PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What to do with elderberries?

Options
Whilst picking wild blackberries, (as per Pal's post- brilliant idea!) I saw loads of ripe elderberries too. I'm not really keen on the idea of elderberry wine (or is it elderflower anyway?), can anyone suggest something else I could do with them please?

Thought about making some cordial as Christmas presents, but 1. Don't know how and 2. Not sure that I don't need elderflowers instead :confused:

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Comments

• se999
    se999 Posts: 2,409 Forumite
    Options
    Just had a look and found this page with pies and jellies aswell as wine etc.

http://members.aol.com/BLaneKY/elderberry.htm

Edit - This page has links to more elderberry recipes that seem a bit clearer, the links are towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.elderberries.com/elderberries.html
  • henhog
    henhog Posts: 2,786 Forumite
    Options
    I looked in my Marguerite Pattern Jam book index under elderberries and she has;
    Elderberry and apple jam
    elderberry chutney
    elderberry jam
    elderberry and pear jam
    elderberry and quince jam
    and elderberry vinegar!

I could type up any recipes if you are interested or you could try to get the book in the library.
    Good luck!
  • Louisa_2
    Louisa_2 Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you henhog, :A could I have the one for elderberry chutney please? Sounds tasty.
  • hawhaw
    hawhaw Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I stew elderberries and add them to blackberries in pies and crumbles.
  • henhog
    henhog Posts: 2,786 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, The elderberrry chutney recipe is a variation on her apple chutney so I will give you the recipe for the apple chutney and her variation for elderberries.

1 lb onions -weight when peeled and finely chopped
    1/2 pint malt vinegar (white)
    2 lb cooking apples (weight when peeled and cored)
    1 teaspoon pf pickling spices
    12 0z soft light brown sugar
    40z raisins or any other dried fruit
    salt and pepper to taste

Chop the onions and put into half the amount of vinegar and simmer gently for ten mins. Cut the apple into 3/4 inch dice and add to the pan with the rest of the vinegar, the pickling spices (tied in a muslin) the sugar, the dried fruit and a little seasoning. Stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved and then simmer steadily, stirring from time to time, until the consistency of a thick jam. Remove the bag of pickling spices. Spoon the chutney into hot jars and seal down.

The variation for elderberry chutney is

follow the apple chutney recipe but use 1 lb of elderberries and 1 lb of apples. For a less strong flavour use only 8oz elderberries and 1 1/2 lb of apples. In each case the weight of apples is when they have been peeled and cored.

I haven't tried it, so if any one does make it I'd be very interested to know how it turns out!
    Henhog
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am just trying to make elderberry jam in my breadmaker - first lot turned out runny so hope this does better.

Googled on elderberries and seems they are very good for coughs, colds and flu- put one teaspoon of the jam in a cup and add hot water.

Will try this on my lot this winter.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Elderberry syrup. Lovely for when you have a cold or sore throat in the winter. It's quite thick and you dilute with hot water, makes a lovely hot soothing and comforting drink. Also full of Vitamin C, like Ribena!

Not sure how to make it. I would guess - cook the elderberries in a little water, strain them through a fine nylon sieve (of course they used a muslin bag from the time I remember it being made when I was a kid in the 1940s). Cook the elderberries, strain, add sugar, bottle for use in the winter. No idea of quantities though - can anyone help?

Aunty Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    How about this one Aunty Margaret? Is that what you mean?

http://www.irishsecrets.ie/recipe-secrets/elderberry-syrup.php
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    Have found a nice little quite spot full of brambles that no-one else seems to know about. I have been picking the brambles as they ripen and noticed there's a fair amount of elderberries there too.

I thought i'd spend the time picking them if i can think of something that i can use them for. Any suggestions? Not alcohol-related though, we're tea-totallers.

Thanks
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Have a look on here - there are recipies for cordial, jelly, ice-cream and pie
    http://www.patch-work.demon.co.uk/elder.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family