

Hope it works out ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fern Merkin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
MXW
Old 25-04-2008, 4:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern Merkin View Post
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I have found their communication quite good as one of the items I ordered was out of stock and they helped me pick another I would like. My order has been delayed by this so not received yet.

Hope it works out ok.
Thanks for your reply. Have received the perfume today and an apology from them. The perfume is fab I am really impressed!
The Following User Says Thank You to MXW For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
pattycake
Old 25-04-2008, 5:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Good to know that you have received your order MXW. Will you re-post when you have had a chance to use it for a day or so. I would be interested to know if the smell is authentic, if it is long lasting and importantly, does it affect your skin at all.

Thank you.
# 20
MXW
Old 25-04-2008, 6:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycake View Post
Good to know that you have received your order MXW. Will you re-post when you have had a chance to use it for a day or so. I would be interested to know if the smell is authentic, if it is long lasting and importantly, does it affect your skin at all.

Thank you.
Yes, no problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to MXW For This Useful Post: Show me >>