Options
13»

Comments

• dopester
    dopester Posts: 4,890 Forumite
    Options
    Wig wrote: »

* The name and postcode of the plate supplier

* It must say "BS AU 145d" on it bottom right corner (not neccessarily bottom right but that's where it usually is) - It must also have next to this a small company name or logo (it is the name of the manufacturer of the plate)

Wish I'd seen this back in mid-Oct (last month) when I took car in for MOT.

My 2002 car failed on one item = both registration plates didn't have the BSAU145d info/symbol on it. Annoying tbh cause it's not like I've chavved the plates up, being the same as when I bought it brand new in 2002.

You're right about Halfords plates too... the ones they showed me had the name/postcode BSAU145d stuff embossed in hard to read white text, so I declined to buy. And anyway I got new plates made up at half the price of Halfords from the dealer (about £16 for front and rear), although flimsier material than the Halfords rigid ones.
  • stamford
    stamford Posts: 5,175 Forumite
    Options
    dopester wrote: »
    cause it's not like I've chavved the plates up, being the same as when I bought it brand new in 2002.

:T :T :T Great phrase :D
  • the_big_fact_hunt
    Options
    this is good in the respect that people with plates that do not read as they should i.e. altering letters and numbers to change the appearance to read as a word etc will have to replace them, but bad for those who only have a minor discrepency i.e. incorrect spacing or font size. i have made my own which would be illegal on a newer vehicle as the spacing will be wrong because i did not measure it out, but my plates are perfectly readable and are spaced normally, they just have small printed quotes and adverts at the top and bottom which do not interfere with the reading of the registration
    :A R.I.P. Dave "Simmo" Stimpson.....:A
    A friend, A Gentleman, and a Damn good pool player.
    You will be missed
    one in prison, not long enough
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    STOP PRESS:
    There has been an almighty legal gaff somewhere, all MOT stations have been informed not to fail any more number plates since 17th November until further notice. Something about not having the new MOT regs ratified by parliament. If you have had an MOT failure solely down to numberplates you could possibly reclaim your costs. Not sure who you can claim against, the MOT tester (it wasn't their fault) or VOSA directly (it was their fault).

Why hasn't the BBC reported this?
  • dopester
    dopester Posts: 4,890 Forumite
    Options
    Very interesting.... please keep us informed Wig.

I'd heard about it but had imagined it was VOSA just putting a temporary hold on it cause of maybe a technical glitch with MOT computers/database with the new regs.

Your version sounds quite fascinating. [seriously - I mean if it's true... then it's pretty major for VOSA to say my car had to be failed on it's plates if they do not have legal clearances for their new regulations regarding plates.... I know it really caused me a lot of hassle as it was the only item my car failed on. I kept the first form "refusal of an MOT certificate" showing my car failed only on it's plates]
  • peter999
    peter999 Posts: 7,097 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has this country gone mad ??

MOTs now nit-picking on numberplates.

peter999
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You need to ask?
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    Probably lost the information discs relating to the legislation.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure