Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > Market research.. official MoneySavingExpert.com ... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Market research.. official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion
Views: 69,195
# 1
MSE Lawrence
Old 15-10-2007, 3:14 PM
Researcher
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Market research.. official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

This is a special discussion as part of the

article, all about

Traditional market research

which is part of the Get paid for your opinion section

Please feel free to add your comments, suggestions or questions

Just click reply

Last edited by MSE Lawrence; 16-10-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to MSE Lawrence For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Maddie
Old 16-10-2007, 7:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have a friend who works for a market research company, would she be allowed to give details of work available here, or is that classed as advertising?
Proud to be a moneysaver!
# 3
poundfoolish
Old 24-10-2007, 3:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default market research

struggling to make money from market research sites. making lots of 'points' - apparently will need a lot more before i can redeem them - then it is against stuff i don't want/need not cash! any tips?

Last edited by poundfoolish; 24-10-2007 at 3:54 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes
# 4
lolarentt
Old 24-10-2007, 4:03 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Many years ago I worked for a number of Market Research companies part/spare time, including the original Gallup Poll. The work varied from "who would you vote for" surveys, to consumer products, and included trips abroad (surveys for ABTA), newspaper and magazine readership awareness and all sorts of interesting stuff. Does anyone know of any companies now that take on part time interviewers for this sort of work. The companies I knew I think are all long gone now.
# 5
london_fox
Old 24-10-2007, 10:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

hi all

I am considering signing up for some of these online survey things. One of them states that there is a 'registration fee'. Is this a scam or is it legit? Also are these a viable way of making some extra cash? I desperately want to get rid of some of my debt.

If the surveys are not the way to go, has anyone got any tips for way of making some extra cash?
# 6
ItsOnlyMe
Old 25-10-2007, 1:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by london_fox View Post
hi all

I am considering signing up for some of these online survey things. One of them states that there is a 'registration fee'. Is this a scam or is it legit? Also are these a viable way of making some extra cash? I desperately want to get rid of some of my debt.

If the surveys are not the way to go, has anyone got any tips for way of making some extra cash?
Personally I would never sign up for something like that. No way should you have to pay to work for them.
# 7
milkfloatquack
Old 25-10-2007, 1:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Globaltestmarket pays by cheque, a few others offer the option of paypal payments. But I would look at it more as a way of funding presents/treats for yourself/stuff you could buy with vouchers then put on ebay than as a good cash earner. DON'T get involved with anyone who asks you to pay a registration fee - there are loads and loads of reputable market research companies that don't charge you, it's not a normal requirement.
# 8
Miss dionne
Old 31-10-2007, 9:12 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Lightbulb How Do I Start?

Hi i'm new here, How do you start making money?
What do i have to do?
# 9
homeworkeruk
Old 31-10-2007, 9:12 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Don't ever pay for information. There are free sites like http://www.whichsurveys.com where you'll find a long list of survey companies. I think they've got 4 pages just on UK surveys.
The Following User Says Thank You to homeworkeruk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Miss dionne
Old 31-10-2007, 9:14 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

So if you go on them links you start making money stright away?
# 11
homeworkeruk
Old 31-10-2007, 10:07 AM
MoneySaving Convert

You won't be getting a cheque in the post tomorrow but if you sign up today you could start receiving survey invitations almost immediately. Some companies pay at the end of each survey eg Pinecone Research (4 in LVs) and ACOP (usually 3 cash) but most require you to reach a minimum amount at which point you can request payment. This can be as low as 5 or 10 but is sometimes as high as 50, and is sometimes in gift vouchers (you can usually choose from a range). Although 50 might seem high, the ones with the higher limits eg Yougov and GTM are among the most active so it doesn't take too long and in fact both of these have a referral program as well so you earn extra when you tell your friends about the sites. (You might need to doublecheck with Yougov as they've jut revamped their site and might have changed this)
# 12
lynnechapman
Old 16-01-2008, 9:27 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Interested in taking part in focus groups?

In Martin's article, he says:
"Focus-group based market research can pay between 30 and 50 for a couple of hours of talking. To get started in it, look up local agencies in the Yellow Pages, or try Saros Research online"

This isn't really accurate. Focus groups are recruited by people like me and you won't find us in the Yellow Pages. It tends to be done via networking and word of mouth. We always need more people and anyway that we can spread the word would be great.
I have been recruiting market research group discussions for 23 years in the Nottingham area. I also have extensive contacts with other recruiters around the UK. If anyone is interested in putting their name forward to attend groups, I could pass names on to people in the relevant areas.
I am also having a web site written which will inform and educate people about what market research is and how they can get involved. It will have a facility for people who are interested to be put in touch with someone in their locality who might be able to use them.
Typically a standard discussion lasts one and a half hours and people receive around 35 for attending. They can be longer or shorter and payment varies according to the difficulty of getting the group together. For instance, I am currently having to get together a group of 10 carpenters/joiners who use nail guns regularly and for that they wiil receive 60 for a 2 hour discussion.
Groups tend to take place in home (usually mine) or hotels or in special research studios.
Everything we do is governed by the rules of the Market Research Society which ensures your privacy and reassures you that it is all above board.
If you'd like any more information, do PM me.
Lynne Chapman
Considered Response
Nottingham

Last edited by lynnechapman; 16-01-2008 at 9:28 AM. Reason: Enable e-mail notification
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lynnechapman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
homeworkeruk
Old 16-01-2008, 11:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Following on from Lynne's comments above, I'd just like to add that if you are in or near London you can register online with focus groups like http://www.focus4people.com/ or http://www.fhios-uxd.com/ which tend to pay 50 for 2 hour discussions. They do also have assignments outside London but not the same volume.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to homeworkeruk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
gingernuts
Old 05-02-2008, 10:58 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I'm new to this earn a bit of pocket money situ.. I'd like to register on one of these websites for market research but don't like the thought of giving them my address and some personal details (i'm a bit too careful!). Has anyone registered on these sites and found no problem with the security aspects of research companies with personel info?? would love to know before embarking on this venture..
# 15
silvercar
Old 05-02-2008, 2:23 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I've registered with Saros and had no problem. Recently taken part in 2 researches. I think you need to accept that you have to give them some information so that they will know what research to offer you. They are bound by the market research society code of conduct, so aren't likely to misuse the information you give them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silvercar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
homeworkeruk
Old 05-02-2008, 2:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just received the following. It won't apply to most of you but if you're interested contact Fhios for more information.

fhios has been contracted by an energy provider to conduct some research in order to help improve their website and would like to invite people aged 25-60 years old, who are small business owners and who are responsible for administering the payment of electricity bills to take part. We are looking for people who own one of the following

- professional organisations such as : solicitors, architects, etc
- pub restaurant
- fish and chip shop
- hotel and breakfast
- beauty/hair salon.

Everyone who participates will receive £50, which will be paid in cash at the end of the interview, for their time and expenses.

The research consists of attending an interview that lasts no more than 2 hours in our research facility in central London (The Media Center, 3-8 Carburton street, W1W 5AJ) on 12th or 13th of February at various times throughout the day and early evening at your convenience. During the interview, you will be asked to perform some simple tasks on our client's website and provide your likes, dislikes and feedback.The scheduled times are:

10:00 12:00
13.00 15:00
16:00 18:00

If you are interested in taking part please click on the link or copy and paste the link into your browser address bar to complete the pre-participation form.

https://www.questionpro.com/akira/ga...527-18799561-0

Please feel free to pass this on to any family or friends that you feel would be interested.
# 17
sammy452
Old 05-02-2008, 2:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I always am a bit worried to join more than one market research group as I did not think that the companies allow this. Am I right to think this or are most of you with many companies?
# 18
silvercar
Old 05-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The restriction is usually on how many times you can be called for a research session, not how many companies you can register with.

For example, I recently earned 40 doing a 2 hour discussion on hair products so I wasn't eligible to do a project on hair products that another agency was offering.
# 19
homeworkeruk
Old 14-02-2008, 11:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Here's another request from fhios:

fhios has been contracted by The Electrical Contractors Association to conduct some research in order to improve their website and would like to invite professionals working in one of the following fields: electronic, electrical or installation engineering, or building services to take part. Everyone who participates will receive 100, which will be paid in cash at the end of the interview, for their time and expenses .

The research consists of attending a focus group that lasts no more than 2 hours in our research facility in central London (The Media Center, 3-8 Carburton street, W1W 5AJ) on 18th or 19th of February. During the focus group, you will take part in an informal group discussion about our client's website with like minded people and provide your likes, dislikes and feedback. The standard scheduled times are:

16.00 - 18.00
19:00 21:00

If you are interested in taking part and you are an professional working in one of the following fields: electronic, electrical or installation engineering, or building services please click on the link or copy and paste the link into your browser address bar to complete the pre-participation form.

https://www.questionpro.com/akira/ga...950-19442227-0

Please feel free to pass this on to any family or friends that you feel would be interested.
The Following User Says Thank You to homeworkeruk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
homeworkeruk
Old 18-02-2008, 3:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingernuts View Post
I'm new to this earn a bit of pocket money situ.. I'd like to register on one of these websites for market research but don't like the thought of giving them my address and some personal details (i'm a bit too careful!). Has anyone registered on these sites and found no problem with the security aspects of research companies with personel info?? would love to know before embarking on this venture..
If you aren't comfortable with a site you can check whether they are members of MRS which is the worlds largest association within market and opinion research and has a strict code of conduct. You can check out members on http://www.mrs.org.uk/companypartner/companies.htm . Of course this doesn't mean a company not listed isn't reputable (most focus group companies aren't on here) but in most of these cases you'll not be asked to give much more than your e-mail address and maybe a telephone number as regards personal information initially. If still not comfortable you should find a phone number on the site to ring.