Admiral Insurance Complaint

Options

Comments

• rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Insurance companies are no longer allowed to just add products onto a policy without giving the customer the cost and the option to say no.

My advice to you would be to send in a written complaint and mention that you are considering going to the FSA also as it costs insurance companies £400 for the FSA to take the case whether the insurance companies win or lose. To avoid paying the fee in most cases you would get a letter of apology and maybe some compensation to cover the cost of calls etc.
    This.
    Try and annoy them as much as possible, threaten the FSA (and carry through if you don't get a good enough response). I would have thought they'd give you a few quid compensation?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jhnsmth wrote: »
    Not to mention that they currently have a policy in effect whereby, without the customers' knowledge, they will future-date the expiry date of their customers' expired credit cards before the policy's renewal date comes up to ensure they get paid. In other words, if you are an Admiral customer renewing your policy in December 2010, but your credit card you gave them last year expired in, say July 2010, they will change that card's expiry date to July 2012 to make sure the system applies for payment. They do this behind the scenes, without advising the customer they are falsifying their financial information. If the customer calls to complain about money being taken from their expired card, they are refunded. If the customer pushes for more information and asks why payment was taken from an expired card, they are told to contact their card provider.

That is exactly what happened to me. I can't remember the insurance company that did it, but I had to threaten them with the FSA to get a refund. I think it was Admiral's sister company, Elephant.
  • Lord_Bungle
    Options
    I have just received a letter informing me Adrmiral have taken money from my account as they havent received proof of no claims from my previous insurer, My previous insurer is you guessed it Adrmiral, in the last month they have managed to quote me a price for multicar policy then increase it without informing me, tell me they were taking £485 for adding 1 car to my policy and then took £990 as the policy I was adding the car to runs out (it hasn't yet) in march, managed to miss spell my name on policy and cover notes (even though I have been insured with them for 2 years) charge me for breakdown cover I said I wasn't interested in, charged me for legal cover I said I didn't want, then told me I will have to pay to have removed.
    If anyone asks me for advice on if they are any good the only advice I can give if I wouldn't even trust them to insure my shoe laces are tied.
  • tim_clarke
    Options
    2 years ago I paid £15 using my debit card, over the phone, to insure myself on my sisters car for a few days using their car insurer.
    Last month, Admiral took £355 from my card without warning, pushing me into overdraft and landing me with a £20 charge. Had no idea who they were as didn't even know my sister used admiral, took an hour on the phone to them to trace payment, before trying to tell me my brother in law must have taken my card and paid for it.
    When pressed, they said they actualy had my card details from the transaction 2 years ago.

Then they refused to discuss it further with me as the insurance wasn't in my name. Brother in law rang them multiple times over a fortnight they promised to refund and didn't, finally told him I had to dispute it through my bank. Bank can't help told me Admiral have to sort it out as i'd "implied" permission for them to take payments as I'd given them my card details.
    They did however tell me that last year admiral had also taken £279 out of my account that I'd somehow missed, must of thought it was travel insurance as I was about to go travelling for a few months. Brother in law trying to call them again today, round and round we go again.
    Absolutely disgraceful and I'm surprised an organisation can carry on like this, contacting the ombudsman next.......
  • Reverend2009
    Options
    I wanted to share a bit of my awful experience with Admiral. I have had insurance with them for 9 months now, and pay by Direct Debit.

Just before I went on holiday I had to close my bank account. I switched over all immediate Direct Debits (those which needed paying before I returned) to my new account. I did try Admiral before I left too but after being on hold for 15 minutes I gave up and decided to try when I got back.

However, when I got back there was a letter from Admiral. It said that my DD was cancelled and that I was in breach of my contract. Now, my payment wasn't due for another few days so I wasn't too worried about it and called them.

Again, I was on hold for about 10-15 minutes before my call was answered (they think we have nothing better to do I guess). The girl took all the details - new bank account number and everything... then cut me off! 20+ minutes wasted.

I called straight back, very annoyed at this point. I got an Indian call center this time (again after a long wait though). This chap tells me I cannot pay in installmenmts anymore though - I have to pay the full outstanding amount (like, £190). He started telling me about all these letter they'd sent and the dates of the letters - one was the one I first received, the other two letters hadn't even arrived at this point - they sent one the day before, and one that day (the day I was on the phone to him, I mean)!

I asked to speak with his supervisor, who apparently was unavailable but would call me straight back. This was at about 2pm. His supervisor finally called me at 7:30pm. At work. Obviously I missed the call. He didn't call again.

Today I decided to go through the pain of calling them again. Wow, I got straight through! .... only, their systems are down and they can't help me - "call us back in 2 hours" she said, and immediately hung up.

...!

Admiral Insurance, you are a disgrace. I will not be coming back to you for insurance after his one expires - I will never give my money to you again.
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    how they have managed to do this for so many years is beyond me. my sisted had trouble with them when her car was stolen took her years to get the settlement out of them and the FSA were involved, best defense they came up with was they has a reason to belive it was a false claim but couldnt dicus it with the poilicy holder, day before it was due to go to court they paid out.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Just to put some balance on here. I and my son have Elephant policies (same company as Admiral). I have had no problems paying (I pay full amount up front), had no problems declining 'extras', no problems cancelling renewal (I did inform them in writing that I did not wish to renew), my son had no problem with an at fault claim, I received a refund for taking a young driver off the policy with no problem. All the documents are sent out quickly and are generally correct. The only downside is Albany Assistance who don't assist at all; total rubbish. Other than that Elephant aren't bad for a cheap insurer and good for young drivers (friend of mine save d £2000 with Elephant compared to his existing insurer when adding his daughter to the policy). Hope this helps add some perspective.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I recall a fall out with Tesco Insurance over our PT Cruiser. When we purchased it, it was the demonstrator car at the dealers and as such they replaced the standard alloys it came with and put steel wheels on (Why? No idea!). We bought the car, insured it, then a few months later bought the standard alloys and fitted them so the car was now exactly as it had rolled off the production line. Tesco decided this would now cost £75 more.

We wrote, we reasoned, we even did an insurance quote through Tesco based on the same car with steel wheels or with the factory standard alloys, not a penny difference. Cancelled in the end. Wouldn't insure a hamster through Tesco now.
  • 76rosie
    76rosie Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    thanks guys. Got quotes and admiral the cheapest. No way am i going there. For the sake of a few pounds will go to diamond.:beer::j
    grocery challenge 9.86/60
  • Chimpofdoom
    Chimpofdoom Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    76rosie wrote: »
    thanks guys. Got quotes and admiral the cheapest. No way am i going there. For the sake of a few pounds will go to diamond.:beer::j

Diamond and admiral are the same company....

Edit:

As for admiral.. I haven't had any problems...
    :exclamatiTo the internet.. I need to complain about something!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure