Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dagsky
    • By dagsky 2nd Jun 17, 8:20 PM
    • 76Posts
    • 16Thanks
    dagsky
    Breakdown cover - Auto Aid or Start Rescue Or AA
    • 2nd Jun 17, 8:20 PM
    Breakdown cover - Auto Aid or Start Rescue Or AA 2nd Jun 17 at 8:20 PM
    Hi all. I'm looking at getting breakdown cover but i'm confused which company to go for. I've had a look at Auto Aid, Start Rescue, AA, RAC but still can't make my mind up as all the information i would like is not clear & precise on the relevant websites, i did try to call Auto Aid for clarification but sadly the person didn't understand what i was asking or they were just more interested in signing me up!

I would like breakdown cover that covers me at home, if i am away from home i would like the choice of being taken back home or my destination or a garage of my choice. I'm not sure if Autoaid or Start Rescue attempt fixing cars as the AA or RAC and that's something i would like.

Start Rescue seems to imply that they'll only go 10 miles from where i breakdown, but further reading says if my car can't be fixed by a garage in a day then they'll pay £100 towards where i want to go, but i'd be stuck in shetlands for the day! With the AA i get stuck, can't fix it, where do you want to go, that's what i would like.

Things like stuck/broken key, wrong fuel would be nice to have covered as well.

And one last thing i can't figure out, Start Rescue ( 3 Star) is ~£29/yr AutoAid is ~£43/yr & from my reading they're both offering the same thing, start rescue does say 6 call outs a yr but nothing mentioned in the wording of autoaid.
    Last edited by dagsky; 02-06-2017 at 8:45 PM.
Page 1
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 3rd Jun 17, 10:58 AM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 4,562 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    • 3rd Jun 17, 10:58 AM
    • 3rd Jun 17, 10:58 AM
    I've always found Autaid OK. The AA & RAC are now run by venture capitalists, rather than the motoring clubs that they used to be. If you do go with either of them be aware that there may be a huge hike in premium for the second and subsequent years.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 3rd Jun 17, 11:52 AM
    • 2,855 Posts
    • 1,513 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    • 3rd Jun 17, 11:52 AM
    • 3rd Jun 17, 11:52 AM
    Can only say broke down a year ago with autoaid bout 2 miles from home.

Guy arrived quickly, put the car on the back of truck and took us home. Didn't even need to reclaim. Might be different experience if 100 miles away.

Been with them for 8 odd years now.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 3rd Jun 17, 11:28 PM
    • 25,292 Posts
    • 10,037 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 3rd Jun 17, 11:28 PM
    • 3rd Jun 17, 11:28 PM
    RAC for me, if i change it will be Green Flag. The only 2 companies that offer the cover i need.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 4th Jun 17, 10:36 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 4th Jun 17, 10:36 AM
    • 4th Jun 17, 10:36 AM
    You can buy RAC cover using Tesco vouchers at an attractive rate assuming you have enough vouchers.
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 4th Jun 17, 10:53 AM
    • 2,855 Posts
    • 1,513 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    • 4th Jun 17, 10:53 AM
    • 4th Jun 17, 10:53 AM
    RAC for me, if i change it will be Green Flag. The only 2 companies that offer the cover i need.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Just out of interest what does your rac cover do over auto aid please?
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 4th Jun 17, 11:50 AM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 1,437 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 4th Jun 17, 11:50 AM
    • 4th Jun 17, 11:50 AM
    Just out of interest what does your rac cover do over auto aid please?
    Originally posted by consumers_revenge
    I don't know if Auto Aid is personal or vehicle based cover but my RAC (Tesco vouchers £48 for Home Start, Recovery and Roadside) is personal cover. That means I am covered if driving or a passenger in a vehicle other than my own.
    Also useful because I have a "classic" fine weather/weekend car as well as my daily driver. This means if either breakdown, with me driving, I am covered.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 4th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    • 2,855 Posts
    • 1,513 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    • 4th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    • 4th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    Ah,

Autoaid is any car ( except 125 motorbikes )
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 4th Jun 17, 3:07 PM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 1,437 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 4th Jun 17, 3:07 PM
    • 4th Jun 17, 3:07 PM
    Ah,

Autoaid is any car ( except 125 motorbikes )
    Originally posted by consumers_revenge
    Thanks for confirming that. I did check to make sure though.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • dagsky
    • By dagsky 7th Jun 17, 11:33 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    dagsky
    thanks for the input all, decided to go with Auto Aid on this as when i put in car reg to start rescue it went up to £58 odd, 2006 bmw!
    • takethemon
    • By takethemon 7th Jul 17, 2:20 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    takethemon
    Just phoned LV/Britannia Rescue regarding my renewal quote of £115.
    Told them AutoAid quoted £43.
    Was informed that they could not come anywhere near that rate so AutoAid it is from now on.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 7th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    AutoAid just send a recovery truck; they don't try fixing anything like the AA and RAC do.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 7th Jul 17, 10:52 PM
    • 32,098 Posts
    • 16,184 Thanks
    Quentin
    AutoAid just send a recovery truck; they don't try fixing anything like the AA and RAC do.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    Not according to their policy

They sound just like the AA and RAC!

We will arrange and pay call-out fees and labour charges to repair the vehicle at the roadside and so allow your journey to continue......
    • takethemon
    • By takethemon 7th Jul 17, 11:44 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    takethemon
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond

Cover is identical to that which I had with Brittania Rescue.
    • Laz123
    • By Laz123 8th Jul 17, 10:54 AM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 850 Thanks
    Laz123
    Green Flag are advertising 50% off an RAC or AA quote.
    I like life. It's something to do.

Ronnie Shakes
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 8th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    • 217 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    Had a flat tyre on busy dual carriageway in rush hour, Auto Aid guy turned up in 30 minutes and fitted my compact spare no charges and the guy on the phone was very good, renewal was a couple of weeks later and no increase still £43.
    • bob_a_builder
    • By bob_a_builder 9th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    bob_a_builder
    Originally Posted by EdGasketTheSecond View Post
    Autoaid , Fixed my sons car at side of road ( he had to pay for part at the time) but no other charges made
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,077 Thanks
    AdrianC
    One thing worth double-checking about any of the pay-and-reclaim services is the maximum they'll repay. I went with GEM's pay-and-reclaim, and needed to get the car moved from home to the nearest big town, after it jumped a tooth on the cambelt when starting. The fee was about £20 more than their maximum "home start" claim limit. That's much more than the extra premium for a "normal" package.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Jul 17, 2:11 PM
    • 32,098 Posts
    • 16,184 Thanks
    Quentin
    Autoaid no longer pay and claim.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 17, 2:18 PM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,077 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Autoaid no longer pay and claim.
    Originally posted by Quentin
    AutoAid were straight out for me, solely because of their 19th century attitude to relationships.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,463Posts Today

9,115Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin