Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Muppet81
    Painting my kitchen units - a success story
    • 28th Jan 08, 2:53 PM
    Painting my kitchen units - a success story 28th Jan 08 at 2:53 PM
    Well! Several weeks ago I asked the lovely people on the forum for advice on several options 1) paint existing solid oak kitchen unit doors 2) replace doors with either wood doors or mdf to paint.

Lots of you gave me advice and I sifted through it and got estimates for replacing doors (15 in total).
    In MDF 600 plus cost of paint and all bits.
    In wood 800 plus paint and bits.
    To replace all units and not just the doors - a minimum of 2700.

After much thought I invested in sandpaper, 2 large cans of primer, a mini roller and lots of replacement sponge rollers, lots of disposable gloves and a pack of brushes. I chose Farrow and Ball oil eggshell paint in Dimity, a lovely ivory shade of white and new pewter door handles and knobs.

Well, I am exhausted. It has, as I was warned, taken 3 weeks of solid work but the results are brilliant.

The total cost for all the materials and bits came to 245.00. Sooooo much cheaper than the other options and probably a better quality result as the basic oak units were good.

I am very proud of myself and as the total cost was so low, I went out on Saturday and treated myself to a new Le Crueset kettle and a few new bits for the kitchen.

Before it was dark and dingy but now it seems so light and bright and cheerful. I love being in it.

If anyone is considering doing the same, providing your doors and carcases are sound and you are fully prepared to do lots of preparation work and not underestimate the time taken to do all the caos and all the drying time, I would recommend doing it.

My husband thinks I am a genius
    Thank you for this site Now OH and I are both retired, MSE is a Godsend
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,289Posts Today

6,636Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• RT @MoneySavingExp: If you're affected by the #HSBC payments glitch, here's what you need to do (more to follow, when we get it): http://t.?

• Follow Martin