Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JPB156
    • By JPB156 19th May 17, 10:00 AM
    • 85Posts
    • 6Thanks
    JPB156
    We can't afford to live together and have children
    • 19th May 17, 10:00 AM
    We can't afford to live together and have children 19th May 17 at 10:00 AM
    Hi have just joined the forum because me and my girlfriend are feeling so low in our situation.

I am 35 and she is 30 and we have been together for 11 years, we are living with our parents and have been saving for a house, we earn about 34000 between us and have about 2300 a month after tax. We have found a house we both love but house prices are now so stupidly high, it's 190000 and we have a 40000 deposit. We can get a mortgage but we are worried about affording it in the future if interest rates rise, we feel we will be fine for a while but if we are paying anything above 10% we won't be able to do it and how can we put faith in it not going to that rate in the next 30 years.

We want children and feel time isn't on our side there but if we have one then any savings we have would go on childcare so how would we pay for anything such as a car when ours has given up on us. A cheaper house is an option but there is so little choice in this area and feel if we wait much longer we will be priced out even more, rental prices are just as bad and keep going up aswell and then how do we pay rent after retirement. there is not much prospect of us earning more in the future.

We just feel so trapped and that we will not only be unable to ever live together but also that means never having children. We feel so low and I've never felt worse, our relationship is so strong but I really feel scared for us and not being able to give her what she wants and deserves.

Sorry for the long post
Page 18
    • warby68
    • By warby68 30th May 17, 8:24 AM
    • 754 Posts
    • 8,441 Thanks
    warby68
    If you are geuine OP, then please start living your life instead of waiting for it to start.

I am pretty boring and unadventurous but by 35, I'd lived in 3 cities/towns, bought 3 houses, had 2 children , 2 major bereavements, several pets, 2 employers, 5 promotions and a few health issues as well as always partly looking after a widowed mum.

I've survived - most of us do. You are stagnating if what you say is all true and the longer you do that, the harder it will be. Life is precious, time to start living it before it runs out on you.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 30th May 17, 9:51 AM
    • 29,345 Posts
    • 18,555 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I know its been repeated but find a place to rent and see if the 2 of you can actually live together. You could if you wanted too find a 1 or 2 bedroom and make a statememt to your gf.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • sweetbabu
    • By sweetbabu 11th Jun 17, 7:06 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    sweetbabu
    Oh god. I thought this had died@
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 11th Jun 17, 7:34 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Oh god. I thought this had died@
    Originally posted by sweetbabu
    Same. And it had til some daft so and so decided to post mostly what had already been said, and repeatedly ignored
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,061Posts Today

6,785Users online

Martin's Twitter