Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Bambywamby
    • 29th Mar 08, 6:41 PM
    • 29th Mar 08, 6:41 PM
    I put some value goods into brand labelled bags as O/H can be quite brand fussy. This can include Asda teabags into Yorkshire tea box, value biccys go straight into the biccy tin and value oven chips go straight into a McCains bag I have kept. He doesn't notice the difference at all.

I bulk my curries up with grated carrot - not only does it dissapear into the curry because its a similar colour, it means less meat is needed and it is alot better for my vegetable shy family.

I soak tea stained cups/stained kitchen utensils in a bleach water solotion in my kitchn bowel, when they are clean I then use half the water to mop the kitchen floor and the other half to put down the toilet.

When fruit goes "limp" or past it...and my son turns his nose up at eating "rotten food" I pop it into a smoothie and he guzzles it down being none the wiser.

The things we will do eh?
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
    • kippers
    • By kippers 29th Mar 08, 6:58 PM
    • 1,914 Posts
    • 5,816 Thanks
    kippers
    • 29th Mar 08, 6:58 PM
    • 29th Mar 08, 6:58 PM
    My husband thinks he eats Kelloggs cornflakes and my DD2 thinks she has kelloggs coco pops...both are Tesco's own
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 29th Mar 08, 7:49 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 29th Mar 08, 7:49 PM
    • 29th Mar 08, 7:49 PM
    I do the ice cream cone thing too My kids prefer them to a bowlful. Of course I'd put loads more in a bowl.
  • Cornishpixie
    • 29th Mar 08, 8:03 PM
    • 29th Mar 08, 8:03 PM
    I buy value raisens and put into saved little boxes. My kids all like different fruit which never lasts. So I buy some for the house and give them a few dried apricots in their packed lunches, saves buying even more fruit.Give DS3 snacks in a sandwhich bag which he carries around and eats whilst we are out. Things like rice cakes, dried fruit, sliced orange, bread sticks etc.
    • angchris
    • By angchris 30th Mar 08, 2:21 AM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 2,221 Thanks
    angchris
    • 30th Mar 08, 2:21 AM
    • 30th Mar 08, 2:21 AM
    i buy whole milk and when nobody is looking the milk gets a good glug of water from the tap to eek it out a little further. neither my son or my oh have twigged that i do this yet, i reckon this has saved me a small fortune over the years because both of them eat huge bowls of cereal everyday and sometimes they eat 2 bowls each, i certainly notice the difference doing my shopping monthly as i don`t buy nearly as much milk as i used to
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance!
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • Kay Peel
    • 30th Mar 08, 5:43 AM
    • 30th Mar 08, 5:43 AM
    I switch off the oven for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking time.
  • mineallmine
    • 30th Mar 08, 9:55 AM
    • 30th Mar 08, 9:55 AM
    Learn about cuts of meat. Now use neck of lamb for stew with the bones left on. I found it cheaper than other cuts and gave the best flavour. Took trial and error and my blank face at the butcher every time he spoke about a different cut but got there in the end!
    Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • gazza975526570
    • 30th Mar 08, 9:57 AM
    • 30th Mar 08, 9:57 AM
    Just wanted to say some of these are great and im learning!!

Keep em coming guys
  • seraphina
    I cut my Brillo pads into quarters - I use them only rarely and I'm not using a whole one for one pot/cooker ring!

Put soap/fairy liquid into a pump dispenser - this prevents MrS from using half a pint everytime he does the washing up!
    • Madcatgirl
    • By Madcatgirl 30th Mar 08, 11:25 AM
    • 308 Posts
    • 3,920 Thanks
    Madcatgirl
    Good tips! I've I'm working at home I fill a thermos with coffee first thing rather than keep on boiling the kettle. I also have two different types of porridge/hot oats. I use value porridge which takes longer to cook at weekends and days at home and only use more expensive quicker cooking oats on work days.

I love the tip about turning the cooker off early. A great tip with electric cookers that take hours to cool down (and heat up!)
    March 2016 - £178,914.59; July 2017 £153,670
    Mortgage end Sept 2043; Target - pay off by March 2022
    Total ops £20,332.45 2017 ops £9439.13 2017 target balance £150,000
    • noonesperfect
    • By noonesperfect 30th Mar 08, 12:38 PM
    • 1,816 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    noonesperfect
    Once vegetable have reached the boil I put the lid on and turn the ring off. All the vegetables I cook this way (residual heat/ceramic hob) are great (wouldn't try it with something that needs 15 mins+ like spuds tho).
    • lilmisskitkat
    • By lilmisskitkat 30th Mar 08, 1:05 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    lilmisskitkat
    I love threads like this

We eat Heinz ketchup, beans and spaghetti, PG Tips, Kenco, real Weetabix, Coco Pops and Shreddies etc - at least OH thinks we do I hide the SP tins at the back of the cupboard, refill the ketchup bottle and put the teabags, coffee and cereals straight into containers. Hes none the wiser lol

I always give DD ice cream in a cone because it uses less, plus if shes been playing out she usually has a friend or two in tow - not that i mind because shes always getting stuff from their mams too.

I cut my facial wipes in half, dont need a full one unless i've been on a night out (rare occurence these days!) and have done the 'full face' inc foundation etc. Never thought to cut brillos up, great idea!

No doubt i think of more in a bit :rolleyes: Can't remember my own name half the time lol

Kate xxx
    Last edited by lilmisskitkat; 30-03-2008 at 1:07 PM.
    • Trying_really_hard
    • By Trying_really_hard 30th Mar 08, 1:26 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 1,880 Thanks
    Trying_really_hard
    I put some value goods into brand labelled bags as O/H can be quite brand fussy.
    Originally posted by Bambywamby
    This is brilliant - so simple, yet I never thought of it. Might be a bit hard to do with Lynx body spray :rolleyes: but should be able to manage it with lots of other things.
    How long til pay day?
    March Grocery Challenge - £69.54 / £300
    • Desperate Housewife
    • By Desperate Housewife 30th Mar 08, 1:31 PM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 6,498 Thanks
    Desperate Housewife
    I used my piggypoint vouchers to buy a kettle from john lewis (wouldn't have paid actual real money for this) and put my electric kettle away. I reckon I've saved loads on energy costs and the whistling kettle can't be ignored so there is no more putting the kettle on and forgetting about it.

Bulk cooking to save energy.

Bulk out stews/curries/ mince etc with lentils, grated veg and..porridge!

When I do my budget at the start of each month, I 'overbudget'. For example if the tv licence is £11.61, I budget £15 and do this for each outgoing, when the bank statement comes I pocket the difference into my mortgage pig. It all adds up.

1 teabag for 2 cups of tea. Cheapo teabags for the kids as they don't notice.

Mix milk with made up powdered milk to spin it out.

Sainsburys cornflakes are 29p per box and taste great!

Serve water and bread at mealtimes to fill them up!

Use leftovers eg I did too much rice last night so tomorrow I'll chop up an onion and put a tin of mixed beans with it and give it to hubby for lunch.

If I think of any more I'll post...keep them coming guys this is a great thread!
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000.
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil.
  • Mellika
    My husband notices ANY changes

Fortunately, as long as he likes it, he doesn't mind value stuff (he's not snobby)

Unfortunately, he won't budge from Kellogs cereals or expensive coffee
    • lilmisskitkat
    • By lilmisskitkat 30th Mar 08, 2:24 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    lilmisskitkat
    This is brilliant - so simple, yet I never thought of it. Might be a bit hard to do with Lynx body spray :rolleyes: but should be able to manage it with lots of other things.
    Originally posted by Trying_really_hard
    Do you know i was JUST thinking about that!! Honestly, i was in the bedroom drying my hair and looking round (after posting on this thread about the things i swap round without him noticing lol) and thought "I wish there was a way to put Asda deoderant in his Lynx can" lol That and his hair gel are the only things he insists on a certain brand for so when they're on offer i stock up - i currently have 6 cans of Lynx in the drawer under the bed

Then again i can't complain, i dont care about deoderant/shampoo/shower gel etc but i have to have my Olay moisturiser, its the best one i've tried for my skin.

Kate xxx
    • angchris
    • By angchris 30th Mar 08, 2:35 PM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 2,221 Thanks
    angchris
    i keep my heating turned off completely, it only gets turned on once in a blue moon when mr angchris is home and is moaning :rolleyes: , even when he`s turned it on about 1/2 hour later i wander around after him turning things off he should learn to put jumpers on and not wander around in winter in tshirts and wonder why he`s cold!
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance!
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
    • beedeedee
    • By beedeedee 30th Mar 08, 3:39 PM
    • 901 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    beedeedee
    Squeeze a loo roll into an oval shape. It doesn't rollout so easily - and kids tend not to use yards at a time!
    • got-it-spend-it
    • By got-it-spend-it 30th Mar 08, 5:30 PM
    • 4,979 Posts
    • 26,648 Thanks
    got-it-spend-it
    Save pump dispensers from handwash and refill with shampoo and conditioner that you keep in the shower. The amount that is dispensed with one or two pumps is plenty, and it stops you tipping out too much.

I love the tip about squeezing the loo roll- I do this and it definitely does make it last longer.

I dilute my orange juice (value, of course) half and half with value fizzy water (17p for two litres) and it makes a delicious drink that makes the OJ go further.

Keep the ideas coming!

GISI
    Yummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

3,048Users online

Martin's Twitter