Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > Gas & Electricity: Find the cheapest supplier... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Gas & Electricity: Find the cheapest supplier and earn up to 30 cashback
Views: 571,551
# 1
MSE Archna
Old 26-11-2007, 5:50 PM
Senior Researcher
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Gas & Electricity: Find the cheapest supplier and earn up to 30 cashback

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Gas & Electricity plus Cashback Article

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Read the old thread here

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-03-2014 at 8:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MSE Archna For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
SteveBentley
Old 28-11-2007, 8:02 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Anyone know if the uSwitch wine offer can be combined with Quidco?
# 3
vixon
Old 28-11-2007, 8:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I looked at USwitch and found that Scotish Power would save me a lot on a dual switch plus 7 cashback via Greasy Palm, when I checked Greasy Palm I could earn 50 cashback for going direct to Scotish Power them than using USwitch!!!!! Always check your cashback/point sites for special offers too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vixon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
chandrakant
Old 04-12-2007, 1:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i have gone for S.P> too via greasy palm. how long will it take to receive 50?
if it works it looks very good site for cashback.......finger cross..
thanx for tip....
# 5
Handy Lassie
Old 04-12-2007, 2:01 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Told you so

Last time I posted something on this forum I was ridiculed for suggesting my then new supplier Spark Energy was worth a look at - I noticed them on another discussion board today and apparently they are the cheapest in quite a few regions but they don't appear on all the switching sites. Looks like I was right after all.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Handy Lassie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Flyball
Old 07-12-2007, 1:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I am finding it difficult to get my 30. I went through the web site followed the instructions to the letter but alas, I am still chasing this money. The reason apparently is that my previous provider (Sainsburys Energy) and the provider I was recommended to switch to (Scottish Power - Online tariff) are one and the same, so my post is to tell people to be aware who (the company behind the supermarket front) their supplier is. If I continue to go unrewarded, should I switch again?
# 7
beez30
Old 07-12-2007, 3:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I am also still awaiting my switch money from moneysupermarket. I switched on the 9th August and haven't heard anything from them since the switch confirmation e-mail. Should I now be chasing them up?
# 8
cozzie
Old 08-12-2007, 4:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I too am awaiting my cashback from Moneysupermarket from my change over in August. I have had a rummage on their site, but, cannot find any contact details. Can anyone help pls?
"And crawling on the planet's face,
Some insects called the human race,
Lost in time, and lost in space,
And meaning"
# 9
Terrylw1
Old 08-12-2007, 9:05 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beez30 View Post
I am also still awaiting my switch money from moneysupermarket. I switched on the 9th August and haven't heard anything from them since the switch confirmation e-mail. Should I now be chasing them up?
Yes, it says that it takes 2-3 months for the credit.

However, is the 09/08 date your switch date given to you by your new Supplier? The new Supplier informs them of the completed switch so is their date later by any chance?
It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terrylw1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Terrylw1
Old 08-12-2007, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzie View Post
I too am awaiting my cashback from Moneysupermarket from my change over in August. I have had a rummage on their site, but, cannot find any contact details. Can anyone help pls?

See previous post about the time thing. Here are the contact details:

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/ContactUs/
It's better to live 1 year as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm...but then, whoever heard of a wormskin rug!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Terrylw1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Terrylw1
Old 08-12-2007, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyball View Post
I am finding it difficult to get my 30. I went through the web site followed the instructions to the letter but alas, I am still chasing this money. The reason apparently is that my previous provider (Sainsburys Energy) and the provider I was recommended to switch to (Scottish Power - Online tariff) are one and the same, so my post is to tell people to be aware who (the company behind the supermarket front) their supplier is. If I continue to go unrewarded, should I switch again?
Hi,

SP used to be the energy supplier for Sainsburys Energy. They changed to EDF on 06/09/2006 so what you have been told is incorrect if you joined them after this date.

Here's some info. If you were with Sainsbury Energy before then, I'm afraid you have just done a normal switch so you will lose out on the cashback.

Worth doing a Google search of these shopfront companies just incase in the future. Nothing stopping you switching after a month so if you spot something better with cashback, it may be worth it.

Everyone needs to be careful on MS anyway as they don't let you keep getting this cashback.

http://www.edfenergytrust.org.uk/aboutnews.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Terrylw1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
ribby
Old 12-12-2007, 9:59 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default U-Swtich not got Scottish Power on today....

I've just switched (well asked to be...) and looked at most of the witching sites prior to hitting the button (and looked a couple of weeks ago)

U-Switch do not have Scottish Power on the list today - Who else are they missing?

Switched to SP via energyhelpline.
# 13
paulms
Old 14-12-2007, 5:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrylw1 View Post
Hi,

SP used to be the energy supplier for Sainsburys Energy. They changed to EDF on 06/09/2006 so what you have been told is incorrect if you joined them after this date.

Here's some info. If you were with Sainsbury Energy before then, I'm afraid you have just done a normal switch so you will lose out on the cashback.

Worth doing a Google search of these shopfront companies just incase in the future. Nothing stopping you switching after a month so if you spot something better with cashback, it may be worth it.

Everyone needs to be careful on MS anyway as they don't let you keep getting this cashback.

http://www.edfenergytrust.org.uk/aboutnews.html

For Flyball

Terrylw1 is correct in saying that Sainsburys Energy is now supplied by EDF Energy but on the basis of your post there does not appear to be any reason why you should not receive your cashback from Moneysupermarket.
If you email me paul.schofield@,moneysupermarket.com and can tell me when you applied I will be pleased to investigate.
The Following User Says Thank You to paulms For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
danthemoneysavingman
Old 18-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Time to get capped rate deal?

Considering the recent announcements of "difficult trading conditions" and hikes in tracker rates at BG & nPower, it suggested to me that this would well be the way forward. Switching to Southern was actually 4 (wow) a year cheaper, only c.25 more per year than the cheapest dual fuel, got me 30 cashback and guards me against price hikes (that appear inevitable) in the next 12 months.
Just my opinion of course
# 15
feefee
Old 29-12-2007, 1:36 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default spark

has any one either using spark or has any info think they might be cheaper than scottish power who has made a mess of my account so would like to change supplier as i have no trust in scottish power
Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
The Following User Says Thank You to feefee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
poppy10
Old 04-01-2008, 6:06 PM

The nPower figures are negative when they should be positive - they just put their prices UP, not down. Get your red ink out, MSE Martin.
The Following User Says Thank You to poppy10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
allybee13
Old 06-01-2008, 11:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy10 View Post
The nPower figures are negative when they should be positive - they just put their prices UP, not down. Get your red ink out, MSE Martin.
I wondered about that too - I thought it was just me being silly ...

I was on Gas Guardian 2008 so it looks like I am in for a substantial hike in cost if I stay with npower. No point in switching until the rest get their announcements out.

I'm fed up with npower because I paid out over 900 and only used 750 in fuel over the past year. I've had money back off them every single year for the past 4 years because they won't reduce my monthly payments enough.
Debt Free since Feb 2007
# 18
fusty
Old 11-01-2008, 4:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just a quick 'Thank You', changed Elec & Gas supplier following advice on this site, just received my cashback cheque, brilliant!!
cheers

# 19
londoncarl
Old 16-01-2008, 9:54 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Anyone else had problems with Scottish Power, arranged a dual fuel switch and they only took my gas. Now stuck in limbo with both fuels in different places and no duel fuel discount with either supplier. Not helping is Scottish Power customer service which is dreadful.
# 20
mud7dan
Old 21-01-2008, 10:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

ive never moved! price two bills 840 price. bg 35 and edf 35month.im nervous of how to change? should i now or wait?
The Following User Says Thank You to mud7dan For This Useful Post: Show me >>