We can't afford to live together and have children

Options

Comments

• JPB156
    JPB156 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    It's building equity that would make me feel secure, this house sold about 2 years ago for 152000 and I'm thinking it's got so high surely it can only go down. Have googled so much in last few days about economy and house prices and interest rates and there's so much scare mongering in the press you never know what's real and what's not. Everything feels so uncertain with brexit and an election it feels like its all going to go bang soon, not saying I know the first thing about the finances of the world and how it all works
  • JPB156
    Options
    These thoughts of not affording children are recent, since looking into costs of mortgage.
    Had fertility checked last year as had a medical issue when I was a child and wanted to know if it had affected me. They said it's not disasterous but lower than ideal
  • mai_taylor
    mai_taylor Posts: 220 Forumite
    Options
    JPB156 wrote: »
    It's building equity that would make me feel secure, this house sold about 2 years ago for 152000 and I'm thinking it's got so high surely it can only go down. Have googled so much in last few days about economy and house prices and interest rates and there's so much scare mongering in the press you never know what's real and what's not. Everything feels so uncertain with brexit and an election it feels like its all going to go bang soon, not saying I know the first thing about the finances of the world and how it all works

That's exactly what it is scare mongering, if everyone listened to the doom and gloom in the press I'd doubt they'd leave the house.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It's building equity that would make me feel secure, this house sold about 2 years ago for 152000 and I'm thinking it's got so high surely it can only go down.

Did you think that 2 years ago when it was also at an all-time high?
    Have googled so much in last few days about economy and house prices and interest rates and there's so much scare mongering in the press you never know what's real and what's not.

If you don't know if it's real then why factor it into your decision making? You may as well consult the prophecies of Nostradamus.
    Everything feels so uncertain with brexit and an election it feels like its all going to go bang soon

The UK existed for 260 years outside the EU. We have had, by my rough count, 51 general elections so far. Why do you think this one is going to make it go bang?
  • JPB156
    Options
    I really don't know what to think anymore
  • anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    just wondering what part of the country to are ?

If you lived in my town and it was a good house it would have already sold during the period of this thread.

You probably should offer as soon as possible if that's what you decide
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Why did you have your fertility checked when you're adamant you can't afford children?

He probably decided he didn't have enough things to worry about and needed another one. I apologise in advance for being blase and oversimplifying medical issues, but a man who has been diagnosed with a low sperm count may still be firing 100 million sperm per fusillade, and you only need one to fertilise the egg. To quote Wikipedia, "Achieving a pregnancy naturally may be a challenge if the male suffers from a low sperm count. However, chances are good if the female partner is fertile; many couples with this problem have been successful."
  • heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I really don't know what to think anymore

Read through this thread again. Everyone's saying the same thing but you're determined to be doom-laden.

Honestly? You keep going this way you're going to lose the house, then your partner, your parents may resent you, and you'll wonder how on earth that all happened.

Take a chance. Buy the house. Or rent for a short-term (6mo-1year) contract.

Get out there and LIVE!

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • JPB156
    Options
    Actually that's exactly how I'm looking at it but are you saying if you were told you were low that you wouldn't feel like you should not leave it til your 40's when chances are your levels are starting to drop anyway
  • Livelongandprosper
    Options
    That's a big help livelongandprosper, I had tried working out a budget and was putting in 300 for shopping.
    The house just feels too good for us can't tell if I'm dreaming or knocking myself down

And perhaps your shopping will be £300, which is why no one but you can tell what YOUR cost of living will be. No one is being nasty, they just can't answer your questions

Rates for example, my rates are high because I have a bloody great big house. If I lived half a mile down the road, in a 3 bedroom house, I'd be paying less then half

We don't have to pay for tv licience as my mum is over 75 ( she lives with us)

I don't pay bb as my mum pays for that in her landline package

We don't watch a lot of tv so no need for a package

I cook from scratch every day. I shop in lidls and ys shop elsewhere. We have hens and we grow our own veg. We eat well and healthily, but eating out and take outs are not on our agenda very often, a meal out nowadays is a £10 lunch special :)

We don't spend on clothes and haircuts. I cut his and mine, I go once a year for a proper cut @£20. When I was younger and needed to be smart for work, £50 a month was more like it. We live a quiet county life. We live in jeans and jumpers. New smart clothes happen once every now and then, so rarely I don't need to budget for them

We don't go to the pictures, theatre or anything like that now. Our social life is generally free local community things

We don't pay water rates here so that's a saving

Everyone's lifestyle is different. That's what determines you our cost of living
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure