Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sally
    • By MSE Sally 6th Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    • 69Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Sally
    0 WOW
    Cheap airport lounge access
    • 6th Mar 17, 4:10 PM
    0 WOW
    Cheap airport lounge access 6th Mar 17 at 4:10 PM

Hi folks

We've written a new Cheap Airport Lounge Access guide and would love your feedback on your top lounges as well as any other tips you've got to get in free or cheaply. The lounges to avoid would also be helpful!

Thank you

MSE Sally
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 6th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 10,496 Posts
    • 6,888 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 6th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    link does not work - Whoops!
    Sorry, you've landed on a page that doesn't exist.
    • MSE Sally
    • By MSE Sally 6th Mar 17, 4:41 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    MSE Sally
    • 6th Mar 17, 4:41 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 4:41 PM
    Sorry Caz3121 - it should work now?
    • Westin
    • By Westin 6th Mar 17, 9:38 PM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 724 Thanks
    Westin
    • 6th Mar 17, 9:38 PM
    • 6th Mar 17, 9:38 PM
    "If you're on your honeymoon or celebrating a special anniversary or birthday, dress well, be polite and ask nicely at check-in to see if they'll let you have a couple of passes. It's likely to work better if there are only a couple of you as opposed to a larger group, but it never hurts to ask. Hopefully you'll get a yes, but if not you've not lost anything. Hey, why not ask if they'll upgrade the flight for you too?"

- REALLY?
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 8th Mar 17, 6:34 PM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 3,070 Thanks
    stoneman
    • 8th Mar 17, 6:34 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 6:34 PM
    "If you're on your honeymoon or celebrating a special anniversary or birthday, dress well, be polite and ask nicely at check-in to see if they'll let you have a couple of passes. It's likely to work better if there are only a couple of you as opposed to a larger group, but it never hurts to ask. Hopefully you'll get a yes, but if not you've not lost anything. Hey, why not ask if they'll upgrade the flight for you too?"

- REALLY?
    Originally posted by Westin

Giving people advice like this will only cause embarrassment when they ask.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 8th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 3,070 Thanks
    stoneman
    • 8th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 6:38 PM
    Apply for the Amex Gold Rewards card (fee waived for the first year and £11 cashback on Quidco) It comes with 2 free passes issued by Lounge Club.

There after you are supposed to get charged £15 each time you use it (billed to your Amex account) but we have used ours 14 times(7x2 pax) and never been charged
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
    • russetred
    • By russetred 9th Mar 17, 10:07 AM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 9,204 Thanks
    russetred
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:07 AM
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:07 AM
    My lounge quoted £18 pp online but went through Virgin frequent flyer club and got it for £12pp plus a few ff miles.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
    • richardw
    • By richardw 9th Mar 17, 10:58 AM
    • 17,767 Posts
    • 7,222 Thanks
    richardw
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:58 AM
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:58 AM
    Don't forget the small print which can often say that lounge entry is subject to the lounge not being full, this could happen to you if you're travelling on a peak day at a peak time.

Some lounges have poor food offerings, I've seen people sneak burger meals in and eat them in the lounge.

Many flights to the UK from Europe are from airside gates that are beyond a passport check, lounges can sometimes be a distance from these gates, always allow enough time getting from the lounge to the gate. There's lots of information about lounges on the net, google is your friend.
    Last edited by richardw; 09-03-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 9th Mar 17, 11:16 AM
    • 12,293 Posts
    • 16,458 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 9th Mar 17, 11:16 AM
    • 9th Mar 17, 11:16 AM
    There after you are supposed to get charged £15 each time you use it (billed to your Amex account) but we have used ours 14 times(7x2 pax) and never been charged
    Originally posted by stoneman
    How long have you had it? I've had lounge bills take several months to come through.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 9th Mar 17, 4:00 PM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 3,070 Thanks
    stoneman
    How long have you had it? I've had lounge bills take several months to come through.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    I had mine a year or so ago and never got charged. We have used OH's last time a couple of months ago, again not been charged. It is a continuing theme over on HfP
    • HeimRoller
    • By HeimRoller 12th Apr 17, 11:09 AM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 1,025 Thanks
    HeimRoller

Giving people advice like this will only cause embarrassment when they ask.
    Originally posted by stoneman
    Not always. I was flying up to Edinburgh quite frequently around 12 years ago when BMI and BA had separate classes on that route. I probably asked for an upgrade around 10 times and would say I was successful around 8 times. It was all about a gut feel for the person checking me in and how the conversation was going, waiting for an opening to mention an upgrade etc.
    I have also blagged lounges on long haul flights in the same way, just see how the conversation is going at check in, see if you are building up a rapport, and then just throw a comment into the conversation along the lines of "the airport/journey was quiet this morning, and now I have 3 hours to waste. I don't suppose there is any way I could be allowed to use the airline lounge is there as there doesn't seem to be much seating around here". As Martin says, the worse they can say is "no".
    • wondercollie
    • By wondercollie 13th Apr 17, 12:27 AM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 7,892 Thanks
    wondercollie
    Air Canada will always refuse you access to their lounge unless you pay for it.

We had a 12 hour wait in Montreal after an overnight redirection caused by their mechanical difficulties. We asked for lounge passes because of the delays they caused. Turned down flat. They don't even offer meal vouchers.
    • newuser86
    • By newuser86 14th Apr 17, 11:09 AM
    • 163 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    newuser86
    I would be amazed if any airline gave free vouchers for lounges. Most arent run by the airlines and the others are for business class or elite members so can't imagine they would want anyone in there.
    As said before get either an Amex gold, or even better the Amex platinum. The priority pass is excellent and have used mine at least 12 times in the last two months,
    • Annie8888
    • By Annie8888 18th Apr 17, 9:09 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Annie8888
    Manchester Terminal 1
    We are looking at booking the Manchester lounge, but have read different reports. Some say food and drink are included in the price, others say they are extra. Has anyone been there who would like to let us know what it's like? Thank you.
    • Annie8888
    • By Annie8888 18th Apr 17, 9:12 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Annie8888
    Checking in
    Asking for an upgrade or lounge access when checking in is good, but what about the fact that most people check in on line now, to make sure they get the seats they want?
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 18th Apr 17, 9:20 AM
    • 561 Posts
    • 475 Thanks
    Sicard
    I fly Business class from Malta to and from either Gatwick or Heathrow and their lounges are included in the price and are excellent.
    Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
    Isaac Asimov
    • SandC
    • By SandC 18th Apr 17, 12:22 PM
    • 3,757 Posts
    • 5,566 Thanks
    SandC
    We are looking at booking the Manchester lounge, but have read different reports. Some say food and drink are included in the price, others say they are extra. Has anyone been there who would like to let us know what it's like? Thank you.
    Originally posted by Annie8888
    Hi Annie, I've used both the Aspire lounge and Escape lounge at terminal 1. Both have free food and drink included but it's nothing very fancy. EG breakfast is sausage/bacon baps, porridge, other cereal, pastries. After 11am I think there's soup and sandwiches, cakes, biscuits etc.

I wouldn't book it based on the food choices personally, but I like a couple of glasses of wine or G&Ts and the cost of a lounge becomes worth it for a sandwich/bap and some fruit, biscuits etc. and 2/3 drinks. The last time I had a large wine in a bar at Manchester it was about £7.50. I prefer Aspire purely because there are large windows overlooking the gates. Escape I believe has better food choice but no windows.

I like to use them as at times the main airport can be rammed with people and difficult to get served and seated in the eateries. At other times it's no problem at all.

I would just say don't expect an executive type VIP experience because it's not, but it is away from the hustle and bustle (which a lot of people like anyway as part of the holiday experience).
    • undetterred
    • By undetterred 18th Apr 17, 9:41 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    undetterred
    Hi Annie, I've used both the Aspire lounge and Escape lounge at terminal 1. Both have free food and drink included but it's nothing very fancy. EG breakfast is sausage/bacon baps, porridge, other cereal, pastries. After 11am I think there's soup and sandwiches, cakes, biscuits etc.

I wouldn't book it based on the food choices personally, but I like a couple of glasses of wine or G&Ts and the cost of a lounge becomes worth it for a sandwich/bap and some fruit, biscuits etc. and 2/3 drinks. The last time I had a large wine in a bar at Manchester it was about £7.50. I prefer Aspire purely because there are large windows overlooking the gates. Escape I believe has better food choice but no windows.

I like to use them as at times the main airport can be rammed with people and difficult to get served and seated in the eateries. At other times it's no problem at all.

I would just say don't expect an executive type VIP experience because it's not, but it is away from the hustle and bustle (which a lot of people like anyway as part of the holiday experience).
    Originally posted by SandC

Is the lounge self serve on alcohol? or do you getting watched over with how much is consumed??
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 18th Apr 17, 9:56 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 819 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Is the lounge self serve on alcohol? or do you getting watched over with how much is consumed??
    Originally posted by undetterred
    Bar service - thankfully.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 19th Apr 17, 8:50 AM
    • 583 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Ganga
    Originally posted by undetterred
    We used the Cheviot Lounge at Newcastle Airport many years ago,it was £16 each, do not know if it is still going as we have a Aspire Lounge now,anyway it was self service,the beer was bottled and in a cooler,had Bud,Amstell,Becks etc.The wine was help yourself from the bottle with the spirits the same,the food was poor but did not see anybody drunk.
    One tip - the pass for the lounge was only two hours and gave you entry time,but did not give two hours as you had to leave early to go to the gate.
    We went an hour earlier and explained that we would leave an hour earlier to go to the gate,no probs and managed two and half hours in the lounge,was it worth it? do not know,had a couple of drinks each and sat in comfort away from the crowds.Do not know what they charge these days
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

294Posts Today

2,136Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin