IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How much does a new roof cost?
Views: 292,428
# 1
whirlwind
Old 18-02-2008, 11:31 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default How much does a new roof cost?

Hi

Roughly how much does a new roof cost on a house? A tile roof on an average/large 3 bed semi (ex council house)?

It has some tiles missing and a lot of moss on the side that does not get the sun, also some woodworm on some beams which we've been advised some parts of them would need replacing. The advice came via a structural engineer who's read the full survey (but not seen the house).

Thank you
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
whirlwind
Old 18-02-2008, 11:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Ps would you buy a house that needed this sort of work? By some tiles missing on the roof, I mean about 5.
# 3
margaretclare
Old 18-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Our roof was completely replaced in 2006 for approx 3,500 (from memory). 2-bedroom bungalow, roof had to be replaced because it was asbestos tiles. The work also included some extra roof joists because modern concrete tiles are heavier, also a liner.

Margaret
r ic wisdom funde, r wear ic eald.
Before I found wisdom, I became old.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to margaretclare For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
whirlwind
Old 18-02-2008, 12:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thansk - that's very cheap. I was told 20,000 as a quote for a smaller 3 bed house from a friend.
The Following User Says Thank You to whirlwind For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
sooz
Old 18-02-2008, 12:53 PM

It depends on many things, including how big the roof is :confused:

Why don't you get a local roofing company out to give you a quote, and use this proper written quote when negotiating on the price of the house you are thinking of buying.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sooz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
PasturesNew
Old 18-02-2008, 1:18 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I had a big old mid-terrace, L shaped. I was given a rough estimate in 2006 that it would cost 5,000 using slate tiles.

The roof had a height of 7' at the Apex.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PasturesNew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
blue_monkey
Old 18-02-2008, 2:13 PM

LL had a quote of 10k for a 3 bedroom semi with flat end to be fully retiled. Ended up going for that stuff that is sprayed inside for insulation, had a velux window fitted and they fixed the tiles (they will fix up to 50 times) and replaced the flashing around the chimney for 3,200 I believe. I think there was one company featured on watchdog but the stuff on ours seems to be OK and it was done almost 3 years ago now, I actually go into the loft now and it means we have an attic room with light and hubby put flooring in. perfect 'playroom or games room' for older children who can get up and down the loft ladder.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blue_monkey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
scrummy mummy
Old 18-02-2008, 2:57 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Rooves....NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!

I have a valley with a leak in it on a 1950's semi....one bloke actually had the gaul to tell me it would be 2000 to reline the valley....once I'd clarified with him I didn't want it lining with platinum, I got one of the kids' dads from school to do it for 500...he told me an ntire new roof would only have been 2500 for the whole house!
I have had quotes from as little as 450 for that valley up to 6000...yes, 6000 from a bloke who (in his professional opinion!) stood at the bottom of the drive, looked at it and advised me that that was the only way to fix the leak...by paying him 6000!! i think not.

Best advice...find a school from someone who has kids and ask there...someone is bound to be a roofer or know of one who can be trusted, but don't pay ridiculous amounts of cash. For a whole new roof, benchmark yourself at around 2 to 3K basic start price and go up accordingly.
Alternatively, ring the council and ask if they can recommend anyone...sometimes their contractors do private work and some councils run approved contractor schemes for just this purpose.
You could also ask on the property maintenance/DIY board?
Good luck,
The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself. (Oscar Wilde)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scrummy mummy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
whirlwind
Old 18-02-2008, 5:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks everyone, these ideas are *much* less than I thought. I like the roof lined in platium idea, lol!

We let the house go because of the roof in the end..... becuase of how much we thought it would cost for a new one.
# 10
Joyful
Old 18-02-2008, 6:03 PM

I have been quoted from 7000 to 17000 for my 3 bed semi to be replaced with spanish tiles which are cheaper. Two quotes at 7K One at 11K,14K and 17K. Wish I lived where the cheaper quotes are:rolleyes:.
# 11
whirlwind
Old 18-02-2008, 10:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Are you in London or the South East by any chance?

Some people in the South have also told me roofs start from about 3.5 k.
# 12
looops
Old 13-06-2008, 8:12 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default felt roof replacement

hello everyone . . .

i'm kinda new to this site, so if this question is in the wrong spot or doesn't make sense then please do let me know . . .

. . .basically i am trying to buy a house which is in need of a total overhaul, it's very dated and needs re-wire, boiler etc . . it turns out it has a pitched felt roof. (looks like slates in a terracota colour) The house was built late 60's - early 70's, although the roof doesn't appear to be that old. It's in exceptional condition, no moss, tears, cracks, bumps or bulges and there is no sign of deffect from outside or signs of leaking or problems on the inside.

The problem is the survey has gone back to the mortgage company dictating that the roof is replaced . . ." the roof coverings are substandard and require replacement with a more durable material. Quotations for this work should be obtained from reputable roofing company" they will not give us the money until the seller replaces it completely, they wont let us do it retrospectively once we move in.

this seems very odd to me as it is in really good condition . . . is a felt roof like this particulary bad, if so why?? - or have i got a very anal surveyor??? this property had a previous survey in November 07 and nothing was noted.

If this does have to be replaced - what sort of costs am i looking at??

guys - sorry for the length of this post, i just can't explain in any less!!

Thanks in advance

Lee
The Following User Says Thank You to looops For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
margaretclare
Old 14-06-2008, 10:06 AM

We had our roof replaced a couple of years ago - it was 1930s asbestos tiles which were fine when left alone, but the nails had become corroded so tiles were slipping and cracking.

Cost of roof on a semi bungalow - approx £3.5K (from memory).

HTH
r ic wisdom funde, r wear ic eald.
Before I found wisdom, I became old.
The Following User Says Thank You to margaretclare For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
poppysarah
Old 14-06-2008, 11:45 AM

Ring tile reclaimer to see what they'll give you for your old tiles
# 15
peter poole
Old 14-02-2010, 10:16 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
Hi

Roughly how much does a new roof cost on a house? A tile roof on an average/large 3 bed semi (ex council house)?

It has some tiles missing and a lot of moss on the side that does not get the sun, also some woodworm on some beams which we've been advised some parts of them would need replacing. The advice came via a structural engineer who's read the full survey (but not seen the house).

Thank you
it would,nt be to much if you can reuse the exsisting tiles scaffold about 300 for front and back labour and materials about1800 so roughly your looking at 2100 or there abouts watch out theres allot of rip off merchants out there
# 16
Joyful
Old 14-02-2010, 11:21 AM

I eventually had my roof replaced for 10,000 inc Vat. This was for a 3 bed semi using half newer tiles and half from the existing roof. This was also insured for 10 years. This was the best deal I was able to get in Edinburgh.
I am an employee of British Gas.The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
# 17
Drodough
Old 14-02-2010, 2:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just had a quote for 6,000 plus VAT to replace all roof covering (ie all clay tiles, hip tiles, ridge tiles). THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY WOODWORK/BEAMS. This was a 3 bed semi

Yes, I would buy a house that needed that much work, after getting quotes for repair and a survey done, if I really liked the house and got it for the right price.
# 18
uk property expert
Old 14-02-2010, 3:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by looops View Post
hello everyone . . .

i'm kinda new to this site, so if this question is in the wrong spot or doesn't make sense then please do let me know . . .

. . .basically i am trying to buy a house which is in need of a total overhaul, it's very dated and needs re-wire, boiler etc . . it turns out it has a pitched felt roof. (looks like slates in a terracota colour) The house was built late 60's - early 70's, although the roof doesn't appear to be that old. It's in exceptional condition, no moss, tears, cracks, bumps or bulges and there is no sign of deffect from outside or signs of leaking or problems on the inside.

The problem is the survey has gone back to the mortgage company dictating that the roof is replaced . . ." the roof coverings are substandard and require replacement with a more durable material. Quotations for this work should be obtained from reputable roofing company" they will not give us the money until the seller replaces it completely, they wont let us do it retrospectively once we move in.

this seems very odd to me as it is in really good condition . . . is a felt roof like this particulary bad, if so why?? - or have i got a very anal surveyor??? this property had a previous survey in November 07 and nothing was noted.

If this does have to be replaced - what sort of costs am i looking at??

guys - sorry for the length of this post, i just can't explain in any less!!

Thanks in advance

Lee
I would spak with the surveyor, then ring bs and ask for a second opinion, or apply for a different mortgage.

You could exchange contracts then do the work get a re survey then complete
# 19
nettttie
Old 05-04-2010, 12:31 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I helped arrange for my uncle to have a new roof. 3K from brother-in-law. Now I dont know the in's and out's of the new roof (nor do the gossip mongers!) - but he's been informed he's being ripped off!!

it's a 3 bed quasi-semi - from what I've tried to find out, it seems ok. My bil often does work for us and usually under prices - ie: mates rates.

he's putting a stud wall up in my kids large double bedroom, replacing the large window with one he can put the studd wall up against. There is a smaller window in the corner he's dropping so its the same length, and doors and frames, putting in new plugs and lighting switches and moving plumbing for radiates (I'm buying). For that he's quoted me 1800.

Does anybody think 3k is excessive? thanks,
# 20
nettttie
Old 05-04-2010, 4:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

*bump* any builders about today please?