Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 9th Aug 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,699Posts
    • 8,885Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Have you put the central heating on yet?
    • 9th Aug 17, 5:09 PM
    Have you put the central heating on yet? 9th Aug 17 at 5:09 PM
    I couldn't find the old thread but if I missed it please move this one!

Two nights ago I had to have a hot water bottle but last night the whole house was so cold that we put the heating on, and it's still on now.

How about everyone else?
Page 3
    • butterfly2507
    • By butterfly2507 11th Aug 17, 4:17 PM
    • 228 Posts
    • 1,690 Thanks
    butterfly2507
    Our heating always turns on when it's below 10 degrees. So nothing yet but I have to tell you: I am cold! And sick. I might wear a thick sweater and beanie ... IN AUGUST.
    Oct GC 181,14 € / 200 € NSD: 25 / 31
    Nov GC 146,94 € / 200 € NSD: 10 / 30

english is not my first language, sorry for any misspellings
    • springdreams
    • By springdreams 11th Aug 17, 9:31 PM
    • 3,563 Posts
    • 31,366 Thanks
    springdreams
    Not the heating; we're on the cool side but not worried, but our guests from Bavaria (where it's currently 35℃+) have had the fire on in their room all night. For nearly two weeks...
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    Give them an electric blanket - its got to be cheaper!
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    Originally posted by squeaky
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th Aug 17, 11:41 AM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 13,973 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Not yet, no, but I did put a cardigan on yesterday. I'm usually a cold person but to me, it still feels warm most of the time
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Soot2006
    • By Soot2006 12th Aug 17, 1:45 PM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 1,203 Thanks
    Soot2006
    Incredible what a temp range there must be across the country! We're in South East and it's still French doors wide open during the day and as many windows as possible open during the night. The rain cleared away some of the muggier weather and brought in a pleasant breeze but I'm not even in sleeves until 8/9pm-ish, let alone heating!
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 12th Aug 17, 1:51 PM
    • 16,993 Posts
    • 25,986 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    Incredible what a temp range there must be across the country! We're in South East and it's still French doors wide open during the day and as many windows as possible open during the night. The rain cleared away some of the muggier weather and brought in a pleasant breeze but I'm not even in sleeves until 8/9pm-ish, let alone heating!
    Originally posted by Soot2006
    I'm in North East Scotland and still have open windows. No long sleeves needed here yet.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 12th Aug 17, 4:48 PM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 16,126 Thanks
    csarina2
    No heating on, but we have gone to bed with hot water bottles and the fire has been lit in the sitting room a couple of afternoons!!
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th Aug 17, 5:46 PM
    • 13,072 Posts
    • 17,289 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Sat outside in shorts and a tee shirt enjoying a cold beer in the late afternoon sunshine. Felled a couple of trees this afternoon. Sliced them into rings. Need to split and stack them tomorrow.

BBQing a goose later.

ETA 21:15 Still outside in shorts and tee shirt. Goose cooking in the BBQ.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 12-08-2017 at 9:15 PM.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 12th Aug 17, 10:05 PM
    • 3,424 Posts
    • 40,726 Thanks
    maryb
    Heating no way! But I was just a bit too cold in bed last night to get to sleep (joints ache if I get a bit chilled). I should have put the bedspread on top of the thin summer duvet but I hadn't and I couldn't bring myself to get out of bed.

So I put the electric blanket on for half an hour.. Bliss! (I should say ours is one you can leave on overnight)
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 14th Aug 17, 10:50 AM
    • 4,917 Posts
    • 3,571 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    I don't think I could put it on in August. Using blankets to keep warm on the cold days.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Aug 17, 12:27 PM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I've had the electric fan on since I've got home, it's very warm and sunny here today.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Aug 17, 1:37 PM
    • 18,291 Posts
    • 46,812 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I don't put the heating on if it's a bit chilly in the summer.

Last week, I had a sleeveless maxi dress on but felt a bit cold so I changed into a pair of leggings and a long sleeved top.

I've got a holiday coming up and the heating will stay off until we're home - and hopefully for several weeks after that.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 15th Aug 17, 5:31 PM
    • 5,032 Posts
    • 29,280 Thanks
    quintwins
    I'm pretty sure my neighbours have their heat on, it's really warm in my living room today but not outside so I think the heat is coming threw. She feels the cold tho as she's in remission and has had chemo.

The price of heating oil is going up so I'm hoping to fill my tank at the end of sep. I will pop it on that day to get it well bleed threw but I'll be holding off until then.
    DFW £1263/£28996 4.3%

EF#240 £0
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 16th Aug 17, 8:11 AM
    • 5,717 Posts
    • 39,297 Thanks
    Caterina
    Aiming for 1st Nov earliest for CH but won't exclude using the woodstove before if it gets cold.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 16th Aug 17, 5:51 PM
    • 324 Posts
    • 4,064 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Not entirely, but we have had it on for 30 mins or so some evenings - it gets cold up here in Yorkshire! OK during the day when we're moving about but come evenings it's definitely chilly, even after putting on extra layers and using throws. Doesn't help that our property has concrete floors downstairs as well as concrete slab-type walls. I can't remember when we last had to put the heating on so early in the year.

Autumn seems to be coming early this year with some of the leaves on the trees already showing signs of turning colour.

Will be looking for a new fixed price fuel plan next week as our current one finishes at the end of the month. Not expecting to find anything cheaper than we already have but, on the plus side, we should be due for a rebate of around £120.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Nov £76.60/£160 NSDs 10/28
    Oct +£9.92 Sep +£42.85 Aug +£84.62 July +£7.98 June -£3.13 May +£10.37

• cally6008
    • By cally6008 8th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    • 7,423 Posts
    • 11,200 Thanks
    cally6008
    No heating on as yet but the thoughts are there, won't be long before need it on to help dry the clothes

Fleece banket on bottom of bed already, I'm another one who has achy joints if they get cold.
    Still got summer quilt on bed but went to bed wearing fleece PJ bottoms last night
    High winds here so only got a couple of windows open on latch but all have vents open on them.
    Bought lovely fleece socks yesterday, pink and white ones
    Progressed to wearing dressing gown most of the time.

• Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 8th Sep 17, 1:45 PM
    • 4,638 Posts
    • 28,016 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Mine is always on. But come November 4th I'm turning it down. Because I'm going to. He Big Apple. ��
    I soled my last sock
    For a whiff of your cheap perfume filled with hope of tears gone by
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 8th Sep 17, 7:04 PM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    Living proof
    I have worn bedsocks for the last two nights and it's simply not comfortable so I think mine might just go on tonight. Electric blanket will go on at the next change of bedding and maybe the winter duvet for the first time in several years.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 8th Sep 17, 7:44 PM
    • 7,785 Posts
    • 26,109 Thanks
    Primrose
    I think one can start to feel the cold more as one gets older and becomes slightly less active. Heating winter tested for half an hour the other morning but aiming for 1st October hopefully. Before that it will be thermal vests and my favourite body warmer which is very effective. Getting up during the evening several times and pacing up and down the room for a few minutes instead of remaining permanently seated in an armchair also gets the circulation going. Apparently wearing a woollen hat indoors also helps to keep the body well insulated.
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 8th Sep 17, 7:48 PM
    • 4,091 Posts
    • 9,079 Thanks
    Linda32
    I've turned our radiator thermostats up, so if the temperature in the house goes below 18 degrees which we find comfortable then the heating will come on.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 8th Sep 17, 7:51 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 5,721 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    No, but I just ordered a timer for the bathroom panel heater, because the winter mornings are VERY cold!
    Downsized and mortgage free
    Nov17 grocery challenge £133.10/£150
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,105Posts Today

5,091Users online

Martin's Twitter