Sodexo filmology data breach

Hi All

I have been a victim of attempted fraud on my bank account through my employers cinema discount scheme. I had found out there had been attempted fraud on my bank account from my bank and it was not until 3 weeks later that I found out the data breach involved use of the Filmology website. There were 3 attempts at fraud on my account which my bank successfully blocked so although there was no financial loss to me, it has involved a lot of distress, inconvenience and having to obtain a new bank card.
After speaking to Filmology to ask exactly what had happened, I was informed that my bank details were stolen from the payment page and that the incident has been reported to the ICO. The hack on the payment page was carried out over 2 months and involved many accounts.
Although I have not suffered financial loss, I strongly feel that compensation should be paid for the distress caused. I contacted the chief executive of Sodexo by email and have not heard anything back from him which I think is a disgusting attitude to take from a serious data breach.
So has anybody been successful in claiming compensation in these circumstances? Or will I need to take this to a small claims court?

Comments

• -chris-
    -chris- Posts: 373
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    anewhope wrote: »
    In your opinion, what is going to be acceptable compensation?

Couple of free tickets sounds about what I'd expect..

I was personally thinking of £50-£100 for the distress and inconvenience caused. Considering the fact that the frandsters had all my card details and were attempting to make fraudulent transactions online!
    This happened to 7 other colleagues that I know of, it was only thanks to my bank that the transactions were declined. Perhaps I'm over exaggerating but I think that's serious.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    I'd add and extra 0 on the end and stick it to them.
    If every time a company go a data breach everyone affected stuffed them this sort of bill then I'd reckon the attention data security got in the boardroom would increase markedly.

Solicitors charge £250/hour and lawyers twice that so sounds reasonable to me for time and effort etc.
    Hardly worth getting out of bed for £50.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    Was your account password the same as your email password? If so I would change your email password too, and pronto.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    You can't claim compensation for distress or inconvenience unfortunately.

Compensation is claimed to put the victim back in the same financial state as before the incident.
    In this case you have suffered no financial loss so no compensation can be claimed.

You are best on the consumer rights board regarding this as it is not a tech question
  • -/chris-/ wrote: »
    it has involved a lot of distress, inconvenience and having to obtain a new bank card.

Although I have not suffered financial loss, I strongly feel that compensation should be paid for the distress caused.

Over 500 people have died in Syria last week

17 students were shot in school in the US 2 weeks ago

but no, YOU had to get a new bank card at no loss to yourself...you poor poor soul...
  • Go to the Have I been pwned website and look at the data breaches there - leaks are a regular thing. The Equifax one was huge, the Talk Talk one resulted in crooks using social engineering to trick people out of their money by using leaked personal details (according to R4 Moneybox). The firms often get fined by the ICO (and this will be firmed up in the GDPR) but consumers don't see any reward.

This issue isn't going to go away - but I don't see things improving much for the consumer.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    AndyPix wrote: »
    You can't claim compensation for distress or inconvenience unfortunately.

The world is changing and people have had enough
    Consumer wins £2K from B.Gas for wasting his time.
    see:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/7914426/British-Gas-customer-wins-2000-payment-for-wasted-time.html

Also
    Consumer stuffs Sky for £1500 for messing him around
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3091022/Man-wins-1-500-payout-Sky-BILLING-25-hour-time-wasted-two-YEARS-trying-service-cancelled.html

and
    Another won £3000 for being incorrectly billed
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2710809/David-beats-Goliath-Man-wins-3-000-payout-energy-giant-wouldn-t-stop-harassing-bills-didn-t-owe.html

All these are court awarded compensations for inconvenience.
  • -/chris-/ wrote: »
    Hi All

I have been a victim of attempted fraud on my bank account through my employers cinema discount scheme. I had found out there had been attempted fraud on my bank account from my bank and it was not until 3 weeks later that I found out the data breach involved use of the Filmology website. There were 3 attempts at fraud on my account which my bank successfully blocked so although there was no financial loss to me, it has involved a lot of distress, inconvenience and having to obtain a new bank card.
    After speaking to Filmology to ask exactly what had happened, I was informed that my bank details were stolen from the payment page and that the incident has been reported to the ICO. The hack on the payment page was carried out over 2 months and involved many accounts.
    Although I have not suffered financial loss, I strongly feel that compensation should be paid for the distress caused. I contacted the chief executive of Sodexo by email and have not heard anything back from him which I think is a disgusting attitude to take from a serious data breach.
    So has anybody been successful in claiming compensation in these circumstances? Or will I need to take this to a small claims court?
    Question Prior to getting a new bank card, did you know about the issue?

If no, there is your answer.

If yes, I would be demanding the earth!

Meanwhile I'm off out in the sunny weather here out of sight in GlawstirShire, to check my neighbour has enough bread, I think it may snow!
  • -chris-
    Forumite
    And the award for the most pointless post of the year goes to......pmartin86 :T
  • -chris-
    Forumite
    @Blackbeard of Perranporth - the only reason I got a new bank was because my account at the time had been compromised from the payment booking page. I didn't know about the issue at the time of making a purchase at Filmology, it only became apparent a few weeks later when I fraud on my account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure