Options

Comments

• Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 1 February 2018 at 9:38AM
    Options
    Morning from a very tired Moo!
    I spent the evening with my diary, and a bit of Kiri on TV. While writing the diary I was looking at the budget for February, and doing some forward cashflow figures. I must be able to pay myself £450 this month coming or I will run out of money before the month is over! It is as simple as that.
    In the business I have gone well into overdraft today, paying the months rent. It is going to be a struggle unless I get the money coming in faster.
    I am going to have to be more productive each day, and get the work in done a little faster, and I am going to have to try and sell more machines, and stock to up the anti.
    I may even have to cut Biggests hours. I am not going to be happy with that, as she has been making a good different to the Shop sales. But the forward cashflow is skin of the teeth, and I cannot see another way to reduce outgoings other than that. I have not managed to pay myself for a couple of weeks. January cashflow is always iffy. I have not quite managed to save enough yet.
    Some serious juggling, sales campaigns and pushes for lessons to be signed up for is necessary.
    I have to focus on the business and not on family problems. Or I Will not have a business to sell eventually!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    Miracles required now!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Oh dear.
    Is it maybe time to revisit what you are doing shop wise?
    Only paying yourself 450 a month must be way under the minimum wage.
    Is it really worth all the stress?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Oh dear.
    Is it maybe time to revisit what you are doing shop wise?
    Only paying yourself 450 a month must be way under the minimum wage.
    Is it really worth all the stress?

The way I feel today? Nope!
    I would love to pay myself minimum wage!
  • Little_Miss_Winner
    Options
    Sending Hugs.
    January is always despressing at the best of times.. try and stick with it if you can. February already ..
    Spring and Summer hopefully around the corner!
    Hugs xx
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    I spent all evening on the laptop updating the accounts.
    I looked at the sales sheets etc and as soon as I get more ink for the computers I will change some layouts etc.
    Normally we just write the sales down and we tot up the sheets at the end of the month. I noticed that there is a discrepancy between the money banked and the list, luckily we are banking a little more than the list, so I think we are forgetting to fill out the list when we are busy.
    So I think to bring back the focus I am going to cash up daily. Then we can
    see the discrepancy at the time.
    I want my sales sheets to be more accurate.
    The sales of Habadashery are going up, the alterations are around the same as last January. But my outgoings are much higher, hence the cashflow problem. I am going to have to find ways to even things out.
    BF actually cooked the stir fry I had put out for dinner! He rarely ever cooks in my house but he could see I was busy. Bonus. He coughed and snuffled through the evening but wouldn’t take any colds and flu medication- he would rather suffer with it because too many tablets make you immune he said. Think that’s antibiotics but personally I am happier feeling better and functioning thank you very much.
    Dgd is still not well and went to bed before tea! So this morning when I wake her in a minute I think we may have the decision about School versus the bed at work!!
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    Yep Dgd is unwell now. So no school and coming into work with me today.
    She’s very flushed, full of the cold and the shivers etc. We have at least got the heating upstairs fixed. There is a futon bed and covers, so hopefully she will sleep. Lemsip at the ready...
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    With your daughter in the shop are you more geared up to getting money up front now Mooloo?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• MankyVegSoup
    Options
    Hi Mooloo

I've been lurking on your threads for a while and so admire your determination. I'm also self employed so know how hard it can be - especially in the slow months.

If your expenses have gone up and you've trimmed them as far as you can, then realistically the only option left is to increase prices. When was the last time you upped them? It doesn't have to be much but 20-50p per item could make a difference to your profit (and I bet your customers will hardly notice).

Do make sure you're not under-selling yourself.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My suggestion may be far too simplistic to be effective, Mooloo - but when you price up a job, do you charge labour at £7.50 per hour, or £15.00-£18.75 per hour?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure