Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > NEW MOT checks on number plates (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
NEW MOT checks on number plates
Closed Thread
Views: 13,913
# 1
Wig
Old 30-10-2007, 5:34 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default NEW MOT checks on number plates

STOP PRESS:
There has been an almighty legal gaff somewhere, all MOT stations have been informed not to fail any more number plates since 17th November until further notice. Something about not having the new MOT regs ratified by parliament. If you have had an MOT failure solely down to numberplates - since Oct 1st - you could possibly reclaim your costs. Not sure who you can claim against, the MOT tester (it wasn't their fault) or VOSA directly (it was their fault).

Before you MOT your car, make sure you are aware of the requirements for Number plates.

For cars registered after Sept 1st 2001 Your plate must have

* The new font (79mm high) there are a few excepions motorbikes and some imported cars.

* The name and postcode of the plate supplier

* It must say "BS AU 145d" on it bottom right corner (not neccessarily bottom right but that's where it usually is) - It must also have next to this a small company name or logo (it is the name of the manufacturer of the plate) There are many different types,
mine say HHSP BS AU 145d. The HHSP bit is the manufacturer.
Other examples
"Gould BS AU 145d"
"UP
BS AU 145d" etc etc etc

* For the new longer plates with a space on the left for the EU flag symbol, the space can be blank but it must not have anything else there except 1 of the following:
Union flag (commonly known as the Union Jack)
Scottish flag (saltaire)
English flag (george cross)
Welsh flag (dragon)
Euro union flag and "GB" symbol

Any other symbol in that space will fail the MOT, the letters must be black on a yellow (reflective) background for the rear...some plates have a large ford logo on the background (for show use only) this will fail MOT.

Some Halfords plates have the halfords details and BSAU145d written in white text on the front white plates, as long as it can be seen and read it should pass.

Cars registered from 1973 - 2001 can have either old style plates with no BSAU 145d mark & 89mm high font, or newly issued plates which must be as described above with new font.

Cars before 1973 can have those very old style plates or new style i.e a choice of 3 styles.

Last edited by Wig; 26-11-2007 at 8:00 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Christa1
Old 31-10-2007, 1:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The fact is I don't think if people know this they care. I have seen some incredibly dodgy number plates, I don't know if the police ever pull anyone over this. A car passed me the other day with an obviously invalid plate, yet the police car in front of me didn't go shooting off after him. I think despite this people will still continue with the illegal plates and run the risk. Many people put the 'correct' plates back on for MOT's anyway.
# 3
oldagetraveller
Old 31-10-2007, 2:32 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I'm sure many people know the regulations Wig, and ignore them because they know the plods don't give a toss and they can just fit legal plates for the MOT and then revert back to the vanity/tosser plates.
The Conservative Party is a bit like double cream. Rich, thick and full of clots!
# 4
Wig
Old 31-10-2007, 3:21 PM

My post is not aimed at the tossers who swap plates for an MOT. It is aimed at all the people who THINK they have a correct plate on their car but DON'T.

And all those who have slightly twatty plates who have never had an MOT failure by leaving the plate on the car for the MOT - the MOT checks have now changed to include the number plate is complying with BSAU 145d.

People with new cars less than 3 yrs old are failing on the number plates because they do not comply. If anyone has any sense they will check their plates comply before having an MOT done.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Wig
Old 31-10-2007, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Mac View Post
If you buy a new car, why would you check the plates? I'd assume it was valid.
Exactly my point, people assume just because they have had a new car from new that their plates are valid.

"family fortunes error sound"

Not so, you had all better check your plates conform to the new rules if your car was first registered on or after 1st September 2001.

Last edited by Wig; 31-10-2007 at 3:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
exel1966
Old 31-10-2007, 3:38 PM

Why should the police give a toss ? They should be catching criminals, not those who have a letter a couple of inches too small on a number plate or a letter not far enough apart from another.

The Govt (DVLA) sell personalised number plates making millions per year for the coffers. They even increase the prices for those registrations which have letters/numbers which could be miscontrued as something else. Then they tell us its illegal to do that !!! Another way to rip the motorist off and then persecute/prosecute them !!

This is the kind of bureaucratic nonsense that is driving this country to the wall along with barmy Health ? and Safety ? Regulations and the need to be overly politically correct in case some minority might be offended.

PS. My number plate is the bog standard regular which came with the car when new. If it's not legal then maybe I should sue the dealer for selling me an unroadworthy/illegal car ?

Last edited by exel1966; 31-10-2007 at 3:40 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to exel1966 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Wig
Old 31-10-2007, 3:55 PM

No, I'm saying some cars were sold to customers with illegal plates. It has only become an issue now because only from October 1st 2007 it has become part of the MOT test to check the plates comply with BSAU 145d (which has been in force since sept 1st 2001.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Wig
Old 31-10-2007, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exel1966 View Post
PS. My number plate is the bog standard regular which came with the car when new. If it's not legal then maybe I should sue the dealer for selling me an unroadworthy/illegal car ?
It would be wise to check it before an MOT, and if it's not correct, then maybe you should tell the dealer to correct the fault, but doing it before an MOT would be better than wiating until it fails.
# 9
Inactive
Old 31-10-2007, 4:12 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The whole MOT has become a farce, it was OK when it was about safety, now it is just another ploy to get cars off of our increasingly overcrowded roads, which never seem to get upgraded.:rolleyes:
# 10
movilogo
Old 31-10-2007, 4:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My car's number plate doesn't feature these new symbols!

But mine is a 2006 model. That means till 2009 (its first MOT), I don't need to bother about it. Right?

People aren't expected to know this until they go for MOT.
# 11
Wig
Old 31-10-2007, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movilogo View Post
My car's number plate doesn't feature these new symbols!

But mine is a 2006 model. That means till 2009 (its first MOT), I don't need to bother about it. Right?

People aren't expected to know this until they go for MOT.
Your plate is likely to be accurate in all respects but does it have these two things?

1. The suppliers name and postcode usually a car dealers name on a new car.
2. It must say "BS AU 145d" And next to this the name of the manufacturer (of the plate see OP) somewhere, usually bottom right.

Your best course of action depends who sold you the car,
Bought new? Yes - go and complain, now.

Bought used from a car retailer, go and complain - now.

Bought at auction or bought privately, sometime between now and 3 years old get your plates changed.

Last edited by Wig; 02-11-2007 at 5:15 PM.
# 12
maple41
Old 01-11-2007, 11:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

We got caught out with this when the car went in on the 27th September 2007 to the same garage that has done the MOT for the past 2 years with the same number plates that have been used for years and transfered from prevous cars and have passsed before - they are not misspaced by the way just personal plates. Garage had the cheek to say needed new plates, at 35! Discovered afterwards that they were jumping the gun by 3 days and that the new plates that they fitted were missized on 2 of the characters and space by 1mm. Made them provide a further set of new plates and refund the cost of replacements. So do check!
Moneysaving is get a set of new plates off Ebay first.
The Following User Says Thank You to maple41 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Wig
Old 02-11-2007, 5:13 PM

I just added something I missed from the OP, next to the BSAU 145d bit there has to be some other Identifier of the plate manufacturer, a small name or a few initials.

My car passed MOT today
# 14
goldspanners
Old 03-11-2007, 11:02 AM

this is a farce,the mot is meant to be there to make sure your car is in a road worthy condition,just because your plate doesnt display a british standard or a postcode it is deemed unroardworthy.
my car failed on plates in march (due to incorrect spacing) so i asked if i could put on the originals (which were cracked) and he said they were ok and it passed with cracked plates.
...work permit granted!
# 15
honest guv
Old 06-11-2007, 5:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

My car has also failed today for not complying with BS AU 145d although the numbers / spacing etc is all fine, and the garage has passed them for the last 2 years. I haven't heard anything about the law changing in October, so was pretty surprised and p*ssed off. Thought they were trying it on till I found this thread.
It's a personalised number plate made by Halfords in 2003.
Should they have known that they would fail the MOT now, and do I have any recourse to get them to replace the plates?
The garage has quoted 25 for new plates to pass the MOT - is that reasonable?
# 16
Inactive
Old 07-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The thing about this change is the fact that the DVLA seem to have only passed the information on to MOT Stations, and not us, the poor old gullible public, surely they could have included this advice in with their Road Fund Licence reminders.

It is the DVLA themselves that live off of the cream of personal number plates, selling them in the full knowledge that they make up desirable words/names.
# 17
arnie&caseysma!
Old 07-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My local force is running an ongoing operation regarding number plates where characters have been mis-spaced/altered by design to say something else and displaying fancy fonts. This has resulted in them applying to DVLA to revoke private registrations on quite a few vehicles after both a written warning to the registered keeper and then a ticket if they didnt change it in 14 days.
Everyone knows there is a standard font out there but some folk are too smart for the law.....but it is only a matter of time.

BTW - I have a private plate that does say part of my name but it is perfectly legal!!!
"Life may not always be the party you wish for, but whilst here you may aswell dance"!!!
Murphy's NMPC Memb No 239!
Dippychick's De-clutter club Member No 6! - onto room no 2!
My Avatar? Arnie and Casey, proud parents to Storm and Tsu born 19/01/2009!!! - both now in new homes and called Murron and Burger!
# 18
roddydogs
Old 07-11-2007, 7:26 AM

Another Farce aimed at "Honest" motorists-what about all the illeagle plates out there that just get swapped over when the MOT is due-you see them every time you go on the road.
# 19
Wig
Old 07-11-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honest guv View Post
My car has also failed today for not complying with BS AU 145d although the numbers / spacing etc is all fine, and the garage has passed them for the last 2 years. I haven't heard anything about the law changing in October, so was pretty surprised and p*ssed off. Thought they were trying it on till I found this thread.
It's a personalised number plate made by Halfords in 2003.
Should they have known that they would fail the MOT now, and do I have any recourse to get them to replace the plates?
The garage has quoted £25 for new plates to pass the MOT - is that reasonable?
Sorry I didn't spend much time in MSE yesterday, missed your post.

Are you sure the Halfords plates are not legal? What have they specifically failed on? Because if you read the OP I do mention that Halfords plates have the information written in white text, on the rear it stands out ok, on the front you have to look closely to see it read it, but it is there and should not fail.

If they are genuinely wrong, then in answer to your question, yes, when halfords sold you the plates they were illegal and not suitable for road use, they should have known, the regulations have been in force since March 2001 and Sept 2001 (different bits of the regulations came into force at the 2 different dates).

If I were you I'd take the plates back to Halfords and ask for free replacements.

A couple of posts above since my last post have said something along the lines of "We weren't told of these new regulations/laws" "my car passed last year etc".

The point is the laws came into force in Sept 2001.
The MOT was required to check they complied with the laws only from October 2007.

You will only get a free retest today, so hope you read this, before going to Halfords to get new plates.

£25 for new plates.... That's roughly what Halfords will charge, but Halfords use good quality plates, The MOT station might use cheap nasty plates (which fail after 2 - 3 years), Other places like motor factors would sell you a set for around £16. You can always use the cheap plates just for the MOT, changing them before and after, thus keping them in good condition.

Last edited by Wig; 07-11-2007 at 10:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
honest guv
Old 07-11-2007, 12:46 PM
MoneySaving Convert

thanks for the reply Wig. Unfortunately we've got 2 small kids, and my wife needed the car today, so we've gone with the new garage plates. They only ended up being 15 + VAT, but I haven't seen the quality yet.
I think my point, and that of others, is the lack of information. I had no idea about the law change, and initially thought the garage was trying it on.
Not that it would have made a difference - I still would have needed new plates - but knowing about it beforehand would have prepared me.
Closed Thread