Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    • 298Posts
    • 2,933Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Second time lucky... debt free diary.
    • 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    Second time lucky... debt free diary. 7th Apr 17 at 1:13 PM
    Good afternoon all. As title says, this is my second time here. I started a few years ago, debt started to go down. Then DH was made redundant! He refused to sign on and we lived from the credit cards (think he was suffering depression). I have major mental health issues but went back to work almost 2 years ago but we were scraping by while dh tried self employed (something I desperately didn't want him to do).

In February he started a part time, temp job but has been working full time hours and looks like he could be staying at least for now.

I've been off work for a month as I have something growing on my ear drum, vertigo is now under control, still waiting for hospital appointment but...

From Friday we should have 2 full time wages coming in!!

Cards have been removedso we cant rely on them and ive got my lists ready. I'm dreading posting this but here goes...

Loan: £414 last payment this month!
    CC1: £830 min payment £25 on 5% for life rate
    CC2: £6987 0% till Jan 18
    CC3: £3185 0% till june 17
    CC4: £9035 0% till july 17 on 830 the rest 0%till sep 17
    CC5: £8816 think it's 0% for 18 months

Total: £29267

We have also had a sofa. payments don't start until its delivered. Ours had collapsed and we are currently on beanbags. We have had a nice one to hopefully last. The payments on that are £90 a month 0% for 4 years. so im going to add the £4287 (I think the insurance cost more than 1 chair) to the starting total.

Total: £33554

I don't know how long it'll take to be debt free but my aim for now is just seeing it go down not up. Thank you for reading if you've made it all the way to the end.
Page 1
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Apr 17, 1:56 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    • 7th Apr 17, 1:56 PM
    • 7th Apr 17, 1:56 PM
    Just looking at the figures and to make it look more bearable in going to break it down into 10 chunks (that may work out at a year each chunk but I hope not).
    So first 10% is £3355.40 so that's my first aim by the end of the year. Printing off a 100 square and colouring it in as I go (33.56 per square). Going to try and update totals on the 1st of each month.
    I know its only a small start but at least we can see it going down.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 8th Apr 17, 10:45 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    • 8th Apr 17, 10:45 AM
    • 8th Apr 17, 10:45 AM
    Well yesterday was a NSD, going to see how many we manage for the rest of the month, may not be great with kids being off. Today was a spend day as DH brought moana on his way home this morning.
    I was up until 2am this morning going through al the accounts and writing down the bills. Due to a tax credits back payment, I've got 1 account with £1000 sat in it, This will be topped back to that each month, its a 'children' account. It pays dinner money, trips, clothes, swimming/dance lessons anything that's not 'food' the dvd came out of this account, birthdays and christmas. If the moneys not there they cant have it.

I've also got £1000 in a 'house' account which will be topped up after the children account. This is more our emergency fund but we have so much we need! We are sleeping on an old mattress on the floor and DH is suffering constant back ache, the boys mattress has popped springs and squeaks like mad, the fridge freezer has to be turned off completely and defrosted every 2 weeks or it stops working. The boiler has had it, really needs replacing, we have to have the heating on for a shower, if the heating's not on the showers cold but the radiators are on full.

Its just prioritising that account to get everything so it's not going on CC's again.

I've always worked from 1 account, everything builds up in it over the month then on the first I transfer the bill money to that account, food money to another and then what was left to the children's or extras as it was then. Will be nice to have a 'house account and not worry to much if anything needs replacing.

After both accounts are topped up anything left over will go as extra on to the cards. I used to chuck every spare penny at them and then everything would break at once and I'd have to resort to the CC's.

So our bills account looks like this...
    Mortgage £581
    Npower £114
    Park £55
    Netflix £9
    Water £59
    Tv license £13
    Scottish widows £8
    House ins £24
    Phone/internet £50
    Scottish widows £6
    Tesco mobile £7
    Vodafone £35
    Car tax £19
    Lottery £18
    Car ins £102
    Council tax £120
    Total 1220

Food account gets £200 a week, this covers food, pet food and fuel. I really need to work on the fuels. Fuels probably about £30 a week and pet foods about £20 so spending about £150 on food (theres 7 of us).

That gives me a few things to work through getting cheaper.

Right better go sort some children before they wake the DH
    LBM-March 17 £1487/£33554 (4.4%) paid
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 9th Apr 17, 1:39 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    • 9th Apr 17, 1:39 PM
    • 9th Apr 17, 1:39 PM
    Last night I did a shopping order. only ordering stuff needed for the children (why are they always hungry when off school?). I kept going back until it was under £50, hoping it lasts all week We need to use stuff up from the freezer as it will need switching off this weekend to defrost. Will write a list of what's left in there in a minute.

Spoke to DH and he said he would rather get a fridge freezer first as turning it off every 2 weeks will be costing a fortune in refreezing. He would like to replace the American style, I'm wondering if separates would be better as a lot more freezer space, I know they will miss the water/ice though. I've just looked at some good ones with a lot more storage (to freeze meals) and the energy use a year is half an American style (and a lot less than the one we have now).

Toady will be a NSD as DH at work again tonight so children enjoying the sunshine in the garden.

Spends so far this month (only since starting the diary).
    Grocery:£49
    Entertainment:£10

Tomorrow will be a spend day as they have been waiting for months for star wars to come out.

NSD 2/3
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 09-04-2017 at 1:42 PM.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 9th Apr 17, 2:39 PM
    • 3,547 Posts
    • 6,178 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 9th Apr 17, 2:39 PM
    • 9th Apr 17, 2:39 PM
    Your groceries bill is massive so I would have thought there was room to bring that down but I suppose it depends on how big your family is. The sofa is also really expensive.

Good that the cards are on 0%, you have stopped using them and you will have an extra £414 if the loan finishes this month. Having a target is a good idea and you could put it in your signature so you can see it coming down each month. The American style fridge freezers with water/ice dispensers are lovely but huge and very expensive to run. We have always gone for a normal fridge freezer and a separate freezer in the garage which we only use at Christmas and in the summer for lollies, ice creams etc. We defrost it and leave it unused in the spring and autumn.
    Debt and mortgage free and saving for early retirement
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 9th Apr 17, 10:26 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    • 9th Apr 17, 10:26 PM
    • 9th Apr 17, 10:26 PM
    Thank you for your post enthusiasticsaver. My grocery bills are huge. I'm going to try and keep track of what we spend to see where it goes. Especially while we have both been working full time and problems with the fridge freezer stopping working, we have also wasted so much food. There's 7 of us (DH and DS1 can both eat enough for 2) 3 Labradors, 2 cats a snake and fish.
    The sofa is expensive but we wanted something that would last and be comfy. We needed 2x3 seaters and a 2 seater. We also paid extra for the recline as my youngest are asthmatic and we spend regular nights on the sofa. I know another cheaper sofa may not have lasted long.

Still arguing with DH over the freezer. He wants an American at £900. I was looking at the cheaper separates, He said they wont work out any cheaper and probably break down so wanted a better brand. I compromised for the bosch separates, a bit more Expensive to buy but cheaper to run, if one ever fails we only have that 1 to replace (unlike now where we have to sort both out), more freezer space, £90 cashback (ends today) and £300 gift card only making them 100 more than the American he wanted.... but nope, he's having none of it so I give up, he can defrost it every 2 weeks! Or I'll just order them and not tell him till they turn up. Will keep an eye out for other offers...sorry for the rant, I just don't think he realises I'm trying to clear the debt or how much work its going to take.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 10th Apr 17, 8:24 AM
    • 3,547 Posts
    • 6,178 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 10th Apr 17, 8:24 AM
    • 10th Apr 17, 8:24 AM
    Can I ask when we're you last debt free? Is this £33k + accumulated over time. If your DH is not on board it is very difficult to budget if he constantly spends money you don't have. If you buy a £900 freezer from your house account that clears it out leaving nothing for real emergencies meaning next months money is allocated before the month has started. I am not sure he realises how bad your situation is. How much do you intend to pay each month off the debt?
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 10th Apr 17, 10:39 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    • 10th Apr 17, 10:39 PM
    • 10th Apr 17, 10:39 PM
    Thank you for taking the time to post Enthusiasticsaver- I think we've always been in debt. When we bought the house (15 years ago) it needed a lot of work (some still not done) and instead of offering extra on the mortgage the man at the bank said 'and you'll need a credit card for all the work?..' Then we had DS that has kabuki syndrome so I stopped working, then DH being made redundant. The cards were just.. easy money, I guess.

Minimum payments will be made on everything first and then whatever is left, allocated. I'm hoping about £700 a month. I'm only on SSP while waiting for hospital app and DH is only contracted for 7 hours, but been working 30, although will work 60 this week so we have no exact monthly figure.
    Spoke to him today and we are going to try turning the water off to the freezer to see if it stops happening, wondering if there's a leak we cant find.
    Some of the debt was a new car after ours broke down and the conservatory to give us more space (7 of us in a small 3 bed) but the rest has just been on things we cant even remember.

He's off tomorrow so going to go through everything with him then. I don't want the kids to suffer, hence keeping the kids account topped up in case DH is finished at the end of his temp contract but I hate, hate, hate having so much debt and I really want to work on it.

Today has been a spend day but I knew it would be.
    £48 from the childrens/entertainment account. DVD for the boys (they wanted to go to the cinema but I wouldn't spend the £70) The kids have had a small toy/book instead of easter egg (£28 between them, I know eggs are cheaper but I hate buying so much chocolate) and fakeaway tea after swimming lessons, pizza for kids and tikka for us £10. Normally we would have ordered £30+ to be delivered when we got back.
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 10-04-2017 at 10:41 PM.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 10th Apr 17, 11:02 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    • 10th Apr 17, 11:02 PM
    • 10th Apr 17, 11:02 PM
    I've been trying to do some rough figures and may be able to almost double the payment on good months. All I can do is make sure everything's paid and go from there.

Luckily our credit ratings aren't as I've never missed a minimum payment. I know our interest on mortgage could be a lot lower, maybe once we are debt free we can look at it.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 11th Apr 17, 8:06 AM
    • 3,547 Posts
    • 6,178 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Ok so your posts have thrown up a few red flags and I definitely think your DH needs his own lightbulb moment as he seems to be spending money regardless of the fact he is on a temporary contract and you have such high unsecured debt. Getting a remortgage for a better rate will be hard if his income is not secure and you have have a lot of unsecured debt.

As you say you have been sucked into the easy money trap by spending without a budget. Having the 2 accounts for the house and children is a good idea though and keeping the food and bills money separate is also good. What needs to change is the impulse to reach for a credit card when something breaks or you want to buy something. The only way to address this is to stop spending on credit. Ideally you would have saved for a sofa but as you are spending so much on debt repayments my guess is you have little room to save. This will only change as the debt reduces.

You do need to turn this around now as I imagine 5 years ago your debt was closer to £20-£25k and 5 years before that it was lower still. Eventually you will need a bigger house. Your kids will get more expensive as they get older. You will get closer to retirement and retiring with debt and little savings would be miserable. Your DH needs to realise this even if you have or you will be constantly fighting and you need to work together.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 13th Apr 17, 10:06 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you for your reply again Enthusiasticsaver.

I have sat with DH and I'm hoping things are going in the right direction. We've decided, for now, to aim for 5 years to be debt free. That's £560 off the debt every month. We are going to aim for the £700 every month to cover any interest or just pay it off earlier. Hopefully leaving us some money for the time being for everything that needs doing without resorting to the cards. Luckily he seemed to be with me on this. Giving a DFD of 1st april 22 or before (i'm hoping way before).

As I've not posted for a couple of days... we have spent £8 on top up grocery, £9 on a prescription, DH had £5 for some cans (he asked for some more yesterday, I said no, he didn't argue.. That's a first. Had to do a shop for tomorrow, estimated £52. (All rounded up. Hoping by writing each spend on here I can add each category up at the end of each month

We have also had a phone call to say sofas coming next week, not in may like we thought, so have used the house account to start the decorating. £168 so far for ceiling plastering, wall paper and tools and some bulbs for lights that had already blown.

fridge/Freezer had packed in Tuesday morning, managed to salvage almost everything, defrosted and working again at the moment but it seems to be lasting less time each time we defrost it.

Will hopefully be a NSweekend as DH working till Wednesday. Did a estimate for car insurance earlier and can almost half it at renewal!

Right I've waffled long enough, will update any spends over the weekend (Just realised our last loan payment is Monday, will be strange to see that balance gone).
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 14th Apr 17, 10:36 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Shopping arrived, just under £52 already realised things I have missed, will definitely need to fetch tea bags.

NSD today. Should be another tomorrow as can't get anywhere.

Actually looking forward to the end of the month and being able to update my signature for the first time.
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 14th Apr 17, 10:57 PM
    • 10,623 Posts
    • 68,502 Thanks
    Bobarella
    Good luck with your repayments Charlie.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £54.82 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1855 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 15th Apr 17, 10:40 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you bobarella. I've read hundreds of diaries over the last week and I'm sure 1 of them was yours. If I've remembered correctly, congratulations on being debt free. (I've read so many, I've confused myself).

Won't be a NSD as planned. Dh is now off today and working all next week so has asked if he can have his 4 cans today instead (ok I feel a bit bad that he had to ask if he could have a beer, j told him he can have 1 pack of 4 a week. We haven't had a night out in over 7 years so it's the only alcohol he has, I don't drink at all) he can fetch tea bags at same time.

Only gives us the weekend to plaster and decorate.... think we'll be storing the new sofas for a while as will need a miracle to get it finished.
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 15-04-2017 at 10:47 AM.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 16th Apr 17, 9:59 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Didn't manage to get on yesterday, so spends yesterday was Mr t for beer and tea bags, dh came home with chocolate for everyone as he felf guilty rgey didn't have easter eggs, teabags and 2 lots of cans. They were on offer so he was money saving.. trying to explain that only works if he hadn't drank them all! In total he spent almost £27! Suppose the large bars will last a lot longer than an egg and probably cheaper too.
    No other spends and today should be spend free.

On the plus side I was looking in the fridge and saw the competition on the yoghurt tub so decided to enter. I won a nutribullet! We have a nutrininja so may be able to sell it when it arrives.
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 16-04-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 18th Apr 17, 10:47 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Just a quick update.
    Sunday was a NSD.
    Yesterday we spent £12 on bread milk and dishwasher tablets.
    Today should be a NSD too.

Last loan payment has left account, £419.83. It's not reached the loan account yet though. Will check it again later.

Total paid to debt so far this month £622. Due to doing a balance transfer and the higher final payment on the loan (it's usually £ 373) We will have paid more this month than planned, 13 days till the end of the month and just over £450 still in the grocery account. Not doing too bad so far, although we are ready for a big order, I might manage a few more days yet.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 19th Apr 17, 12:17 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Wasn't a NSD after all. DH had fetched some sausage rolls and pasty on his way home this morning. I didn't see them till later. He said he spent 'about a fiver'.

On the debt front, I've just paid the credit cards that aren't on DD, another £250 so a total of £872! Still 2 cards to go and I've just had a huge feeling that one of those I've just paid may have gone to DD, I've paid it on receiving the email instead of waiting for the letter. It might get paid double and I'll need to use the extras account. Thought I was doing so well.

I have just used the home account to order a bed, the pain is getting to much. I suppose at least the money was there and it hasn't been added to the cards. It was on offer and I was tempted to wait for staff double discount in a few weeks but knowing my luck, they wouldn't be on offer any more.

Had email for insurance renewal so need to look at that.
    I've put loads of things on facebook, still new in boxes at half original price and had no interest at all.

Total spends so far since starting diary
    Grocery: £123 (£10 was nappies and deodorant)
    Entertainment: £85 (higher than I usually expect due to easter and new DVD releases)
    Home: £633
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 19th Apr 17, 1:58 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    The loan payment has gone through and it's disappeared from my account. After 5 years I was hoping to see a 0 balance but at least it's gone.

Looking at next month's wages already and will only manage minimum payments I think as my entire wage is just sick pay. Should do better the month after as we get 2 pay dates in that month and hopefully I'll be back full time by then.

Looks like I might need an op, so going to speak to manager about working extra shifts but saving it up to be paid while I'm off as T/L instead of going off sick again, can only ask I suppose as want to save my holidays to enjoy with the kids not for recovery.

Today should be a NSD as need to start clearing the room, still haven't decorated though.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 20th Apr 17, 11:13 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Just a quick update.
    Been a high spend today. Dh fetched pasties and dishwasher cleaner on his way home. I had to send d's for bread and milk, another £5.
    Done an iceland order for tomorrow £57 and then I realised we had nothing for tea and dh was back on nights so we ended up with takeaway treat night a week early (kids were promised last weekend of the month if we do we'll the rest of the month) £30.

Tomorrow will be a high spend too. All 5 children going to hairdressers before going back to school, they haven't had a haircut for 18 months at least and they are starting to look more than ready. Still need to get 2 pairs of pe trainers and summer dresses for the girls and trousers for d's, he's only 13 but think I'm going to have to pay for adult black trousers.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 21st Apr 17, 2:55 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Took all 5 children to the hairdressers and wasn't too bad, £25 altogether. Considering how much they chopped off each one I don't think it was bad. Thinking of having mine done next week, it's not been done in years.

Iceland shop was just under £57 but forgot to defrost the freezer first, hoping I can play jenga in the big freezer for now and wedge it all in.

Helped my niece fill in her first application form. Hoping we have done ok.

Still haven't sorted uniform bits, will be a job for tomorrow I think. Also need to check the bank today so I can keep an eye on everything.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,503Posts Today

6,341Users online

Martin's Twitter