My Over 50's Spending Diary

Options

Comments

• sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maman, I have been using Woolite Extra Dark for so many years and it not only keeps clothes and jjeans from fading, but you do not get bobbling and the material of your clothing stays in really good condition even years later. As I tumble dry my clothes and my son's jeans, they then will not need ironing. :j I am not a fan of ironing ;)

I do find that Boots is not usually the least expensive place to buy from unless I am buying my fish oils, my vitamins and my Boots Tea Tree and Witchazel products. I do try to remember to use any money off coupons and extra points coupons when I do shop in a Boots store or online with Boots. I do not find Superdrug very competively priced either as I can get so many of the items they sell cheaper in Poundland or Savers unless the items are greatly reduced in price in Superdrug.

It is quick and easy to compare prices on My Supermarket to try to find the best prices for toiletries, household goods and other grocery items.
  • sugarbaby125
    edited 4 February 2018 at 7:08PM
    Options
    I got 6 Artisan large individual cakes, a loaf of wholemeal bread (uncut), a fresh fruit salad and a meal of koftas, cous cous and spiced pureed pumpkin free at the end of the Poetry group I went to on Friday for which I will claim a modest £15 :T

£8.10 Quidco Cashback :D

Poundland Bargains:

22 X Woolite Extra Dark 750ml for £44 saving me £33 compared to buying this product from Wilko online (I had to take a couple of trips to carry these home) :T

A hardback book for myself saved me £11.99 :D

3 X A5 Notebooks half price saved me £1.50 :)

4 X Lavender Epsom Salts for £4 saving me £6 compared to the next cheapest price I could find which was £2.50 :D

1 pair of Diamante & pink framed reading glasses for myself saved me 99p compared to a similar pair in Savers (without the diamante)

A Black Nylon Fish Slice saved me 99p compared to an almost identical one in a local hardware shop

Current total = £1957.62
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Since we're on the Over 50s board and some of you are talking about Boots, it's worth mentioning 'More Treats for Over 60s' - I was given 25% discount on glasses after the optician simply checked my age, but I've now signed up for it properly.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    I had 2 half pint cups of soda water with ice and a slice on my night out at The Ritzy for free, which saved me having to buy bottles of sparkling water which would have cost me £3.20

3 hopper bus journeys £2.25 (27th Jan)

Current total = £1963.07
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sugar I bought two bottles of the woolite today from the pound shop. It’s not a product I’ve ever used before, but you obviously know your stuff when it comes to laundry, so I thought I’d give it a go.

When my black jeans start to fade, I use dylon washing machine dye to top up the colour. The bobbling also drives me mad, so hopefully the woolite will help.
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Hi Chanie,

Once I discovered Woolite about 10 years ago, I have never looked back. It does cost me a considerable amount over each year, but it does such a fantastic job, I can gently wash dry clean only clothes in my washing machine with Woolite then tumble dry them on the low setting and they come out looking great. Also I do not have to put up with that dry cleaning smell. It saves me money because dry cleaning is expensive. and because of Woolite I very rarely have to dry clean anything.

I also use the pink hand wash Woolite for mixed coloured washes. It stops colour fade, colour run and I do not get bobbling on coloured clothes.
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    I have just realised today how stupid I have been about recording my Council Tax Support I received for 2017/ 2018 :o

I got £210 40 NOT the £899.83 I recorded, so I have to take off the difference of £689.43 off my current total

I put down the amount of money I had paid for Council Tax instead of the amount of Council Tax support I had received for the year. I was having a very senior moment or it was extremely wishful thinking! :rotfl:

My Adjusted Current total = £1963.07 - £689.43 = £1273.64
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oh, poop. But your savings are still over £1000 and we are only 1 month into 2018, so you are still doing really well.
  • sugarbaby125
    edited 30 January 2018 at 5:25PM
    Options
    I was bought a bottle of water at the wine bar on Sunday £1

I got a special offer ticket to see The Brothers Size at The Young Vic yesterday for £10 which saved me £40 :T (It is an absolutely brilliant play and the actors are superb. I highly recommend this play 10/10 from me)

Free Metro newspaper that I picked up on the bus on my way to the theatre 20p

£15 Quidco Cashback :T

1 hopper bus journey 75p (28th Jan) and 2 hopper bus journeys £1.50 (29th Jan)

Poundland Bargains:

6 X Woolite Delicates and 6 X Woolite Extra Dark for £24 which saved me £18 :T

6 X 6 tracker bars for £6 which saved me £5.94 compared to buying this product from any of the supermarkets :D

2 X paperback books for myself for £2 which saved me £16.98 :T

Patak's Pilau rice for 50p which saved me 50p, I am hoping that this brand will taste better than the Tesco brand I usually buy, as it is now half price which makes it cheaper than the Tesco brand. I just bought the 1 pack to try it with my children

I bought 2 Birds Eye Chicken Burgers in Iceland for 95p as they are currently on special offer so I saved 55p on the usual price

6 X McCoys Flame Grilled Steak Crisps from Morrisons for £1 which saved me 70p as they are currently on offer

I picked up a Free Evening Standard newspaper from the rack in Morrisons 20p

Current total = £1368.96
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    My son repaid the money I loaned him 2 weeks ago plus he gave me an extra £20 :T

Poundland Bargains:

Fairy Clean & Care Aloe Vera washing up liquid £1 which saved me £2 compared to buying the equivalent size in Tesco with my grocery shop :)

5 X Woolite Extra Dark 750ml £10 saving me £7.50 :)

2 X Melamine trays £2 saving me £1.98 compared to buying similar trays in a local shop :)

Current total = £1400.44

My ESA has been awarded again and I have received the 1st payment in arrears for the 2 weeks prior, thank goodness :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback