Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Techie Stuff > Ps3 Wireless Connection (wpa Key) (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Ps3 Wireless Connection (wpa Key)
Closed Thread
Views: 21,656
# 1
mikeopvc
Old 22-03-2008, 5:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Post Ps3 Wireless Connection (wpa Key)

I'm trying to get my ps3 connected but don't know what my WPA KEY is, where will I find it, I had a look in the wirless connection settings on my pc but couldn't see anything under WPA.
When going through the steps it has another option of WEP KEY but not sure what this is either,
any advice please

thanks
Mike
# 2
superscaper
Old 22-03-2008, 5:35 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Down to you when you set up your wireless network. If there's a default key it'll be written in your user guide or on your router but usually it's one you've set yourself, same goes for which type of wireless encryption, WPA (preferable) or WEP (not advised).

You could try http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html
"She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
Moss
The Following User Says Thank You to superscaper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
mikeopvc
Old 22-03-2008, 5:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

So is the WEP KEY actually the wireless network password? or is it something else?
# 4
superscaper
Old 22-03-2008, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeopvc View Post
So is the WEP KEY actually the wireless network password? or is it something else?
Yes, although that's not to be confused with the (wireless) router password which is what's used to access the router's settings..
"She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
Moss
The Following User Says Thank You to superscaper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
mikeopvc
Old 22-03-2008, 5:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have a wireless network name which I thinks is the SSID and a wireless network password, I have typed in the password and it says A CONNECTION TO THE ACCESS POINT COULD NOT BE ESTABLISHED CHECK THE SECURITY SETTINGS FOR THE WIRELESS LAN
By the way my password is 18 characters long but when I press select after typing it in it reverts back to 8 characters ********
Does this mean my WPA KEY should also be 8 characters?

Last edited by mikeopvc; 22-03-2008 at 5:59 PM.
# 6
superscaper
Old 22-03-2008, 6:02 PM

Make sure you've definitely selected the correct encryption type. The other thing to look at is the router settings to see whether it's restricting which devices can connect (i.e. only specific MAC numbers are allowed to connect, if this is the case you need to add the MAC of the PS3 which should be given as an option in the router settings or added manually from the MAC usually written on the device/PS3 somewhere).
Moss
# 7
mikeopvc
Old 22-03-2008, 6:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Not sure how to check the router settings as it's not actually connected to my pc as i'm wireless. I just went into network connections and disconnected my wireless and then connected again to see what happened, it asked for my WPA KEY to connect, it was already typed in but didn't actually show the characters.
# 8
superscaper
Old 22-03-2008, 6:26 PM

You can still access your router sesttings even through a wireless connection. Just put the router's address in your browser. Something like 192.168.0.1 but may be different depending on your router's make and model.
Moss
# 9
albertross
Old 22-03-2008, 6:31 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Does this mean my WPA KEY should also be 8 characters?
No it could be upto 63 but still shows as 8 *'s, use the nirsoft utility or login to the router to check it. which router.

netgear 192.168.0.1

linksys 192.168.1.1

belkin 192.168.2.1
The Following User Says Thank You to albertross For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
mikeopvc
Old 22-03-2008, 6:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

In security I have 2 encryption types to choose from, TKIP and AES. It is currently set at TKIP, under that is the network security key but again that just reads as 8 dots.
# 11
Ice
Old 22-03-2008, 6:46 PM

look in the PS3 book under wireless connection and follow from there...I have netgear it took me less than 5 minutes to set the wireless connection...just follow the instrustions in the book then type in what you need
netgear SSID is netgear...
wep key/wpa key
will be in the settings of your router online under wireless settings...

if you do a scan on the PS3 it should pick up your router...the ssid is sometime's on the back or bottom of your router...

but you'll still need to go to your router home page and get the wpa'wep key which is rather a long code...

hths

Plans for 2009
1/ Get fit. 2/ Get my figure back. 3/ Get the MAN BACK!
contrary to popular belief, I am all Woman.

Last edited by Ice; 22-03-2008 at 6:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ice For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
JustPassingBy
Old 22-03-2008, 6:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
In security I have 2 encryption types to choose from, TKIP and AES. It is currently set at TKIP, under that is the network security key but again that just reads as 8 dots.
Leave it at TKIP - that's fine. Delete the dots and put in something simple like "saturday". Use the same password on the ps3.

If it works go back and change the password to something more secure like "SaturdayWasTheDayIGotMyps3ConnectedTo192*168*0*1F ANTASTIC!!!"

Brian.
The Following User Says Thank You to JustPassingBy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
kle87
Old 22-03-2008, 6:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi guys,

I have a problem connecting my ps3 to the internet wirelessly. I previously used a belkin router and it connected instantly with no problems, however have changed ISPs to AOL and now have a Netgear router.

Rang AOL, they said to click 'use proxy server' and then said i needed to contact sony for the address. Is this true? Can anyone help me please?
2010 Wins: Benecol Bag For Life, 150 FCUK Voucher, Rimmel Foundation, L'oreal Mascara, 60 worth of hair products, 100
# 14
mikeopvc
Old 22-03-2008, 6:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I used the nirsoft utility to check and got 2 results, each with a different key type, WEP and WPA-PSK. Under Key(hex) is a 10 digit key for WEP and a 64 digit key for WPA-PSK.
Is one better to use than the other or shall I just try any?
# 15
mikeopvc
Old 22-03-2008, 7:27 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassingBy View Post
Leave it at TKIP - that's fine. Delete the dots and put in something simple like "saturday". Use the same password on the ps3.

If it works go back and change the password to something more secure like "SaturdayWasTheDayIGotMyps3ConnectedTo192*168*0*1F ANTASTIC!!!"

Brian.
Tried that brian, didn't work now my pc isn't connecting and as I don't know my key I can't sort it.
# 16
albertross
Old 22-03-2008, 7:50 PM

Mike,

login to the router, and there you will find the key
The Following User Says Thank You to albertross For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
totalsolutions
Old 22-03-2008, 10:55 PM
PPR

The PS3 wpa key needs to be 13 characters exactly, change the router as well to 13 random letter/numbers

Last edited by totalsolutions; 22-03-2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: addition
The Following User Says Thank You to totalsolutions For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
mikeopvc
Old 23-03-2008, 10:48 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

How do I change the key on the router?, I did try that once as brian suggested above, I typed in SATURDAY as the network key and then repeated this for the ps3, it didn't work so I went back to my pc and found I had lost the connection on that. The WPA-PSK key I got from the nirsoft utility is 64 characters, I did try that on the ps3 but still no success.
# 19
JustPassingBy
Old 23-03-2008, 12:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
How do I change the key on the router?, I did try that once as brian suggested above, I typed in SATURDAY as the network key and then repeated this for the ps3, it didn't work so I went back to my pc and found I had lost the connection on that. The WPA-PSK key I got from the nirsoft utility is 64 characters, I did try that on the ps3 but still no success.
How exactly are trying to contact the router from the PC? Something like http://192.168.0.1 with your browser?

Brian.
The Following User Says Thank You to JustPassingBy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
mikeopvc
Old 23-03-2008, 5:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalsolutions View Post
The PS3 wpa key needs to be 13 characters exactly, change the router as well to 13 random letter/numbers
My WPA KEY is 64 characters, how do I change it to 13 characters, I thought I had changed it once to SATURDAY as suggested by brian but not only did it not work on the ps3 but I couldn't even get back online on my pc until I retyped the 64 character key.
Closed Thread