PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Cannot afford the Rent Anymore.

Options
Hi all,

I was in a decent paid job last year but, self employed. This came to an end this January and I have now taken a job on pretty much half of the salary but a permanent job PAYE and very good prospects.

My concern is now that I am really struggling to pay the rent without sacrificing things such as heating, food etc. I can just about get by but I need to find somewhere cheaper to live and fast.

So, here is the problem, our current landlord took £200 deposit, that is all. We have 2 dogs and she is fi9ne with that. I have looked at alternative private renting but the admin fees and deposit require me to save up over £1000. IMPOSSIBLE!

I have applied for the council but we are a couple with dogs, very unlikely we will get anywhere. Everywhere says no pets.

What are we to do without upsetting our current landlord as she has been lovely throughout.

Thanks in advance
:j

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,703 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What about things like mobile phone contracts, Sky, gym membership, look at cutting anything. I will not suggest (as some might do) you get rid of your dogs, but cheaper brand of dog food.

Does your partner work?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Placitasgirl
    Placitasgirl Posts: 391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 March 2017 at 2:56PM
    Options
    Are you eligible for/receiving Housing Benefit? Can you or your partner pick up some extra work at weekends or evenings to increase your income?

It might be worth you posting your SOA (Statement of Affairs) on the "Debt Free Wannabe" board so that people can help and advise you on your income and expenditure and suggest any ways of helping reduce your outgoings/maximise what's coming in.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ultimately you need to move to a new home you can afford on your reduced income. Do you have anything you can sell to help raise enough money to pay the costs of moving? Instead of looking for properties where the landlord uses a letting agent try to find a landlord that manages the property themselves, this usually means lower referencing fees.
  • tawecdl
    tawecdl Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What about things like mobile phone contracts, Sky, gym membership, look at cutting anything. I will not suggest (as some might do) you get rid of your dogs, but cheaper brand of dog food.

Does your partner work?

We are both on practically minimum wage, we have applied for hb, no good. We have applied for working tax but because my earning were over 28k in 2015-2016 we are not entitled to that.

I have cancelled sky and gone with talktalk with a free mobile sim which is really cheap and happy with that.

I cancelled gym and dog food is aldi 6 cans for £2.50 and they are only jack russells so that lasts a week.

we aldi shop for our food spending less than £30 a week on ourselves. there is just no other way to cut costs I just cannot afford the rent without dipping into my electric money (we don't have gas) I have lent money off family to cover the rent last month and my rent is now due on the 1st and I am in panic mode. We have been there nearly 2 years now and never had trouble before.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you've lent money to your family can you not ask for this back?
  • tawecdl
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Ultimately you need to move to a new home you can afford on your reduced income. Do you have anything you can sell to help raise enough money to pay the costs of moving? Instead of looking for properties where the landlord uses a letting agent try to find a landlord that manages the property themselves, this usually means lower referencing fees.

We have looked at openrent but that is the only website I know of and they pretty much only have shared accommodation with no pets allowed.

I need a quick solution

I would move to a 2 bed flat today but how with no deposit or anything to sell other than a dodgy hoover lol.

Are there any other websites that advertise similar to openrent?
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    Any chance you could borrow the cost of moving from your family?

If you are not going to be able to pay your rent 1st April then let your landlord know now. Not paying the rent is bad, not giving your landlord the heads up is worse.
  • Pixie5740
    Options
    tawecdl wrote: »
    We have looked at openrent but that is the only website I know of and they pretty much only have shared accommodation with no pets allowed.

I need a quick solution

I would move to a 2 bed flat today but how with no deposit or anything to sell other than a dodgy hoover lol.

Are there any other websites that advertise similar to openrent?

There are a few companies who let self-managing landlords advertise on RightMove and Zoopla. You could also try Gumtree but you should approach that avenue with caution.

http://www.propertyinvestmentproject.co.uk/blog/how-to-advertise-your-buy-to-let-on-rightmove/

No deposit and two dogs is going to be a tough if not impossible sell.
  • tawecdl
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Any chance you could borrow the cost of moving from your family?

If you are not going to be able to pay your rent 1st April then let your landlord know now. Not paying the rent is bad, not giving your landlord the heads up is worse.

We made her aware of our situation the day I lost my last job. She just said she needed it on the day it is due and that is it. I had to lend £200 off my family for this, they cannot lend me any more.

TBH I was hoping there may be a council scheme for people in this situation. I heard mention of a rent deposit scheme?
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    A lot of properties advertise as 'no pets', but that doesn't necessarily mean no pets.
    It's at the landlords discretion and they can be flexible, I've rented a couple of 'no pets' flats with cats and have paid an extra pet deposit.

But if you're struggling with rent now what makes you think you're going to be able to manage if you move, is the rent you're paying at the moment unusually high for the area, or would you be willing to downsize?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure