Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search

Results: Did you win a copy of the book 'One Pound Meals' in the Giveaway Competion?

Yes - It was signed by the author (not a printed signature)

0% • 0 votes

Yes - It wasn't signed by the author (not a printed signature)

100.00% • 8 votes

You may not vote on this poll

8 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 11th May 17, 6:22 AM
    • 919Posts
    • 1,254Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Did you win a copy of 'One Pound Meals' in the MSE Giveaway Competition?
    • 11th May 17, 6:22 AM
    Did you win a copy of 'One Pound Meals' in the MSE Giveaway Competition? 11th May 17 at 6:22 AM
    Are you disappointed when the prize you win, isn't the prize (exactly) described for the competition you have entered?

For example, I won a "signed" copy of the "One Pound Meals" book, which sadly, wasn't a signed copy.

Or maybe they meant the standard printed signature which was on every copy?

There is no explanation or apology as to why the book hasn't been signed. Maybe i should ring customer services and explain i was expecting a signed copy?

Instagram chef Miguel Barclay has offered us 50 signed copies of his book "One Pound Meals" to give away! The RRP for One Pound Meals is £14.99 but it's available for £4.99 on Amazon.

The FIRST 50 people to get back to us will win a signed copy of the book.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5619498&highlight=one+pound+books +giveaway

I'm disappointed i didn't win a "signed" copy, but should i be thankful for just winning an unsigned book?

Not being an experienced comper, I've no idea how often prizes don't live up to expectations, but to me, it was an attractive feature of the competition, in the first place.

I do apologise for not being able to edit the poll title, which should read Competition.
    Last edited by fredandwilma; 19-05-2017 at 1:34 PM.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
Page 1
    • LisaKent
    • By LisaKent 11th May 17, 10:27 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    LisaKent
    • 11th May 17, 10:27 PM
    • 11th May 17, 10:27 PM
    Hi,

Yes I know what you mean, I thought it would have been an actual signed copy too, mainly because in the competition details it said...

"MSE Lucia met up with Miguel Barclay to watch him make a recipe:"

and

"Instagram chef Miguel Barclay has offered us 50 signed copies of his book "One Pound Meals" to give away!"

Which implies that the prize books were actually going to be signed, perhaps during the meet up with MSE Lucia.

Although it is a really good book I do agree it's disappointing and the 'signed copy' wording is somewhat misleading, which is not really what you'd expect from an MSE promotion!

Have you tried any of the recipes yet? I did the pulled pork chilli for tea, highly recommended!
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 12th May 17, 6:30 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    • 12th May 17, 6:30 AM
    • 12th May 17, 6:30 AM
    Hi Lisa,

I'm glad at least one person agrees with me.

No, i haven't tried any of the recipes, yet. I shall have to try the pulled pork chilli.

I'm devoting my time to resolve the issue of the "unsigned" copies.

I can't even get a response from MSE.

But i do think the impression given was the books would actually be "signed" copies as a reward for winning the competition, rather than the printed signature on standard copies, as there were "50 signed copies".

Come on MSE - Reply please. Were these copies actually going to be signed by the author?

There's very little difference to buying a copy for £4.99 off Amazon. Except £4.99.

Still disappointed,

f&w

Carpe diem
    • LisaKent
    • By LisaKent 12th May 17, 2:41 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    LisaKent
    • 12th May 17, 2:41 PM
    • 12th May 17, 2:41 PM
    Hi,

If you manage to get through to MSE, this may be of use to you:

http://www.emptymirrorbooks.com/collecting/author-signatures.html

After having a read through myself, it looks like the books we received were 'facsimile copies' (mass produced) not the 'signed copies' that we were supposed to receive.

I'm thinking the distributor has sent out the wrong books, I can't imagine MSE would deliberately mislead.

If you do manage to get hold of MSE please post an update,

Thanks,
    Lisa.
    • WoodyAllenJesus
    • By WoodyAllenJesus 12th May 17, 2:55 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    WoodyAllenJesus
    • 12th May 17, 2:55 PM
    • 12th May 17, 2:55 PM
    I can't comment on the book as I didn't win one (although I've won several on Goodreads that were meant to be signed and then weren't)

I won a M&S Christmas Hamper, my first ever hamper win, on Facebook in December. It was supposed to come with all sorts of goodies but straight after telling me I'd won and could I confirm my address, they emailed me back to say the hamper had gone out of stock and they'd be sending another one instead. The one I received only contained shower gel and a tiny bottle of wine with some chocolates. I didn't feel I could complain as it was a charity who had done the giveaway so I just left it, but it was quite disappointing, even though it's nice to win anything really.

Raleigh bikes were unable to fulfil the exact prize (I won bikes for me and my daughter, and the 'daughter' bike was out of stock) but they sent me a list of alternatives and she ended up with one much better than the original prize so full marks to Raleigh.
    • mansey
    • By mansey 12th May 17, 4:16 PM
    • 2,849 Posts
    • 9,325 Thanks
    mansey
    • 12th May 17, 4:16 PM
    • 12th May 17, 4:16 PM

I'm devoting my time to resolve the issue of the "unsigned" copies.
    Originally posted by fredandwilma
    Tell me I have misunderstood this thread.

Tell me you have a dry sense of humour

You can't really be so stressed over an unsigned book

I think I would be devoting my time to winning something better than an unsigned cook book.
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.”
    ― Billy Joel
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 12th May 17, 4:53 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    • 12th May 17, 4:53 PM
    • 12th May 17, 4:53 PM
    Hi,

If you manage to get through to MSE, this may be of use to you:

http://www.emptymirrorbooks.com/collecting/author-signatures.html

After having a read through myself, it looks like the books we received were 'facsimile copies' (mass produced) not the 'signed copies' that we were supposed to receive.

I'm thinking the distributor has sent out the wrong books, I can't imagine MSE would deliberately mislead.

If you do manage to get hold of MSE please post an update,

Thanks,
    Lisa.
    Originally posted by LisaKent

Hi Lisa,

No, I still haven't had a response from MSE.

However, I have now contacted the distributor who have informed me their instructions originate from the publisher. They are going to get in touch with the publisher and get back in touch with me, although this won't be until next week, now.

I'll update you when I've heard from the publisher.

What a kerfuffle?

Wouldn't it be so much easier if MSE replied with a definitive yes or no as to whether the prize was a signed copy, and if so, surely they have a responsibility to ensure the "terms" of their competition were fulfilled?

Or at least an apology to say, we're sorry, we were unable to obtain signed copies, or to get in touch with the publishers themselves. They would carry much more weight than i do, as it was their "order"?

As you say, MSE Lucia met with Miguel Barclay and did state

If you would like to enter our competition to win a signed copy of One Pound Meals, you can find all the details in our forum

https://youtu.be/6i2mY3UouAY

What precisely did signed, mean?

Only time will tell?

Carpe diem
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 12th May 17, 4:56 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    • 12th May 17, 4:56 PM
    • 12th May 17, 4:56 PM
    I can't comment on the book as I didn't win one (although I've won several on Goodreads that were meant to be signed and then weren't)

I won a M&S Christmas Hamper, my first ever hamper win, on Facebook in December. It was supposed to come with all sorts of goodies but straight after telling me I'd won and could I confirm my address, they emailed me back to say the hamper had gone out of stock and they'd be sending another one instead. The one I received only contained shower gel and a tiny bottle of wine with some chocolates. I didn't feel I could complain as it was a charity who had done the giveaway so I just left it, but it was quite disappointing, even though it's nice to win anything really.

Raleigh bikes were unable to fulfil the exact prize (I won bikes for me and my daughter, and the 'daughter' bike was out of stock) but they sent me a list of alternatives and she ended up with one much better than the original prize so full marks to Raleigh.
    Originally posted by WoodyAllenJesus
    Good to hear about your wins and the fact you were kept informed.

Carpe diem
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 12th May 17, 5:05 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    • 12th May 17, 5:05 PM
    • 12th May 17, 5:05 PM
    Tell me I have misunderstood this thread.

Tell me you have a dry sense of humour

You can't really be so stressed over an unsigned book

I think I would be devoting my time to winning something better than an unsigned cook book.
    Originally posted by mansey
    How did you guess i have a very dry sense of humour?

You're right, I'm not stressed over an unsigned book.

It's principles I'm interested in.

David v Goliath?

f&w

Carpe diem
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 17th May 17, 9:36 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Update
    Hi Lisa Kent

Just an update - I received a "signed" copy of the book today, although, rather strangely, it's signed by Migeul, opposed to Miguel (to me, it looks completely different to the printed signature and it definitely says Migeul). It also looks as if it has been copied over pencil lines, unless it's just the way the pen left indentations?

It's definitely different to the original copy i received, but I'm curious to know how Miguel forgot how to spell his own name?

I've no idea where the copy has been sent from as I've had no correspondence from anywhere, and there was no insert , (i.e. with compliments).

The mystery deepens - There's no pleasing some people, is there?

Curiouser and curiouser...............

Carpe diem
    • LisaKent
    • By LisaKent 18th May 17, 1:00 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    LisaKent
    Thanks for the update!

So, 'Miguel' [Migeul!] spelled his own name wrong??!! Hmmmm indeed! How very strange!
    I wonder what MSE would think of this? I take it they haven't got back to you yet then?

Maybe the distributor issued the prize winners with standard copies instead of the actual signed copies? Maybe there were never any 'signed' copies? Or maybe we'll never know!

Hopefully you'll hear from MSE soon to confirm whether they were supposed to be actual signed copies or not.

I'm not sure I'll sleep tonight lol!

Lisa x
    Or should I say
    Lsia! x
    • lilias
    • By lilias 18th May 17, 3:08 PM
    • 7,080 Posts
    • 450,230 Thanks
    lilias
    I would just like to say that I'm really enjoying this thread. What will our intrepid heroine discover next?
    • LisaKent
    • By LisaKent 18th May 17, 6:16 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    LisaKent
    HaHa! Love it!

Fred&Wilma an Intrepid Heroine! Brilliant!
    Glad you're enjoying the thread!

Perhaps Fred&Wilma will respond later, could be currently solving another mystery!

Lisa x
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 19th May 17, 7:29 AM
    • 919 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Fredandwilma could also be an intrepid hero?

Some people may wonder why I'm going to so much trouble regarding an "unsigned" book which costs £4.99 on Amazon.

However, I entered a competition to win a "signed" copy of a book, which was well publicised as such, (whatever a "signed" copy, may be).

On reflection, I know who has sent the "signed" copy by Migeul.

There could be several reasons why it was signed by Migeul.

I can quite understand the wall of silence from MSE. After all, they are not going to commit to any sort of answer. Which is a shame, as this could have been resolved by the promoter quite easily, and i would have been happy with whatever reply given, whatever the outcome.

I'm surprised other potential winners haven't replied. It would be interesting to know if others won a copy and if it was a "signed" copy?

However, there is still recourse for "compers" if you feel you have entered a competition which didn't quite live up to expectations.

I shall update if or when i have any further news, (if I'm not ppr'd for my investigations).

Maybe i should say goodbye, now?

I would like to say, I'm by no means a trouble causer. After all, it's a site for consumers.

On balance, you could say it's unfortunate i won a copy in the first place, given the chances of that happening?

Ttfn

f&w

Carpe diem
    • lilias
    • By lilias 19th May 17, 10:57 AM
    • 7,080 Posts
    • 450,230 Thanks
    lilias
    Sorry for assuming you were female.

I should make it clear that I wasn't being sarcastic. I, too, feel very strongly that what you are promised is what you should get. It's a contract between you and the people running the competition and nobody should break a contract, and that includes MSE
    • mansey
    • By mansey 19th May 17, 1:08 PM
    • 2,849 Posts
    • 9,325 Thanks
    mansey
    When you do a poll, I think you are supposed to give more options than

"Yes I was disappointed"

What about

"No" I won a cookbook, I have received it and now I have moved on to bigger and better things
    Last edited by mansey; 19-05-2017 at 1:19 PM.
    “I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.”
    ― Billy Joel
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 19th May 17, 1:10 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Sorry for assuming you were female.

I should make it clear that I wasn't being sarcastic. I, too, feel very strongly that what you are promised is what you should get. It's a contract between you and the people running the competition and nobody should break a contract, and that includes MSE
    Originally posted by lilias

Hi,

That's ok, I haven't taken offence and thanks for the encouraging words, with which i agree. If there was a problem, you would expect any company to at least respond and / or look into issues raised?

I feel the lack of response to my query is no different to the issues we all use this site for, everyday? It's no different to any company not replying to issues raised.

Not only that, it's almost impossible to get in touch with anyone with any clear authority, in the company.

I don't expect there's any chance of winning a Newshound badge?

Carpe diem
    • WoodyAllenJesus
    • By WoodyAllenJesus 19th May 17, 2:48 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    WoodyAllenJesus
    Good grief is this thread still going on? and now it's a poll as well!! It IS hilarious though.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th May 17, 6:08 PM
    • 59,187 Posts
    • 345,520 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Competition prizes..... the gift that keeps taking ....

• stuartwilson23
    • By stuartwilson23 19th May 17, 7:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    stuartwilson23
    I can't honestly say that I'd noticed my book wasn't signed and it doesn't really bother me. But, if you're promised something and it isn't as described, even if it is free, I think you have the right to complain or at least make the person / organisation aware of the mistake.

Hope you're reading this MSE!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,811Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin