PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Standard abbreviations used in Old Style

Options
squeaky
squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker
edited 17 February 2012 at 6:02PM in Old style MoneySaving
Right, that does it :)

Time for an addition to the Welcome Sticky.

DD = Dear Daughter (or Darling, (or even Devil :))

DD1 = First daughter

DD2 - 2nd...

DS = Dear Son

DS1 = First son

DS2 = second...

OH = Other Half

DH = Dear Husband (on good days, anyway :))

SO = Significant Other

BF = Boy Friend

Have I missed any? Or can I cut and paste this as it is?

Edit:

LO = Little One

MIL/FIL/BIL/SIL etc for the in-laws, (mum, dad, brother and sister) dreaded or otherwise :)

DM = Dear Mum

HM = Home Made

YS - Yellow stickered

NSD - No Spend Day, or No Shopping Day

DFW - The Debt Free Wannabe board

OS - Old Style (of course :))

Appliances:

BM Bread Maker
WM Washing Machine
DW Dish Washer
SC Slow Cooker
TD Tumble Drier

Standard Acronyms used Web wide:

LOL Laugh Out Loud

HTH Hope That Helps/ed

TYIA Thanking You In Anticipation

IYSWIM If You See What I mean

Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50

Comments

• silverfoxdude
    silverfoxdude Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you v much squeaky, its been botherin me all day lol....... I can now sleep easy, cheers hehe
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Wait a mo Squeaks- I saw one today that I didn't get...it might have been a typo....give me 5 minutes to see if I can find it

edit - it was on the OS baby thread and it was in reference to a baby, what does LO mean?

edit again - I think that silverfoxdude was asking about LOL too

edited again- LO is little one, it just came to me!
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't forget MIL/FIL/BIL/SIL etc for the in-laws, (mum, dad, brother and sister) dreaded or otherwise :)

bf - boyfriend (boyf)
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'll edit them in, thanks both. Any more?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    HM - home made?
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Will do. I added DM too.
  • silverfoxdude
    silverfoxdude Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    Options
    OMG = yea = yes, oh my god/gosh, I can see there is a lot to learn here, lol = laugh out loud....... I'll = I will try and learn all these asap = as soon as possible

FYI = for you information, this is a cryptic silly msg = message

seriously though, thanks = thank you
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    squeaky wrote:
    I'll edit them in, thanks both. Any more?
    I use an extra "s" in the children/grandchildren abbreviations of mine, but I don't think I've seen them anywhere else.

Therefore ds-s = darling/dearest/dratted step-son; ds-d = step-daughter; etc ... because they're not actually mine, you understand ... I was only 7 when ds-d was born, and at age 27 I inherited a 4 year old ds-gd.
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And then there's...

LOL = Lots of Laughter / Laughing out Loud

BTW = By The Way

TBH = To Be Honest

The original small insert into the welcome sticky is looking as though it will get rather long. I think I'll split these posts and make a new thread that I can point to. That way the welcome stays tidy and the thread can be added to if needed without me having to constantly edit things.
  • sarahmelita
    sarahmelita Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for this thread, have been wondering about some of the abbreviations for a while, but didn't want to seem stupid! There is still one I can't figure out though - PMSL or something like that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure