PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Elderflower Cordial

Options
Didn't know where to put this and as Elderflowers are at their prime and so right now is the time to make it.

20 large heads of elderflower
4lb gran sugar
75g Citric acid (from chemist, health food or wine/beer makers store, you may have to ask as it's sometimes kept under the counter. I think druggies have a use for it)
2 lemons

Remove flowers from green stalks with a pair of scissors into a large bowl.
Place sugar in a pan with 2 pints of water Bring gently up to the boil stirring till sugar is disolved
Pour over elderflowers and stir in citric acid.
Add grated zest of lemons
Then slice lemons and add slices to the bowl.
Cover leave for 24 hrs
Strain through muslin and pour into sterilised bottles.
Store in cool place.

To use dilute to taste with water but very good with gin or fizzy water. Can also be poured over pancakes or used as the bought Belvoir Elderflower cordial.

Another varient of this is Elderflower and Organge Cordial
25 heads of elderflower
1.35 kg of sugar
50g Tartaric acid (cream of tartar)
1 sliced lemon
4 sliced oranges
1.7 litres water

Separate flowers from stalks as above and bring to boil in water in a large pan.
When cooled add all the other ingredients to pan.
leave for 24 hrs
Strain and bottle as above.

The bowl you leave the elderflowers to stand in 24hrs needs to be at least 4 litres or you will have to divide it into two bowls. Also it needs to be acid resistant ie:Stainless steel, glass, pot, not aluminium.
My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs

Comments

• arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can anyone tell me how I identify elderflowers? I like the cordial and would love to try making it but I'm scared incase I pick the wrong thing and poison everyone :o
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    Can anyone tell me how I identify elderflowers? I like the cordial and would love to try making it but I'm scared incase I pick the wrong thing and poison everyone :o
    Squeaky's picture is good, you will also recognise the smell but be a bit careful where you pick them, roadside ones will have picked up traffic fumes
  • arkonite_babe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Now squeaky I'm going to be dense here. Do they grow as a bush or what? There are things like this growing in ditches near me but I'm convinced that they are a similar looking weed thing. That's why I'm scared to pick them. They don't smell anything like the elderflower scent either, or does the scent only come out after you do whatever with it.
  • arkonite_babe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cross posted tycoon and you've answered my query, I think :)
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    The scent comes out when the weather is right, sometimes on a still warm day, and yes, they are a like a weed that grows in hedgerows and ditches. They seed themselves easily so travel around where there is no-one to stop them, if you look how the ones you have seen grow you should see many stems growing from the ground

edit....I just picked some that overhangs our garden, each flower has 5 petals and 5 spikey anthers (?)
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    I should have pointed out that Elder is a hedgerow small tree or bush. So the growth comes from a woody trunk.
    You should check them for fragrance before picking.
    They do vary and some smell a bit like cats pee so avoid those and only pick those that a pleasently fragrent.
    Best picked in full sun, so tomorrow morning should be just right.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    what's the difference between elderflowers, ground elder and cow parsley?

(sorry if it's a silly question - I'm an urban girl, well suburban anyway, but i recognise ground elder all right!! can't get rid of the [..... ]stuff from the garden)
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • ravenlooney
    ravenlooney Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, Can I just check before I poison my family :eek:, are there any poisonous plants that look like elderflower? Im only double checking cos I remember when I was young being told not to pick flowers which look like the ones in Squeakys post cos they were poisonous. Or was that my mum just being paranoid and telling my to pick nothing in case I did pick something dodgy? I think I might have millions of elderflower growing in my untamed garden ...yay :D
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Elder (sambucus nigra) is a shrub that makes about ten feet with a corky bark. Leaves are usually in groups of five, large, dark green and slightly toothed. Flowers are umbrels (umbrella like clusters to you and me) of numerous cream white flowers. (it is suggested that you check flowers for insects but do not wash them as this removes most of the fragrance)

http://caliban.mpiz-koeln.mpg.de/~stueber/lindman/62.jpg

http://www.diplomlandespfleger.de/Bilder/Baum/sambucusnigra.jpg

Ground Elder (aegopodium podagraria) Found in shady places, a hairless perennial forming large patches 30-100cm 12-40in high. Leaves finely toothed in groups of three at the end of leaf stems. Flowers are white umbrels on a creeping hairless stem.

http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/pictures/p01/images/aegopodium-podagraria.jpg

http://www.toyen.uio.no/botanisk/nbf/plantefoto/aegopodium_podagraria_Norman_Hagen01.jpg

Cow Parsley (anthriscus sylvestris) An erect leafy perennial about 1m 3ft high with hollow green furrowed stems hairy near the bottom of the plant and smooth above. Leaves are grass green, slightly downy and much divided resembling wedge shaped ferns. Flowers tiny white in umbrels.

http://www.kulak.ac.be/facult/wet/biologie/pb/kulakbiocampus/lage%20planten/Anthriscus%20sylvestris%20-%20Fluitenkruid/anthriscus%20sylvestris-fluitenkruid-01.jpg

http://www.aphotoflora.com/Anthriscus%20sylvestris%20-%20Cow%20Parsley%20-%2002-05-04.jpg

Parts of each of these are edible in the proper season - though it's easy to confuse Cow Parsley with Fool's Parsley and Hemlock so you should have a good field guide to hand when picking.

Most of these details came from my very handy Collin's Gem version of Food For Free by Richard Mabey
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family